2011.02.14 - SA's high school mate speaks out

Dee10

Reaction score
Not sure this needed a thread, but I didn't know where to put it.:winkaway:

"He pretty much kept to himself," recalls Arrelano, "dressed all in black, gothic."

Arrelano says she attended high school with Adkins in Snyder. Adkins is the only suspect Colorado City authorities will name in the case. Arrelano still remembers watching Adkins for the first time on television after Hailey's disappearance.

"I was like. I know this guy," she remembers, "and I pulled out my yearbook, and yes I did have a class with him."

They took a drama class together. Arrelano says she understands why many people think Adkins was involved in Hailey's disappearance.

"With all the footage that's on YouTube, and all these videos that I've seen online, it wouldn't surprise me," said Arrelano.
[/size]]
http://bigcountryhomepage.com/fulltext/?nxd_id=342136

This reminded me how looks may be misleading - what you see isn't always what you get. I have to grimace about the "dressed in black" being what one recalled what they knew of SA. When my daughter was a teen, about 25 years ago, she, along with a few friends, favored black clothing. Along with "dead" looking lipstick. To top it off she spiked her hair using so much hairspray her bangs stood straight up, and looked as if they would break if she hit her head on someone or something. I suffered from humiliation and did not want to be seen with her. We both got through that stage, and she did not turn into a criminal. She is the kindest, most compassionate and smartest daughter one could ask for. So, I am very sure that her sixteen-year-old son, who favors a lot of black clothing and hair in his eyes, is going to turn out to be a well-adjusted young man, even though her won't wear blue shirts to match his beautiful blue eyes. I guess I am guilty of judging by appearances, so easy to do if one doesn't know the person behind the clothing. Way back when I was in high school, girls that wore tight sweaters were considered to be "easy" and guys with the ducktail hairstyle always seemed to turn out to be the "delinquents".
A few years ago I warned my oldest granddaughter that she better not get engaged to a good-looking guy...if she did I would hire a detective to investigate him and someone to analyze him. I pointed to Scott Peterson as an example of how looks can be deceiving. When I was a kid I thought all boogey men were ugly and you could spot them a mile away. Truth is, some may be just a smile away.

My daughter wears black nail polish and she is in Law School. :crazy: And I like to wear black myself, so that's not really the point.

I guess this classmate was trying to fit SA into the stereotype of the Columbine Killers, looking backwards to high school. We don't really know if he was even the same person then that he is now (although I suspect he was).

Still, does the fact that this person mentioned the "videos on YouTube" in the MSM mean we can talk about them now? :peace:

They make it sound like they were best buddies.. "I looked in my yearbook and we shared one class" I bet she knew him real well.

Now, don't get me wrong, hes still prime suspect material in my books, but I hate these types of articles. I wore black, my best friend(male) had a 12inch mohawk and about 2 dozen piercings. In our off time we volunteered at the hospital, and then spent 2 years as travelling international volunteers. Yup we were the debil. lol

i can see both sides... just about a week ago a friend of mine from high school(he was my nextdoor neighbor growing up) killed his wife in front of his kids and the first thing i said was "HIM??? he is the LAST person i would ever think would/could do such a thing!!!" and then his booking photo was published and i just about fell off the couch at the sight of him...

and then there is the columbine kids... i lived in sw denver (within a few miles of columbine) when that happened and so the media was super saturated with every little detail and i can understand why people would say that they weren't surprised that klebold and harris were the perpetrators ...

i think the difference is that in one case the retrospect view is of someone in/of the past of 5-10 years and in the other it is a current view of someones suspected predilections...

i can see both sides... just about a week ago a friend of mine from high school(he was my nextdoor neighbor growing up) killed his wife in front of his kids and the first thing i said was "HIM??? he is the LAST person i would ever think would/could do such a thing!!!" and then his booking photo was published and i just about fell of the couch at the sight of him...

and then there is the columbine kids... i lived in sw denver (within a few miles of columbine) when that happened and so the media was super saturated with every little detail and i can understand why people would say that they weren't surprised that klebold and harris were the perpetrators ...

i think the difference is that in one case the retrospect view is of someone in/of the past of 5-10 years and in the other it is a current view of someones suspected predilections...

We see this all the time with friends we knew in grade or high school, and it may be related to an onset of mental disorders. It could be aggrevated by and or hidden by drug use/abuse. Some of the behavior may be passed as adolescence/hormones until something tragic happens. Couple that with irresponsible parenting..and it's a disaster waiting to happen. imo

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/17551351

i can see both sides... just about a week ago a friend of mine from high school(he was my nextdoor neighbor growing up) killed his wife in front of his kids and the first thing i said was "HIM??? he is the LAST person i would ever think would/could do such a thing!!!" and then his booking photo was published and i just about fell off the couch at the sight of him...

I had a similar experience. I went to high school with a guy who killed his pregnant wife (ala Scott P - and in fact his case was re-opened after Scott was convicted - and he was subsequently found guilty of murder). This guy was the star of our football team, well liked, and a pretty upstanding member of the community.

I was completely shocked.

I had Family that work in Milwaukee Ambrosia Chocolate Factory with a Gentleman that was really shy, very nice and polite when he came to a family outing..
Need I say more…:sick:

I had a similar experience. I went to high school with a guy who killed his pregnant wife (ala Scott P - and in fact his case was re-opened after Scott was convicted - and he was subsequently found guilty of murder). This guy was the star of our football team, well liked, and a pretty upstanding member of the community.

I was completely shocked.

I had Family that work in Milwaukee Ambrosia Chocolate Factory with a Gentleman that was really shy, very nice and polite when he came to a family outing..
Need I say more…:sick:

exactly! i knew this guy and his family, ran around in the same circles in my early 20's - he was always a very nice, shy upstanding guy and by all accounts a responsible parent... never any substance abuse issues, had the same job for almost 20 years... sad...

http://www.websleuths.com/forums/showthread.php?t=126941&highlight=chillicothe

http://chillicothe-il.blogspot.com/...-max=2011-02-08T09:10:00-06:00&max-results=20

I think there was a high-school classmate who spoke out in the early days as well. Anyone have think link? Or is this the same person?

The videos have been discussed at length in the Parking Lot. That is where they stay for now please.

I think there was a high-school classmate who spoke out in the early days as well. Anyone have think link? Or is this the same person?

I can't recall any MSM interviews. :waitasec:

Color me less than impressed with this gal's insight, and with the local media coverage in general.

I can't recall any MSM interviews. :waitasec:

Color me less than impressed with this gal's insight, and with the local media coverage in general.

No news here, I agree.

The only thing about this that interests me is something else that came up a month ago - Shawn studied drama. Because everything in this case seems surreal and scripted to me, I keep wondering if Shawn and company addressed a problem at home and then decided to make a drama out of it. It's always in the back of my mind considering the fascination with movies, fans of Nancy Grace and true crime stories, notoriety, donations... Richard Heene and his wife had no problem exploiting their kids and making them lie to the world for fame and a chance for a reality show - they were all over the national media with the balloon boy hoax for a week before it crashed in on them. It was also quite costly to get the air authorities involved and ground teams in place for Falcon's anticipated landing. Crazy, selfish, greedy. I don't think that's the case here because of the lifestyle issues that have been brought to the surface, but I haven't ruled it out completely.

The only thing about this that interests me is something else that came up a month ago - Shawn studied drama.

yllek, you make some good points, but I think one high-school drama class doesn't equate to "studied drama", kwim? JMHO

Just wanted to point that out... :innocent:

That interview was weak, imo. Not at all what I was hoping for. :cool:

yllek, you make some good points, but I think one high-school drama class doesn't equate to "studied drama", kwim? JMHO

Just wanted to point that out... :innocent:

I know what you mean. There was a photo and talk in the parking lot of SA with a drama class. Interesting to me that the drama thing has come up more than once and we know so little else about SA's pre-Billie days. Also, wouldn't surprise me if SA considers himself a student of drama with the masks, obsessive movie watching, home movie making... I'm more looking at it from his mindset and possible alternate motives. Probably nothing though, just a remote possibility...

"He pretty much kept to himself," recalls Arrelano, "dressed all in black, gothic."

Alot of these cases you find the "loner type". Never fit in anywhere. Then, they keep getting stranger and stranger.

They seek attention. Thus, "Ill do something that will be remembered for a long time."

Well, at least, she didn't say he was the nicest person ever and would never hurt a fly. She won't be surprised if this SA did things like on his movies to Hailey is what she's saying. :eek:

yes, exactly. An old running buddy of my younger sister, committed a murder a couple of days ago. 'Little_ _ _ _ _'? no way. I remembered him as that young adorable boy who had a crush on me. But, when I saw his mugshot, I saw the grown man & started remembering other things...like how even to those of us who lived on the poor side of town, his family stood out. & how his father didn't work, how his mom didn't take care of the kids, how when he was hungry, he'd come to our house, & how his brother went to the pen for rape. So, remembered impressions are tricky, & there's always more there, than meets the eye.

Well, at least, she didn't say he was the nicest person ever and would never hurt a fly. She won't be surprised if this SA did things like on his movies to Hailey is what she's saying. :eek:

Dressing in black, gothic, and loner reminds me of vampires. Wonder if he was into Vampires back then. They did find articles and printouts in the collections about vampires. BD is too old to have been into Goth or vampire things back in high school or now IMO.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MaryEllen77
Back