Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by rossva View Post
    I have taken a polygraph, after my house was involved in a home invasion. I was the victim, treated as the perp, answered every question 100% honestly, and was told I "failed miserably". I had absolutely no knowledge, or involvement with the home invasion, was 100% a victim. This was in Brevard County Florida.
    That's why I would never take one. For them to be nearly 100% accurate, I've seen so many of those shows on ID channel where murderers have passed their polygraphs while innocent loved ones of victims have failed.

If they were truly 100% accurate, it would be an asset however.

Plus, I like to give long, detailed answers and would be worried a cop would start yelling, "JUST ANSWER THE QUESTION!!!" lol.

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MLE For This Useful Post:

In regards to the polygraphs and accuracy...

Quote Originally Posted by HesterMofet View Post
    if polygraphs are so accurate, why aren't they allowed in court? Certainly if they were even as accurate as eyewitness testimony (which is notoriously unreliable), they would be allowed as evidence.

The website that is mentioned is a pro-polygraph site. I would like to see independent studies on the accuracy of polygraph testing.

Another issue is that they won't work on true sociopaths/psychopaths who have no guilt over what they have done. If they aren't emotionally heightened or stressed, they won't trip up the polygraph.

Even if I were clean as a whistle, I would never take a polygraph. Way too many variables and chances for things to go wrong.

I hate it when I read on here, "He must be guilty! He refused the polygraph!"
    That's just crap.
    HesterMofet, Yes so many variables can alter the results of a poly. One variable is the examiner's personality themselves. The tests have been known to read *Inconclusive* repeatedly. I know this as fact in regards to one particular examiner in the St Pete/Tampa area whose attitude is brutal...

The poor kid who had to take the poly got told it was *Inconclusive every time this guy did it and made him return half a dozen times. The teen was not lying. he was not hiding anything. Yet the test was always *Inconclusive* and therefore the examiner stated the teen MUST be hiding something when in fact he was not.

Ended up that the young man finally was allowed to take the poly with a different examiner in the area and he passed - I have personally met the examiner and he is a stand up guy.

I have a friend who took the poly for a job many years ago - mall security. *C* took the poly, and failed it..She could never lie it wasn't in her to be dishonest lol. She did end up getting the job after all...

SO many variables....
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing." Edmund Burke

"If you tell the truth you don't have to remember anything." ~Mark Twain

4. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Tracker For This Useful Post:

McWopetaz Metroplex, Illinois U. S. of A.
    Aldridge Ames, the Soviet spy, passed multiple polygraphs. Also passing their tests were Richard "The Wood-chipper Killer" Crafts, Mark "The Mormon Bomber" Hofmann and Gary "The Green River Killer" Ridgway.

On Kraft Suspense Theater it was called The Machine That Played God.

I think your attitude toward taking the test may actually be at least as important as the test itself. If you quickly and enthusiastically agree to take the test, after letting authorities bring it up first, then the assumption is going to be that you are innocent. I know because I did just that and the police were so impressed that they didn't even make me take the test. And to be clear, I was actually innocent too.

A lawyer would have told me not to take the test but he wouldn't know I was innocent where I did.

I saw somewhere they are about 60% accurate so flipping a coin plus 10%.
    Last edited by STANDREID; 07-02-2011 at 06:25 PM.
    This is my opinion and to the best of my knowledge, that is, if I'm not joking.

Stan Reid

6. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to STANDREID For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Kimster View Post
    Do you guys think polys are useful at all?
    I think it was useful in the Susan Smith case. Susan's test showed that her greatest level of deception was when she was asked the question; "Do you know where your children are?"

Other than that I don't think they are that useful. They can wrongfully accuse and people are able to beat them.
    It's only after we've lost everything that we're free to do anything.

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to JBounds For This Useful Post:

IMO-Interesting Read

I thought this pdf was very interesting.

The Lie Behind the Lie Detector

10. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Fuze For This Useful Post:

If anyone finds a case where someone's poly showed deception and they were found innocent, be sure to post it here.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Kimster For This Useful Post:

McWopetaz Metroplex, Illinois U. S. of A.
    As per reports, Bill Wegerle failed the poly regarding the murder of his wife. Later, it was proven conclusively that she was actually slain by BTK.
    This is my opinion and to the best of my knowledge, that is, if I'm not joking.

