1234 users online (269 members and 965 guests)  

Websleuths News

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    belimom is offline Our lives begin to end the day we become silent about things that matter ~MLK Jr

Pregnant woman given abortion pill by mistake

This is awful - that poor mom. I really hope her baby is okay...

http://www.cafemom.com/group/107984/..._Abortion_Pill

T. LUPTON, Colo. -- She is six weeks pregnant and when she went to the pharmacy to pick up an antibiotic her doctor had prescribed, the pharmacist gave her an abortion drug by mistake.Mareena Silva might lose her unborn child because of the prescription drug error, which occurred last Thursday."I took it because I thought it was mine," Silva said.

There's also a CNN video:
    http://www.cnn.com/video/#/video/hea...ll.kmgh?hpt=C2
    Fly high and free, Jhessye ~

My posts are meant to help think through possibilities and are strictly an additional opinion under circumstances when many points of view need to be considered. I apologize in advance to anyone whose potential involvement is contemplated in error. Please understand that much of what is happening is merely brainstorming during unfortunate events.

When I'm prescribed a new medication I always research it first on the internet.(not wikipedia) As a matter of fact I have several medications I have never taken because of the side effects. Even if the baby lives what kind of medical problems will this child suffer the rest of it's life. There is going to be one heck of a lawsuit, I'm betting.
    Last edited by legalmania; 02-08-2011 at 11:45 AM.
    It's almost been a year since we did our last show.Jay Bush my partner has been auditioning for the show Shark Tank and so this has put the show on hold. If he gets on Shark Tank, we will be terribly delayed. Good luck Jay. Either way we will one day continue the show and have the coolest global independent radio station out there. This is just a small video we did with one of our artists.Waiting for One and their tune 35 years. Check it out.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W7Go80y20fA
    We hope to be doing a radio show with all our artists real soon. Hope you can join in the fun. Please bare with us while we improve the show especially the sound.
    Laserdog Enterprises would like to bring you our version of a Tribute to the Angels of Newtown. Another school shooting in Georgia thankfully no children were hurt.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=axOGOBT77Xs

Please take a few moments and visit the missing children site. We really need you.
    Click on the link to find a missing child,teen or adult.

http://www.missingkids.com/missingki...eCountry=en_US

Kimberlyd125 is offline Softball is for everyone. Fast pitch is for athletes.
    Oh my gosh!!! How horrilbe. Praying for this family.
    Glove Findin'
    Uniform Washin'
    Gatorade Gettin'
    Picture Takin'
    Always Cheerin'

Softball Mom

Gypseagirl is offline If JA gets off-there is absolutely NO Justice!!
    This is extremely sad. I wish she would have checked if it was her medication first before she took it. I really hope the baby will be fine.

Legalmania: I agree I think I see a lawsuit in the future also.

Same last name. Human error. SafeWay apologized.

Are you kidding me? How many people have the last name Silva that use that Pharmacy? What are the chances they screwed up many more times?

This poor woman. Can you even imagine the rest of her pregnancy how she will worry?

That's a nasty drug. Here's an overview of it on Wiki. Methotrexate.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Methotrexate
    Last edited by KateB; 06-15-2015 at 06:38 PM. Reason: repair url tag.

OMG I heard about this the other day. So so sad!!!! I def see a lawsuit in the future, and rightfully so! Let this be a reminder to all of us, you gotta check things for yourself. Cannot trust someone else to do it, always read labels!

Some years ago, a nurse almost gave me 10 times the amount of a typhoid vaccination (the live form) than prescribed. The only reason why it was prevented was that I was bored waiting in the examination room and read the entire box and insert which said that a shot should be .01mg. I then overheard the head nurse tell the junior nurse to give me 1.0mg. Had I not read the material I would not have known this was wrong and would not have had the opportunity to say "um. you know that is supposed to be 0.01 mg, right?" A doctor later told me that 1.0mg would have probably killed me. I pay much more attention to vaccines, medications, and dosages every since then. Honest accidents can be fatal.
    Last edited by Cypros; 02-08-2011 at 09:05 PM.

I would be so angry, and yet too terrified to even move. Pregnancy is supposed to be a happy time, and all this woman can do is wait, worry, and pray. I feel so sorry for her, and I hope that she and baby are able to have normal lives after this.
    JMO. Unless there's a link, I can't prove it.

Quote Originally Posted by Cypros View Post
    Some years ago, a nurse almost gave me 10 times the amount of a typhoid vaccination (the live form) than prescribed. The only reason why it was prevented was that I was bored waiting in the examination room and read the entire box and insert which said that a shot should be .01mg. I then overheard the head nurse tell the junior nurse to give me 1.0mg. Had I not read the material I would not have known this was wrong and would not have had the opportunity to say "um. you know that is supposed to be 0.01 mg, right?" A doctor later told me that 1.0mg would have probably killed me. I pay much more attention to vaccines, medications, and dosages every since then. Honest accidents can be fatal.
    Scary! You had angels intervening for you that day, thank God!
    My posts are and believe it or not I've put some thought into 'em.

I am normally against the instant response of suing whenever something happens but in this case I hope she is the new owner of Safeway.

Quote Originally Posted by dairygirl View Post
    i am normally against the instant response of suing whenever something happens but in this case i hope she is the new owner of safeway.
    Exactly!
    My posts are and believe it or not I've put some thought into 'em.

That's scary......at a time when she should be her happiest she has to fear for her baby's life

at my drug store, they always check my address before handing me the prescription, not to mention asking if I've taken the drug before (even when my file clearly shows I've taken it for years) and asking if I have any questions or would like to speak to a pharmacist

beyond that, the label on the bag clearly indicates my name, address and the name of the prescription; inside the bag are instructions that the drug store prints out for every prescription; on the bottle is my name, name of the prescription as well as dosage instructions

do pharmacies in Colorado do these things?

Quote Originally Posted by LadyL View Post
    at my drug store, they always check my address before handing me the prescription, not to mention asking if I've taken the drug before (even when my file clearly shows I've taken it for years) and asking if I have any questions or would like to speak to a pharmacist

beyond that, the label on the bag clearly indicates my name, address and the name of the prescription; inside the bag are instructions that the drug store prints out for every prescription; on the bottle is my name, name of the prescription as well as dosage instructions

do pharmacies in Colorado do these things?
    Once a month, I fill my prescriptions at the same pharmacy. Often the person helping me is the same person as the last time I was there. Every time, they verify my name and birthday, and they don't ask me if I've taken it before because it's a repeating refill.

I have an extremely common name, so I do tend to double check things. Once, while at my bank they pulled up someone else's bank account information, because she had the same name as me.

They then ask for my birthday again, when they ring it up. I guess they have to enter something to make sure they ask. I'll admit that I get a bit lax on my part about double checking because I do it so often. This case is a wake up call to pay attention.
    I started out with nothing, and I still have most of it left.

Drugs are so darn scary. For an abortion pill, it should have a very large red warning on the bottle -- not to mention an automatic consult with the pharmacist. Reminds me when I was in the hospital for my hys (gone bad). STOOPID nurse had me on morphine, but they also had the button I could push. SO I was given morphine automatically, and unknowlingly boosting myself. Well when my respiration went down to 7 breaths per minute did they realize - OOPS. I was almost trached -- but instead willed myself to stay up for 24 hours (after a 10 hour surgery) and had to force myself to breath.

I am so sorry for what this poor woman is going through. And I, too, hope she owns Safeway when she sues them!

MOO

Mel

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast