2008.12 Stay at the Ritz

AlwaysShocked

Reaction score
Despite all the talk about and references to this hotel stay, I don't think anyone has ever really given an adequate explanation of how this came to be.

What we've heard is that the Anthonys stayed there because "they couldn't go home" due to too many people around/outside of their house.

Well, how did it come about that an ABC producer just happened to be on hand to reserve and pay for hotel rooms? And not just a room for the Anthonys but also for their "bodyguards" and their "PR lady".

Was this get-together preplanned long before Caylee's remains were discovered? If so, what would the purpose have been?

I always wondered about this also.
Yes I think it was preplanned maybe while the Anthonys were
even on the plane headed back from that Calif trip.

Wasn't it for ABC to secure an interview with the A's -- which never happened?

http://www.mediabistro.com/tvnewser/abc-news-pays-for-anthonys-stay-at-ritz-carlton_b22937

An ABC insider tells TVNewser the pricey hotel was picked because it had the best security. And with a horde of media trying to secure an interview with the Anthonys, ABC was simply being competitive. As it turns out, ABC did not get an interview that week, nor have they since.

I don't think the ABC producer just happened to be there ABC paid for this cozy trip, and the A's didn't give them the interview in the long run -- nice.

JMO

Mel

Add to this peculiarity the shows about Caylee aired Dec. 12, 2008, the day after her remains were found.

[ame="http://www.websleuths.com/forums/showpost.php?p=3045811&postcount=8"]Websleuths Crime Sleuthing Community - View Single Post - 2008.12.12 Today's Current News - ***NO DISCUSSIONS HERE PLEASE **[/ame]

What I've always thought more than a little fortunate was the fact that they were on the other side of the country when Caylee's little bones were discovered. Just so lucky for them that they had time to get their game face on, and, arrange a suitable location to concoct the next fabrication..

Then came the gathering around the camp fire of all the usual suspects (getting their story straight no doubt) including ABC front and center. I have a feeling that they were going to "find" the bones at their discretion but instead they got Kronked, must have been a nasty little shock.

I think this misstep made it impossible for them to rid their home of the rest of the incriminating evidence and they sent Mallory on a foray to grab anything she could get her hands on, luckily LE was having none of it...

I think it was all arranged by ABC with the complete cooperation of the Anthony's because they already knew where she was was. JMO

So the whole stay was purchased for security for the Anthony's and yet Casey's attorney, two private detectives, the spokesperson for the Anthony's and who else were there? Was Conway present at this time? Surely Baez was there to reassure the Anthony's that their princess was still in good hands...as long as Cynthia would still continue her media blitzes with the spin. He then was fast at work securing LKB and AL and HL. They planned the Big Top Circus atmosphere at the Ritz!

I don't know what to make of this. I try to put myself in CA's shoes. Caylee had been gone for about 5 months at this point. Then a baby's body, female, is found in the woods a few yards from my home. :tears: At that point, I would think that I would only want Caylee's family near me to commiserate with, remember her, grieve for her and I would think that if I truly believed that she had been abducted & alive for the past five months, that I would be in a state of shock & horror & anger at this time. I cannot see being with production company people or PI's or lawyers for the first couple days or so.

Since the A's were fine with being with production people, PI's & lawyers in the first hours of Caylee's remains being found, is that a dead give-away that none of them are surprised at this news? That she was probably murdered? Where is the shock, horror, rage at this surpising news? I am going to have to think about that. :sigh: :dunno:

MOO

Despite all the talk about and references to this hotel stay, I don't think anyone has ever really given an adequate explanation of how this came to be.

What we've heard is that the Anthonys stayed there because "they couldn't go home" due to too many people around/outside of their house.

Well, how did it come about that an ABC producer just happened to be on hand to reserve and pay for hotel rooms? And not just a room for the Anthonys but also for their "bodyguards" and their "PR lady".

Was this get-together preplanned long before Caylee's remains were discovered? If so, what would the purpose have been?

I don't know where they stayed the night of Dec11 after they returned to Orlando from California. Reports are they stayed at the Ritz Dec 11 to 14.

On Dec 11 LE secured the home, got a search warrant and searched until the next morning...
Dec 12 The A's were allowed to return home, they do back for about 1 hour to pick up some stuff and the dogs and headed off to the Ritz.

The A's could have stayed home IF they wanted to but they did not and stayed at the Ritz

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/community/orl-anthonys2009feb20,0,6051225.story
ABC producer paid for George, Cindy Anthony to stay at the Ritz

and to answer your question above that is BBM,. snipped from article
"The Ritz-Carlton stay came at a time when reporters from across the country were trying to find and talk to the Anthonys. Various experts have told the newspaper that networks and other media organizations frequently put up interview subjects in hotels to secure access while keeping them away from competitors."
Folmer(ABC Producer allegedly) told the Anthonys and the private investigators that she was not there to get a story."

Wasn't it for ABC to secure an interview with the A's -- which never happened?

http://www.mediabistro.com/tvnewser/abc-news-pays-for-anthonys-stay-at-ritz-carlton_b22937

An ABC insider tells TVNewser the pricey hotel was picked because it had the best security. And with a horde of media trying to secure an interview with the Anthonys, ABC was simply being competitive. As it turns out, ABC did not get an interview that week, nor have they since.

I don't think the ABC producer just happened to be there ABC paid for this cozy trip, and the A's didn't give them the interview in the long run -- nice.

JMO

Mel
IIRC...they flew home with them from CA. Now how "unique" is that?

IIRC...they flew home with them from CA. Now how "unique" is that?

I read here often but usually can't find anything to add to the wonderful discussions here at Websleuths, but I thought maybe this might be helpful. :twocents:

DC talks a little about this in his interview with LE on January 7, 2009. I have taken a few quotes from it, but it's an interesting read. They begin the discussion on Line 21, Page 49 at this link:

http://www.wftv.com/_blank/18750982/detail.html

Line 11, Page 53
JA: Alright. And you guys got to the, go to the hotel. And you, and you’re saying Michelle Bart is the one who to your knowledge made the hotel arrangements?
DC: She made those arrangements.

Line 18, Page 53
DC: Yeah (affirmative), we checked in.
JA: Okay.
DC: Uhm, it was Caitlyn there. Caitlyn uhm...
NS: Who’s Caitlyn?
DC: Caitlyn (Folmer or Fulmer) is with ABC.

Line 20, Page 55:
JA: Right. Now uhm, you, you guys met Caitlyn out at the hotel. What happened next?
DC: What happened next? We had dinner. I mean the Anthony’s stayed in their, uhm, I think you came out Brad. Brad came out to the hotel.
NS: Who else was there with you?
DC: Brad came out to the hotel. Uhm, there was Caitlyn. Oh, and then Lee and Mallory...
DC: ...came. Uhm, I spent time with George and Cindy.
DC: Uh, and then while we were having dinner, when we were having dinner there was, let’s see, there would be George and Cindy, Lee and Mallory, Caitlyn, James Hoover, myself.
DC: We were sitting there having dinner and the Jose Baez arrived.
DC: And we were probably three, three quarters of the way through dinner and Jose Baez arrived. And I think he just, I think he just been, I think he just visited with Casey I believe. He may have done.
DC: So he just stopped by and he was there for maybe fifteen minutes; twenty minutes. I’m not sure. It wasn’t very, very long. And he wanted to come by and, and let George and Cindy know that he had spoken to Casey and...
BC: And this was after I left...

(Or maybe we don't believe anything he says?)

I read here often but usually can't find anything to add to the wonderful discussions here at Websleuths, but I thought maybe this might be helpful. :twocents:

DC talks a little about this in his interview with LE on January 7, 2009. I have taken a few quotes from it, but it's an interesting read. They begin the discussion on Line 21, Page 49 at this link:

http://www.wftv.com/_blank/18750982/detail.html

Line 11, Page 53
JA: Alright. And you guys got to the, go to the hotel. And you, and you’re saying Michelle Bart is the one who to your knowledge made the hotel arrangements?
DC: She made those arrangements.

Line 18, Page 53
DC: Yeah (affirmative), we checked in.
DC: Uhm, it was Caitlyn there. Caitlyn uhm...
NS: Who’s Caitlyn?
DC: Caitlyn (Folmer or Fulmer) is with ABC.

