906 users online (156 members and 750 guests)  

Websleuths News

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

WI - Ruby Klokow charged for baby's death, Sheboygan, 1957

http://www.azcentral.com/news/articl...aby-death.html

Ruby Klokow, 74, of Sheboygan was charged this month in the 1957 death of her daughter, after her son came forward to police in 2008 with stories of horrific childhood abuse. Klokow was due to appear in court Wednesday afternoon for a preliminary hearing.

...'
    No charges were filed after Jeaneen's death in 1957. Ruby Klokow told police the baby had fallen off a sofa while she was tending to a crying James. A family doctor told police the parents were "irresponsible," but he didn't think there was anything criminal about Jeaneen's death.

Another of Ruby's children, Scott, was found dead in his crib seven years later under circumstances that are unclear; no charges have ever been filed in that case.

In Jeaneen's case, an autopsy found Jeaneen suffered two brain hemorrhages, a partially collapsed lung and three scalp bruises. A forensic pathologist who recently reviewed the documents said the severity of the injuries was not consistent with Klokow's explanation.

Read more: http://www.azcentral.com/news/articl...#ixzz1DTlfCXx5

http://abcnews.go.com/US/wisconsin-m...ry?id=12867081

For 50 years, James Klokow had believed what his mother told him; that he was responsible for his baby sister's death.

Since he was 3, Klokow said, he believed that his crying distracted mother Ruby Klokow from looking after his 7-month-old sister, Jeaneen. If not for him, he was told his whole life, his mother would have kept the infant from falling off a sofa, smashing her skull and dying instantly.

Now a different story has emerged and his mother, 74, is sitting in a Wisconsin jail, awaiting trial for allegedly killing her daughter in 1957.

"James Klokow has spent his like thinking: 'I was responsible. My mother always told me Jeaneen died because I was fussy.' He finally realized he wasn't at fault," Sheboygan, Wis., District Attorney Joe DeCecco said today.

http://www.abajournal.com/news/artic..._54_years_ago/

I know hind-sight is 20/20, but what took so long??? I get that the living children may have been scared, I understand that. But where was the state of Wisconsin in all of this? I live here and can speculate all day....

Seriously...I am at a loss for words. This is so sad....

(from the link/article)

"Klokow’s sister, Judith Post, told AP that she once saw Klokow toss baby Jeaneen to Klokow's husband, who made no effort to catch the child. “I blame both of them,” she said"

Quote Originally Posted by masnitram View Post
    http://www.abajournal.com/news/artic..._54_years_ago/

I know hind-sight is 20/20, but what took so long??? I get that the living children may have been scared, I understand that. But where was the state of Wisconsin in all of this? I live here and can speculate all day....

Seriously...I am at a loss for words. This is so sad....

(from the link/article)

"Klokow’s sister, Judith Post, told AP that she once saw Klokow toss baby Jeaneen to Klokow's husband, who made no effort to catch the child. “I blame both of them,” she said"
    Sadly it seems back in the day this was not all that uncommon.

Marie Noe from Philadelphia murdered her children one after another and got away with it. Like you said hindsight and all, and people look back and go "Hmmmmm, I took her to the hospital and never thought".

Part of Marie Noe's pleas was she had to allow "Doctor's" to study her. Her husband has died. She's alone last I read.

How sad for this family of children. Horrific.

Wow. This is wild. How sad for the older brother to have to grow up with the guilt that his mother placed in his head. At least now little Jeaneen will get some justice.

West Palm Beach (Palm Beach County) Florida
    Quote Originally Posted by January. View Post
    Wow. This is wild. How sad for the older brother to have to grow up with the guilt that his mother placed in his head. At least now little Jeaneen will get some justice.
    I can't even imagine being a little kid and having your mom tell you it was your fault your little sister died. How sad and what a evil woman!

Personally I don't think it matters that it happened many years ago, Jeaneen died because of head trauma. I also suspect this other child will have the same.

