1224 users online (236 members and 988 guests)  

Websleuths News

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
    I don't know where else to post this. While Namus is wonderful...I find it very frustrating after days' of searching and comparing, I submit a Doe as a possible match, and then the response is: Already Submitted. There is a rulled out list, but not a submitted list for us to go by, a lot of time and energy goes into these searches before we submit...just wish this could be added at some point.

I don't know about NamUs because I haven't used it much but I have been using the Doe Network and Charley's project to try to match the missing with the UID.
    I agree that a ton of time goes into this and it can be frustrating. Some jurisdictions give very detailed accounts of the people and others barely anything. A lot seems to depend on the person submitting the information. I don't like that NamUs asks for specifics but again, I haven't used it much. I like searching the large databases myself. Hope you can contact someone about the submitted list. If I feel I have a good match, I call the police directly. I am pretty new to this so can you tell me if I am doing it correctly? Should I be using NamUs more? Do they have more info than Doe Network and Charlie's project? What about Porchlight International? Are there others out there aside from the individual state'
    s databases? I would love to take some kind of course on this to become a better searcher. Anyone know of such a course anywhere?

Quote Originally Posted by little lulu View Post
    I don't know where else to post this. While Namus is wonderful...I find it very frustrating after days' of searching and comparing, I submit a Doe as a possible match, and then the response is: Already Submitted. There is a rulled out list, but not a submitted list for us to go by, a lot of time and energy goes into these searches before we submit...just wish this could be added at some point.
    Indeed that would be useful -- it makes me wonder whether there is ever any point submitting anything except in cases where the MP or UID case has just gone up in the last day or two. The early bird and all that.

Currently there is a doe case that I'm working on that I'm not entirely sure they put the right race for. The doe was found in 1981 and is listed as "white" but to me he looks more Hispanic or Native American. Is there a way to ask a case manager to have DNA done to double check their findings?

My other question is I have a strong feeling that the doe I'm researching hasn't been reported missing. In that case, what is the next step? He has DNA and dental records so i don't feel like he's a lost cause, but I feel like I'm at a dead end.

I am sure this is a very dumb (and maybe obvious) question but I don't know where to find the answer nor ask the question! Is it always a guarantee that all NamUs cases (both MP and UP) have been cross-referenced for all identifiers available (fingerprints, DNA, dental)? So, once in their system, there is no chance there is a match waiting to be done? It sounds dumb as I ask!! It's a database so I am assuming this is true but is it always accurate?

Thank you!!

Quote Originally Posted by kat913 View Post
    I am sure this is a very dumb (and maybe obvious) question but I don't know where to find the answer nor ask the question! Is it always a guarantee that all NamUs cases (both MP and UP) have been cross-referenced for all identifiers available (fingerprints, DNA, dental)? So, once in their system, there is no chance there is a match waiting to be done? It sounds dumb as I ask!! It's a database so I am assuming this is true but is it always accurate?

Thank you!!
    I'm wondering the same thing. I can't find anywhere on NamUs that says DNA samples of missing and UIDs are automatically compared.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by kat913 View Post

Thank you!!
    After reading through the entire thread, I still share this question. This thread was started in 2011, but have there been any improvements to the NamUs system since then that would guarantee automatic comparisons?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3