Stan Reid

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to STANDREID For This Useful Post:

If anyone finds a case where someone's poly showed deception and they were found innocent, be sure to post it here.
    Okay, first case that came to my mind was that of murdered little girl, Riley Fox, and her dad, Kevin Fox.

https://antipolygraph.org/cgi-bin/fo...num=1146566231

The case was a while back, am I remembering incorrectly?
    .... ....... My posts are my opinion, only.

16. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to smart blonde For This Useful Post:

Lord have mercy...I would probably flunk on my name and address. I am tightly wound.

18. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to stilettos For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by STANDREID View Post
    As per reports, Bill Wegerle failed the poly regarding the murder of his wife. Later, it was proven conclusively that she was actually slain by BTK.
    Wow. I didn't know that....
    I went to see what I could find, and it turns out this poor man failed the polygraph test twice, before it was proven beyond a shadow of a doubt that the 'BTK' serial killer was the actual murderer.

~Here are some supportive links:

http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2005/...in890980.shtml

https://antipolygraph.org/cgi-bin/fo...num=1128053453
    .... ....... My posts are my opinion, only.

20. The Following User Says Thank You to smart blonde For This Useful Post:

Up thread post #13 looks good to me. It's an interesting read.

22. The Following User Says Thank You to RANCH For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by HesterMofet View Post
    if polygraphs are so accurate, why aren't they allowed in court? Certainly if they were even as accurate as eyewitness testimony (which is notoriously unreliable), they would be allowed as evidence.

The website that is mentioned is a pro-polygraph site. I would like to see independent studies on the accuracy of polygraph testing.

Another issue is that they won't work on true sociopaths/psychopaths who have no guilt over what they have done. If they aren't emotionally heightened or stressed, they won't trip up the polygraph.

Even if I were clean as a whistle, I would never take a polygraph. Way too many variables and chances for things to go wrong.

I hate it when I read on here, "He must be guilty! He refused the polygraph!"
    That's just crap.
    IMO it's an emotion indicator, not a lie detector. And as one who works in electronics, I would never risk my freedom on any electronic device.

24. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to TrackerSam For This Useful Post:

"Researchers conducted 12 studies of the validity of field examinations, following 2, 174 field examinations, providing an average accuracy of 98%. Researchers conducted 11 studies involving the reliability of independent analyses of 1,609 sets of charts from field examinations confirmed by independent evidence, providing an average accuracy of 92%. Researchers conducted 41 studies involving the accuracy of 1,787 laboratory simulations of polygraph examinations, producing an average accuracy of 80%."

http://www.polygraph.org/section/res...idity-research
    I always believe that "surveys" and "research" done by a particular industry about its particular product will result in biased results. If I am a member of the Polygraphy Industry, and I conduct a study, I would never publish reports that showed the inaccuracy of the polygraph. That would be biting the hand that feeds me, that would contribute to a loss of MY income as a polygrapher. I would only publish the results that tended to support that my business is a sound and good one. So, IMO, any research carried about within the industry is biased at best.

It is interesting to note that this research freely admits that out of each 10 people who are polygraphed, TWO will get results which are NOT ACCURATE. I sure wouldn't want to be one of those two, would you?

Show me some studies done by independent researchers who do not have a financial interest in how the study turns out, and I might be interested.

Every polygrapher brings his own subjective bias into the test......if he has a predisposition to believe a subject is guilty, that is what he will see. When two polygraphers can look at the same results and one will believe the subject passed, and the other will believe the subject failed miserably, well something is wrong. When you add to the mix that the polygrapher can lie to the subject, that even further invalidates the test as a scientific one.

Every Law enforcement officer that I personally know has told me that they would never submit to a polygraph and that they would advice their family members to refuse the test, also. That really says something to me.

26. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to kgeaux For This Useful Post:

I agree. This site says "besides, polygraph doesn't detect lies, it detects changes in the physiology of the body, specifically at stimulus (questions)."

http://www.polygraphplace.com/ubb/No...ML/000219.html

I read somewhere that M.I.T. did a study on polygraph examinations and found them to be as accurate as tossing a coin. Newer technology may have increased the accuarcy since that study came out, but it all depends on the expertise of the polygrapher.

29. The Following User Says Thank You to Mac62 For This Useful Post:

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast