1381 users online (308 members and 1073 guests)  

The Killing Season - Websleuths

Websleuths News

NY Nanny Arrested Giving Infant Unknown Liquid

A 48 year old Nanny has been arrested after the mother of a 4 month old watched via live feed as the woman gave the infant an unkown clear liquid in a dropper.

http://www.longislandpress.com/2011/...-endangerment/

My guess would be it was something harmful if they arrested her tail and charged her with child endangerment.

O.K. here's the story. This lady is facing a felony.

Mom said the baby had been restless and that she had taken the baby to the Doctor. Doc said the baby was sleeping too much. No date given when that occured.

Mom has four live feeds from work to home. She sees longtime nanny Annelise Brucato give the baby something quickly. Mom calls and asks what it was and Brucato said she was just wiping the baby also name Anneliese mouth. Just wiping the kids mouth?

Fortunately mom didn't buy it and rushed home. Asked to see the dropper. Said if this woman didn't show her she was calling the police.

Benadryl. Generic though. Not to be given to an infant. Said she was giving it to the infant to calm her down. Calm her down?

http://www.nypost.com/p/news/local/n...o3VPwwvrBpCpYM
    Last edited by Filly; 02-15-2011 at 03:00 AM.

OneLostGrl is offline I'm going against the grain- I'm going sane
    wow. Messed up!

Filly--I think this is so common it would knock our socks off. No, Benadryl should NEVER be given to an infant but everyone knows that it causes sleepiness and how better to quiet down a child who's "bothering" you. I'm so thankful that the mom was on the ball and rushed home to get that baby. Don't you wonder how many babies are given this day in and day out?

The brazenness to do this, knowing full well that there were nanny cams. Hopefully the little one will be fine....and have a new nanny.

I don't understand how people who suspect their caregivers of doing something harmful to their children wait to see it on a camera. If I suspected someone hurting my child, they would be out of there. I get that you need evidence to convict someone harming your child, but to me, its just not worth my child's life.
    My book, More Than Just A Pretty Face, about the unidentified photos of Rodney Alcala, will be published in 2017. Please visit and join my Facebook group to get all of the most recent information.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/621913531276073/

Get out your whips and pitchforks....I have been known in the past to administer Benadryl to a child (my own child, not someone else's) to calm them down and help them sleep.

That said - I never did that when they were infants. In my world, my infants were ALWAYS fussy and I certainly wasn't going to drug them out of it. It's important for the teeny weenies to learn to settle themselves down.

But I was known to occasionally slip a small dose to a sniffly, cranky toddler. My grandmother's generation was all about a little alcohol to help settle a fussy child.

I'm glad this baby is okay!
    I do not intend to tiptoe through life only to arrive safely at death!

Quote Originally Posted by southcitymom View Post
    Get out your whips and pitchforks....I have been known in the past to administer Benadryl to a child (my own child, not someone else's) to calm them down and help them sleep.

That said - I never did that when they were infants. In my world, my infants were ALWAYS fussy and I certainly wasn't going to drug them out of it. It's important for the teeny weenies to learn to settle themselves down.

But I was known to occasionally slip a small dose to a sniffly, cranky toddler. My grandmother's generation was all about a little alcohol to help settle a fussy child.

It's funny to me that there is a medication for anything that ails you. People take over the counter medication for everything but when a child/infant is "fussy" and can not verbalize what is making them fussy and a Mother administers some Tylenol or Benedryl to relieve it's suffering, it is criminal.

Glad the baby is okay too!
    Burn the candles, use the nice sheets, wear the fancy jewelry and lingerie. Don't save it for a special occasion, Every Day Is Special.

In My Humble Opinion and I Reserve
    The Right To Change It As Often As Neccessary.

I had to give benedryl a few times to 2 of my kids when they were very small, and it wired them! like bouncing off the walls, and very restless. I was never graced with the luxury of it making them sleep, but it did help their allergies!

Glad this nanny was caught, she could have poisoned that baby if she did too much everyday.

My greatgram's generation it was Paragoric.

SCM, you evil woman. I have to look for my pitchfork, but I always have my whip handy.

Not negating what this woman did by this post. I'd be afraid to give anything to anyone else child at all.

My own DD had food allergies, and enviromental allergies. The only thing I could give her was that orange Triminic. Not a baby mind you, but a few times when the kid ate corn syrup and kicked the back of my seat in the car for a good hour trip I admit I said "Here you need some Triminic". She did. It never made her sleep, but man that corn syrup tuned her up and that settled her down.

Hoping the baby is alright as well.

Interesting I was telling this to my own mother and she said "Soooo what the lady went to work still even though she suspected this?" Admittedly there's a time I would have thought the same. Now a little older and wiser I know everyone can't just up and leave work or stay home.

Us mom's need to stick together.

Oh, MY gawd, you are evil beyond description!!!

My grandparents dipped a rag in moonshine and let my mom chew on the rag---to help mom deal with the pain when she was teething. Granny said that was NORMAL back then! Nobody questioned it!

On a serious note: My pediatrician actually advised me once to give my fussy child a dose of Benedryl. As long as the dosage is correct, Benedryl is relatively harmless.....I mean, without serious side effects, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Truthwillsetufree View Post
    It's funny to me that there is a medication for anything that ails you. People take over the counter medication for everything but when a child/infant is "fussy" and can not verbalize what is making them fussy and a Mother administers some Tylenol or Benedryl to relieve it's suffering, it is criminal.

Glad the baby is okay too!
    I too am glad baby is okay. I don't think it is criminal when Mom administers Benedryl or Tylenol in proper doses, but when a caregiver does it behind Mom's back and then lies about it......well, then we have a problem!