Line 20, Page 55:
JA: Right. Now uhm, you, you guys met Caitlyn out at the hotel. What happened next?
DC: What happened next? We had dinner. I mean the Anthony’s stayed in their, uhm, I think you came out Brad. Brad came out to the hotel.
NS: Who else was there with you?
DC: Brad came out to the hotel. Uhm, there was Caitlyn. Oh, and then Lee and Mallory...
DC: ...came. Uhm, I spent time with George and Cindy.
DC: Uh, and then while we were having dinner, when we were having dinner there was, let’s see, there would be George and Cindy, Lee and Mallory, Caitlyn, James Hoover, myself.
DC: We were sitting there having dinner and the Jose Baez arrived.
DC: And we were probably three, three quarters of the way through dinner and Jose Baez arrived. And I think he just, I think he just been, I think he just visited with Casey I believe. He may have done.
DC: So he just stopped by and he was there for maybe fifteen minutes; twenty minutes. I’m not sure. It wasn’t very, very long. And he wanted to come by and, and let George and Cindy know that he had spoken to Casey and...
BC: And this was after I left...

(Or maybe we don't believe anything he says?)

He sure contradicts himself a lot. I got one psychic tip and a page later it`s up to a half dozen. Thanks for that link!!
How exactly did Ginette L. get his phone number I wonder if CA and GA were in California.
My Mom died of pancreatic cancer in July and I`m still having a hard time. The idea of going out for a steak dinner and crab puffs the day she was diagnosed, let alone the day she died would have been unthinkable and yet here these folks are, not surrounded by loved ones, but media and lawyers enjoying a big meal. WOW!!

Also...if the media was so thick and the As needed`seclusion and privacy, why are DC and CA sitting outside the lobby door on their walk instead of walking?

So the whole stay was purchased for security for the Anthony's and yet Casey's attorney, two private detectives, the spokesperson for the Anthony's and who else were there? Was Conway present at this time? Surely Baez was there to reassure the Anthony's that their princess was still in good hands...as long as Cynthia would still continue her media blitzes with the spin. He then was fast at work securing LKB and AL and HL. They planned the Big Top Circus atmosphere at the Ritz!

As pointed out above by Truth Prevails, Conway was at the Ritz. He didn't make his formal debut in the media until the Anthonys got home. He was suitably somber --- until he automatically spelled his name for the reporters.

Link: my memory. It's burned in there, although the video flickers once in a while.

What I've always thought more than a little fortunate was the fact that they were on the other side of the country when Caylee's little bones were discovered. Just so lucky for them that they had time to get their game face on, and, arrange a suitable location to concoct the next fabrication..

Then came the gathering around the camp fire of all the usual suspects (getting their story straight no doubt) including ABC front and center. I have a feeling that they were going to "find" the bones at their discretion but instead they got Kronked, must have been a nasty little shock.

I think this misstep made it impossible for them to rid their home of the rest of the incriminating evidence and they sent Mallory on a foray to grab anything she could get her hands on, luckily LE was having none of it...

I think it was all arranged by ABC with the complete cooperation of the Anthony's because they already knew where she was was. JMO

Just like they were all gathered at the hastily thrown together meet and greet the very morning that DC went to get Caylee.

This was always something that I found strange. The fact that the A's (lee and mallory inc) were out dining at the freakin Ritz the night Caylee's remains were found is beyond comprehension for me. I just don't get it... How do you as a family with a missing child sit at some fancy dancy place (thats totally out of your league... ) and dine on food with TV producers, lawyers... How did they all sit around that table and eat knowing... knowing that the remains of a small child were found at the top of their dang street? I mean hellllllo!!!! 1+1=2 !!!! Six months have gone by, at this point I think the A's were enjoying the spot light... THe fancy dinners, the paid trips, the cash in hand for SELLING pictures of Caylee, selling Caylees story...
The only thing I can think of is that they already knew that Caylee was gone. I think that they knew Caylee was soon to be found. I even believe that they knew her general location.

I hate to judge anyone, and say what is and isn't acceptable behavior in this situation because I myself have never been in their situation... But as a human being, how do you receive news like that and go out to dinner ? This wasn't shocking news to them... they knew something.

This was always something that I found strange. The fact that the A's (lee and mallory inc) were out dining at the freakin Ritz the night Caylee's remains were found is beyond comprehension for me. I just don't get it... How do you as a family with a missing child sit at some fancy dancy place (thats totally out of your league... ) and dine on food with TV producers, lawyers... How did they all sit around that table and eat knowing... knowing that the remains of a small child were found at the top of their dang street? I mean hellllllo!!!! 1+1=2 !!!! Six months have gone by, at this point I think the A's were enjoying the spot light... THe fancy dinners, the paid trips, the cash in hand for SELLING pictures of Caylee, selling Caylees story...
The only thing I can think of is that they already knew that Caylee was gone. I think that they knew Caylee was soon to be found. I even believe that they knew her general location.

I hate to judge anyone, and say what is and isn't acceptable behavior in this situation because I myself have never been in their situation... But as a human being, how do you receive news like that and go out to dinner ? This wasn't shocking news to them... they knew something.
I totally agree. The day after I found out my mother died suddenly, I had to force myself to eat a salad and fast food because I knew I had to eat...
It sure wasn't a fancy dinner at an expensive hotel!

IMO they already knew where Caylee was and it was a matter of time before "They" found her. RK blew that out one of the water.

I also thought BC met them at the airport here and told them then. I may be wrong on that one though.

IMO they already knew where Caylee was and it was a matter of time before "They" found her. RK blew that out one of the water.

I also thought BC met them at the airport here and told them then. I may be wrong on that one though.

..according to george-----civil depo----

Q And then we've heard about the staying out at
the Ritz back after they found your granddaughter. who was paying for that?

A I believe that was someone from ABC is the one
that felt compelled to help the family out. That would be something you'll have to ask them, sir. I knew nothing of that,sir, until the date I was taken off the airport. My wife and I -- that was -- that five-hourtrip from LA to back home --

Q I bet it was hard.

A -- not having no communication at all and not
knowing what's going on and to get whisked off that plane and taken to a location that we didn't even really realize until after we got there where we were at.

Q And when you say taken off the plane and
whisked, did they have a car waiting or something like that?

A oh, there was numerous -- numerous cars,
numerous people. To say how many cars, how many people, honestly, I have no idea.

Q okay.

A Is that something someone had planned for us?
I guess so. But who was -- who did it all-- I have no
idea.

Q All right. So when you landed, you didn't
know that was coming?

A Did not.

Q You didn't know anything about going to the
Ritz and all that was a surprise?

A Did not. All I know is when the flight
attendant came over to us when we were descending into Orlando, a lady come up and asked if we were the Anthonys and I said yes. She says we're asking you to stay on the plane until everyone has disembarked, and that was it.
Next thing I know I see law enforcement, TSA and I don't know who all else was there and said you have to come with us and that was it.

----jim hoover civil depo--

Q There came a time where the whole crew, you –and I use
the word "crew" loosely -- you, Dominic Casey,
some people from ABC news, the Anthonys, José Baez, all
ended up at the Ritz Carlton here --
A Yes, sir.

Q -- in Orlando.
A Yes, sir.

Q How did it come that you all ended up at the
Ritz Carlton?

A Well, as I said earlier, Dominic and I had
conversation. He asked me to meet him behind Bennigan's
in Orlando near the airport, and so after I met him. I
said, what's going on? There were a couple police --
there were a couple -- I think it's an Orange County
police officer -- anyway, there were several people there
and a limousine sitting there. They told me that George
and Cindy were on their way, and for me to follow the
limousine. He asked me to help crowd control, you know,
things that I do. And I said that's fine.

So I think I was there 15, 20 minutes maybe
and a police van pulled up and they got out. George got
out, put some luggage in the back of the -- anyway,
that's not important. They ended up getting in the
limousine and driving out to the Ritz Carlton and I
followed them out there.

Q When you got to the Ritz, who all was there
with your group?

A Well, George, Cindy and Dominic were in the
limo. I was in my vehicle following them, and we arrived
out there. Actually, they had got there before I did
because I got caught up in some traffic.

Ok...so someone please tell me where I read that the lady producer was on the plane ride with the As?

I thought the A's were notified of the discovery when they were boarding or just after they boarded the plane and we talked about the horror of them having to sit in agony until the plane could arrive. Maybe I'm wrong. Does anybody else remember it that way?

Yes, I too seem to remember that they knew about the finding of the remains when they got onto the plane. Maybe this was mentioned within the Morgan depos?

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taketherisk
Back