1136 users online (206 members and 930 guests)  

Websleuths News

OR - Boy Scouts & Mormon church hit with more lawsuits for molestation

I'll update this later as I see there's a presser at 1:30 pm. I know Clark and he's a force to contend with. He handled our writ of mandamus with the OR Supreme Court pro bono. He was a bulldog of an attorney but very tender when interviewing the children.

http://www.oregonlive.com/portland/i...nce_again.html

Portland attorneys once again sue on behalf of a victim allegedly abused as a child by a Southeast Portland Boy Scouts leader

"Attorneys for a man who was molested by a Southeast Portland Boy Scout leader in the 1980s filed suit this morning, claiming that the Boy Scouts of America and the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints failed to protect the man from abuse as a boy even though they knew his leader was a notorious pedophile.

The suit is another in a string of lawsuits filed by Portland attorneys Paul Mones and Kelly Clark. Last spring, they garnered a nearly $20 million verdict against the Boy Scouts for one childhood victim of former Scout leader Timur Dykes, before agreeing to a settlement for an undisclosed amount on behalf of that victim and five others. In the past month, the attorneys have filed suits similiar to today’s in Alaska, Kentucky and New Mexico on behalf of other alleged childhood victims.

In a news release this morning, Mones said the goal is to prevent future child abuse, as well as to obtain justice for victims. Representatives for the Boy Scouts and the Mormon church couldn’t immediately be reached for comment...."

and

"....The suit filed today claims that an unnamed man was abused by James F. Hogan, now 72, when the man was a boy from 1981 to 1988. Hogan was a leader in Cub Scout and Boy Scout troops chartered by a Mormon Church Ward in Southeast Portland.

The suit alleges that the Boy Scouts of America and the Mormon Church leadership knew Hogan had molested many children before he abused the plaintiff in today’s suit. According to the suit, the two organization received at least 17 separate complaints or reports over a 14-year period about concerns that Hogan was sexually inappropriate with boys while working with Mormon-sponsored troops in Portland and Redlands, Calif.

"It is simply inconceivable," Clark was quoted as saying in a news release. "We will show that the abuse this boy suffered was entirely preventable. All the Boy Scouts or the Mormon Church had to do was pick up the phone and call the police. They heard over and over again that this man was sexually abusing young boys..."

more at link

http://www.oregonlive.com/portland/i..._portland.html

Alleging child abuse, Portland lawyers file another suit against the Boy Scouts

"Lawyers for a Portland man who claims he was continually abused during a seven-year period filed a $5.2 lawsuit Tuesday against the Boy Scouts, saying the organization had plenty evidence that a troop leader was a serial child molester, but did nothing to keep him from harming others. In the past month, the attorneys have filed suits similar to Tuesday's in Alaska, Kentucky and New Mexico on behalf of other alleged childhood victims. Kelly Clark, with the firm O'Donnell Clark & Crew, said this Portland case was particularly egregious...."

and

"....Clark said the plaintiff -- now in his 30s and a member of the Armed Services -- was a member of Cub Scout Den No. 312, which was a part of the Boy Scout program. He claims the plaintiff was sexually abused on "hundreds of occasions" from 1981 to 1988 by James F. Hogan, who served at various times as a Scout volunteer, assistant Scoutmaster and Scoutmaster.

Hogan's name came up in 2010 when a Portland jury awarded $18.5 million to punish the Boy Scouts for the abuse that a former Southeast Portland Scout suffered in the 1980s. The case was later settled out of court for an undisclosed amount. At the time, jurors considered more than 1,000 confidential Boy Scout files from 1965 to 1985 to judge the Scouts' liability...."

and

"....The file said Hogan had repeated questionable contact with Scouts, but the file contains no record that Boy Scouts reported him to police. They did ban Hogan from Scouting -- but only for a time. In 1981, church leaders asked that Hogan be reinstated because they concluded the earlier accusations against him weren't true.

The Boy Scouts relented and restored Hogan as a volunteer. Nine years later, they put him back on their list of banned volunteers after he abused two boys he met at the church and pleaded guilty to sodomy. In a 2010 story, Hogan told The Oregonian in an e-mail that he didn't have much memory of how the Boy Scouts handled his case.

more at link

As the mother of nine boys, as a human being, as a citizen of Oregon....I'm not happy.

Cub Scouts...not Boy Scouts:

http://www.scouting.org/scoutsource/.../scouting.aspx

"What Is Cub Scouting?

If you are a boy in first grade through fifth grade—or you're 7 to 10 years old—then Cub Scouting is for you
    ...."

The man's abuse started when he was very very young.

Well I am not happy either, Miss Izzy.

What's up with the "secret files"?

http://www.kellyclarkattorney.com/ne...ion-in-oregon/

Secret? A secret this guy was reported 17 times? Booted and then reinstated?

I especially like the "Where are they now's" at the end of this.

My prayers are going to go up for this poor guy and every child that was hurt in this cover up. Preventable. The secret is out and all these institutions better get that straight.

You don't know about the secret files, Filly? You?

Well, now you do:

http://www.websleuths.com/forums/sho...s+secret+files

http://www.websleuths.com/forums/sho...s+secret+files

Appalling stuff.