NY NY - Tammie McCormick, 13, Saratoga Springs, 29 Apr 1986

Rle7

Reaction score
Missing since April 29, 1986 from Saratoga Springs, Saratoga County, New York.
Classification: Endangered Missing

Vital Statistics
  • Date Of Birth: July 3, 1972
  • Age at Time of Disappearance: 13 years old
  • Height and Weight at Time of Disappearance: 5'5; 108 pounds
  • Distinguishing Characteristics: White female. Shoulder length, light brown/blonde hair; hazel eyes.
  • Tattoos: Tammie has a homemade tattoo of "T.A.M." on her upper left arm.
  • Clothing: An over sized, yellow and white striped shirt; black corduroy pants; and beige, high heeled boots. Jean Jacket. She was carrying a shoulder bag.
  • Dentals: Available.
  • DNA: Available.
Circumstances of Disappearance
Tammie McCormick, of 5 Deerleap Place, was last seen was last seen by family members the morning of April 29 before she attempted to catch the bus to the Saratoga Springs Junior High School, where she was a student. She missed the bus, and she never made it to the junior high school. She may have tried to hitchhike. She has not been seen, heard from or spotted by anyone since then.

Police were concerned early on, as she did not leave a note and did not take a change of clothing with her.
Her mother waited until two days later to report her daughter missing to the police because she thought Tammie may have stayed at a friend's. She said Tammie often stayed overnight with her friends, but would call the next morning to say she was OK.
Foul play is suspected.

Investigators
If you have any information concerning McCormick's whereabouts, please contact:
Saratoga Springs Police Department
518-584-1800
You may remain anonymous when submitting information to any agency.

Agency Case Number:
GPDS0706

NCMEC #:
NCMC603748

NCIC Number:
M-197508885
Please refer to this number when contacting any agency with information regarding this case.

Source Information:
The National Center For Missing and Exploited Children
New York State Police
NamUs

http://www.doenetwork.org/cases/327dfny.html

http://www.charleyproject.org/cases/m/mccormick_tammie.html

Police have apparently identified a former corrections officer at Mount McGregor Correctional Facility as a primary suspect in their investigation of a nearly 25-year-old missing person case.

Citing anonymous law enforcement sources, The Post Star's news partner, WNYT News Channel 13, reported Monday that police suspect Arthur Mason Slaybaugh abducted and killed 13-year-old Tammie McCormick in 1986.

McCormick, a seventh-grader at the time, left her Saratoga Springs home on April 29 for what was then the Saratoga Springs Junior High School. She was never seen again.

Slaybaugh, who lived in the Saratoga Lake area, died in 2001, at age 41, of a heart attack. He reportedly had served as a mentor to a friend of McCormick's.

http://poststar.com/news/local/410ffa58-3883-11e0-9f17-001cc4c03286.html

http://www.timesunion.com/local/article/Cops-hopeful-in-1986-mystery-1418892.php

Cops hopeful in 1986 mystery

A few more interviews may help in search for missing Saratoga girl

By LEIGH HORNBECK Staff writer

Updated 10:08 p.m., Friday, June 10, 2011

Although police consider Slaybaugh a suspect, Hieber said because the evidence gathered so far is circumstantial, she isn't ready to think of anyone as a suspect.

Arthur Mason Slaybaugh II, former correction officer, now deceased.

This is a very sad case. All of these years some of the family members believed that she just ran away. I used to work with Tammie's sister, many years ago. Although I have never met Tammie, I have thought of her often throughout the years. Her case is what brought me to WS and sparked my interest in helping to find missing people. I doubt at this point there will ever be justice served for Tammie, especially if the POI is now deceased. I just hope that someday soon they are able to find her and they can finally have some closure.

I wonder if LE had a chance to go through Slayburgh's personal effects? Maybe there is something there that would indicate he could be tied to Tammie. :(

Here is a photo I hadn't seen before...

Tammie-Anne-McCormick2.jpg

I wonder if LE had a chance to go through Slayburgh's personal effects? Maybe there is something there that would indicate he could be tied to Tammie. :(

I don't know if they did but in one of the articles I read his daughter is commenting on the article and she is certain her father had nothing to do with it.

I wonder why people didnt come forward when he was alive, I read they were frightened, but why? Something they saw? It doesn't seem like he could have a police record if he was working as a corrections officer. I wonder if there are other MP/unsolved cases we should be looking at...?

She lived only about 15 minutes from where Christina White and Jennifer Hammond were found deceased. They were both last seen near Geyser Road. Tammie lived very near Geyser rd.

Years later but there has been some speculation of a serial killer in the area because the 2 girls bodies were found so close to each other...

Jennifer Hammond http://www.websleuths.com/forums/showthread.php?t=90912

Is there any way they could be connected???

I would like to leave open the possiblity that she could have ended up anywhere....

With LE saying that they have flown out of state to interview people I wonder if they think she may have been brought out of state by Slayburgh?

Can someone help me? I am confused...

I have been in touch with someone from NamUs to varify Tammie's info. He was kind enought to verify that dentals were on file but said that any other info would have to come from NCMEC. He said " The MP case is a NCMEC case and they have their given guidelines on how they handle cases for juveniles they will follow. I was glad to help get the process started with the information you provided, but now I need to let NCMEC take the lead in this and handle it accordingly."

I have sent several emails to NCMEC as well as being copied on the emails the contact at NamUs has sent them and I have not gotten a single response from NCMEC.

I am confused, maybe this is standard procedure with a minor but I have not run into this before. Has anyone else experienced this? Why can't NamUs help me with the info that is in their files???

OK. I finally heard back from NCMEC. They said they cannot release any case information so now I need to call the local PD. All I am asking is what type DNA is on file and if it has been entered into CODIS. I don't understand why this case is different from others???

NCMEC typically only releases case information to LE and to family. I have never had NCMEC give me any information regarding any case.

NCMEC typically only releases case information to LE and to family. I have never had NCMEC give me any information regarding any case.

Thank you for responding! I was begining to feel like I was posting to myself! I wish I could get more people interested in her case!

''Catone said he now knows she went to Slaybaugh's apartment near Brown's Beach on Saratoga Lake. The interviews he and the other investigators are doing now center on where Slaybaugh hid the girl's body after he allegedly killed her''

http://www.timesunion.com/local/arti...ry-1418892.php

Seems Tammie did go to see Slaybaugh, maybe for a lift to school. I think the cops are barking up the correct tree, finding Tammie is the problem.

''Catone said he now knows she went to Slaybaugh's apartment near Brown's Beach on Saratoga Lake. The interviews he and the other investigators are doing now center on where Slaybaugh hid the girl's body after he allegedly killed her''

http://www.timesunion.com/local/arti...ry-1418892.php

Seems Tammie did go to see Slaybaugh, maybe for a lift to school. I think the cops are barking up the correct tree, finding Tammie is the problem.

I couldn't get that link to work but I think this is the same article (from 6/10/2011)...

Catone said the investigators still have five or six people left to interview, and then they need to figure out a logical way to search for Tammie's body in an area that could include 1,000 acres near the lake.

"It's not a matter of grabbing a shovel and a backhoe and going out," he said.

A search is not likely until the fall, Catone said.

Read more: http://www.timesunion.com/local/article/Cops-hopeful-in-1986-mystery-1418892.php#ixzz1tWlJ9eaO

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Truthseeker158
Back