RIP Jeaneen, hopefully you will have justice.

http://www.fox11online.com/dpp/news/...57-murder-case

Update:
    Updated: Tuesday, 16 Oct 2012, 5:39 PM CDT
    Published : Tuesday, 16 Oct 2012, 4:26 PM CDT

SHEBOYGAN (AP) - A Sheboygan woman accused of killing her baby daughter 55 years ago was found competent to stand trial Tuesday, clearing the way for a jury trial that likely will begin in January.

Ruby C. Klokow, who was charged after her adult son came forward in 2008 with stories of horrific childhood abuse, never claimed mental incompetence. But her attorney had raised concerns about her ability to assist in her own defense and requested a competency exam.

A Wisconsin woman accused of killing her infant daughter nearly 56 years ago has reached a plea deal that calls for 45 days in jail.
    She was also given 10 years' probation. The light sentence + probation was a result of her being 76 years old and having poor health. Not exactly justice, IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by STEADFAST View Post
    She was also given 10 years' probation. The light sentence + probation was a result of her being 76 years old and having poor health. Not exactly justice, IMO.
    If she serves the full 45 days I can feel comfortable about it. At her age jail will be 4 times harder on her than on younger prisoners.

I wonder if any of her kids will visit her in jail?
    Just when I think that I have seen the most depraved things a human can do to another human, somebody posts a new story...........

Why is it that when a custodial parent fails to provide for a child it is called neglect and is a criminal matter. But when a non custodial parent fails to provide it is called failure to support and is a civil matter?

"Just when the caterpillar thought its world was over, it became a butterfly" ~ Michelle Knight

Murder is murder, no matter the age/health of the perp. That sentence is a joke, IMO. I am guessing there is some sort of statute of limitations or something??? What else can explain this sentence?

Dang she got more time than Marie Noe who murdered 8 of her children.

Marie Noe - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Back in 2010 Noe was supposedly dying. I haven't seen though that she is dead yet.

45 days for murdering your chid.
    Last edited by KateB; 05-16-2015 at 10:30 AM. Reason: repair url tag.

Quote Originally Posted by Filly View Post
    Dang she got more time than Marie Noe who murdered 8 of her children.

Marie Noe - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Back in 2010 Noe was supposedly dying. I haven't seen though that she is dead yet.

45 days for murdering your chid.
    unbelievable!
    "It seems our profound fascination with serial killers is matched by an equally profound lack of interest in their victims." - Vanessa Veselka

http://stoptheviolencemilwaukee.blogspot.com/

"This is a wonderful day. I have never seen this one ever before." Dr. Maya Angelou

F.L.Y. First love yourself!

Quote Originally Posted by deca View Post
    Murder is murder, no matter the age/health of the perp. That sentence is a joke, IMO. I am guessing there is some sort of statute of limitations or something??? What else can explain this sentence?
    Probably financial. At her age it is likely that she will be requiring a lot of health care. If she is in custody it is up to the state to pay for it.
    Just when I think that I have seen the most depraved things a human can do to another human, somebody posts a new story...........

Why is it that when a custodial parent fails to provide for a child it is called neglect and is a criminal matter. But when a non custodial parent fails to provide it is called failure to support and is a civil matter?

"Just when the caterpillar thought its world was over, it became a butterfly" ~ Michelle Knight

Quote Originally Posted by deca View Post
    I think she got off too easy. I do not see how statute of limitations would even be related to the punishment.

HMS Hood
    Mighty Hood
    Pennant Number: 51
    Motto: Ventis Secundis ("With Favourable Winds")
    May 15, 1920-May 24, 1941

The article gives a bit more detail, but I thought this quote said it all.

http://xfinity.comcast.net/articles/...other.Charged/

[DA] DeCecco said given Klokow's age and her medical issues, the plea agreement was in the best interest of the state. It would have been difficult to convince a jury that a woman who "looks like everyone's grandmother" was once "a very angry woman in her 20s who didn't want to be a mom, who lied to police," DeCecco said.
    Last edited by CatMama3; 02-25-2013 at 10:28 PM. Reason: it posted strangely
    pet me, feed me, pet me, feed me, pet me, feed me

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast