Sri Lanka's 'handball team' vanishes

Casshew

Former Member
Reaction score
Sri Lanka is trying to solve the mysterious disappearance of its "national handball team" while on tour in Germany, but it is no easy task - the country does not have such a team.

Acting German Ambassador to Sri Lanka, Heidi Jung, says the 23-strong "team" managed to fool the German Embassy in Colombo into issuing visas for a month-long tour beginning on September 8.

"They presented documents, and the documents looked all right, so there were no reasons to say we can't give you a visa," she said.

The group vanished soon after arrival and German and Sri Lankan officials have been unable to trace them. They are legally allowed to stay until October 7.

The BBC quotes German Sports Exchange Programme organiser, Dietmer Doering, as saying a note had been found saying the 23-strong team had gone to France.

"We initially thought the team had got lost in nearby woods while jogging," he said.

"We now know they crossed into Italy.

"They even left their dirty laundry," he added.

Sri Lankan Olympic Association president Hemasiri Fernando says the sport, popular in Europe, does not have a federation body in the country.

"We don't even have a single club," he said.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/newsitems/200409/s1201066.htm

When I first read "hand-ball," I thought you were talking about a bunch of hormone raging teenaged boys, but then I realized it was serious. They think these could be a bunch of terrorists who slipped in?

Maybe they were more interested in getting out of Sri Lanka than getting into any particular country. Could there have been some reason that the group couldn't leave Sri Lanka on its own volition?

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shmoozie
Back