Personalities of the lawyers

AlwaysShocked

Reaction score
A question was asked on the "Verified lawyers" thread about how much the personalities of the attorneys influences the jury. (No answer as of yet)

BUT, the question sure got me to thinking! We've all seen the whining and continuous excuses of Mr. Baez during the pretirial hearings. The finger pointing and sarcasm aimed at the Prosecutors. Attorney Hornsby has indicated in his Blawg postings there is likely to be far less tolerance for Mr. Baez's antics once the actual trial begins.

Mr. Chebey Mason's speech pattern is often simply not understandable to me. Perhaps it is because I'm from the northeast? But then I see others saying the same thing. Is it only those of us who are not used to southern accents who are having a problem understanding Mr. Mason?

I understand Mason comes to court with a fine and longstanding reputation. And while this may be true, in his out of court behaviors he has shown himself to be quite mean spirited at times. On camera, at times, no less. I think that meanspiritedness will come through during a long trial, as this one surely will be.

As for the Prosecutors, both come off as very organized and highly intelligent. Mr. Ashton stikes me as having a temper in there somewhere, of which I am sure he has learned to keep watch.

Ms. Drane-Burdick comes across as a very calm and intelligent lady.

All of these are my own opinion of course.

I am wondering how others here see these folks.

I see them all the same way you do, so nothing really to add to your excellent post.

Well, I can say that I've lived in the south for all but 4 of my 50+ years and even I cannot understand Mason, lol :waitasec: :banghead:

I'm in the Northeast too but don't seem to have trouble understanding people when I vacation in NC every year...it's definately CM who is the problem. The State definately has a more refined and educated feel. They can put barbs in their motions with an intelligent subtlety whereas the defense just sound like teenage girls. It's like the difference between George Carlin and the three stooges IMO.

I'm in the Northeast too but don't seem to have trouble understanding people when I vacation in NC every year...it's definately CM who is the problem. The State definately has a more refined and educated feel. They can put barbs in their motions with an intelligent subtlety whereas the defense just sound like teenage girls. It's like the difference between George Carlin and the three stooges IMO.

Great analogy!! :floorlaugh: :great:

I see them all the same way you do, so nothing really to add to your excellent post.

Well, I can say that I've lived in the south for all but 4 of my 50+ years and even I cannot understand Mason, lol :waitasec: :banghead:

I've heard cm speak where it's not all mumbly jumbley in press confrences.
I don't know what the issue in the courtroom is. Strange.
imo

I have no problem understanding CM when he is at the podium or speaking into the microphone. When he speaks without a microphone from the defense table it is sometimes hard to understand. Whatever his persona is outside the courtroom, inside he is very good - at least from everything thing I have heard and read about him. As I mentioned on another thread, he has the reputation of being a good, sharp defense attorney in legal circles. I have never heard anyone question his ethics and if there had been something, it would have been dug up by reporters long before now. I find his 'good ole' boy' style annoying, but that is just me.

JB on the other hand - I think he is going to find himself in trouble with the jury if he does not at least attempt to rachet down his arrogance. CM's arrogance stems from 40 years of doing this and doing it well. JB's stems from, um, er, um, well, it stems from him. That is the difference. If you are good at what you do, a little arrogance is understandable and even acceptable.

It will be very interesting to see who does most of the questioning, or whether they split the chore.

I agree that Jeff Ashton needs to rein in his temper a bit. He lets JB get to him way too much, but that may be deliberate on his part. The State is most certainly prepared and well spoken and that is going to make a huge impression, especially if JB does any of his fumbling around, wait a second, I need just a minute during trial.

I have no problem understanding CM when he is at the podium or speaking into the microphone. When he speaks without a microphone from the defense table it is sometimes hard to understand. Whatever his persona is outside the courtroom, inside he is very good - at least from everything thing I have heard and read about him. As I mentioned on another thread, he has the reputation of being a good, sharp defense attorney in legal circles. I have never heard anyone question his ethics and if there had been something, it would have been dug up by reporters long before now. I find his 'good ole' boy' style annoying, but that is just me.

JB on the other hand - I think he is going to find himself in trouble with the jury if he does not at least attempt to rachet down his arrogance. CM's arrogance stems from 40 years of doing this and doing it well. JB's stems from, um, er, um, well, it stems from him. That is the difference. If you are good at what you do, a little arrogance is understandable and even acceptable.

It will be very interesting to see who does most of the questioning, or whether they split the chore.

I agree that Jeff Ashton needs to rein in his temper a bit. He lets JB get to him way too much, but that may be deliberate on his part. The State is most certainly prepared and well spoken and that is going to make a huge impression, especially if JB does any of his fumbling around, wait a second, I need just a minute during trial.

I agree Baez needs to greatly improve his presentation style, but even more so I hope he isn't expecting LDB to keep supplying him with copies of his paperwork because he can't find his - during the trial like she does at the hearings.

Now that it's been pointed out, Mason is relatively easy to understand outside the courtroom...hmmm.

There have been a few times I could understand him in the courtroom, but it's about a 90/10 split to my ears. And I definitely feel he does it on purpose. I know if I were a juror listening to him rambling along, I would be questioning myself about whether or not I'd missed something important - not a good thing!

I do believe we're going to see a different Mason during the actual trial...

Now that it's been pointed out, Mason is relatively easy to understand outside the courtroom...hmmm.

There have been a few times I could understand him in the courtroom, but it's about a 90/10 split to my ears. And I definitely feel he does it on purpose. I know if I were a juror listening to him rambling along, I would be questioning myself about whether or not I'd missed something important - not a good thing!

I do believe we're going to see a different Mason during the actual trial...

Much as with his hearing issues alot of his seeming mumblings to us watching from home may simply be the results of acoustics if the space.

I realize this may seem like a strange question, but do we know if CM has ever had neck or throat surgery? Possibly thyroid? I only ask because the way he speaks and how it gets picked up in the room makes me think he may only be working off 1 vocal cord. I have that problem myself, and while an immediate listener really does not notice any issues with my voice, I do have a lot of trouble projecting in certain spaces and microphones have a helluva time picking me up cleanly.

Great thread!!!

I have lived in Virginia all my life and we definitely have that "southern-hillbilly" talk down to a science! lol Having said that, I can't understand a WORD that CM says! :banghead: I try to read his lips but that's even hard to do.

I do hope JB's arrogance is toned down a notch. Think of how much we can't stand him then picture the jury having to listen to him possibly 8 hours a day for 2 months!

Great thread!!!

I have lived in Virginia all my life and we definitely have that "southern-hillbilly" talk down to a science! lol Having said that, I can't understand a WORD that CM says! :banghead: I try to read his lips but that's even hard to do.

I do hope JB's arrogance is toned down a notch. Think of how much we can't stand him then picture the jury having to listen to him possibly 8 hours a day for 2 months!

Yikes! Sequestered and tortured :eek: - glad I don't live in FL...

Well Mason has such a sense of entitlement, he basically thinks he doesn't have to bother with details. He gets facts wrong, gets dates wrong, contradicts himself, etc - and it seems like it's because he is a big shot and just shouldn't have to bother with the details - he's a "big picture" kind of guy - people should just take his word and let casey go.

Anyone that says, "Trust me"....I do not trust!

With great respect for your opinion Macushla:whiteflag:
I have always been taught that arrogance is never a virtue and never acceptable, it is a form of intimidation and the goal of the arrogant person is to make others feel foolish or self doubting. CM has an offensive sense of superiority and I believe he always has had this. If you are good at what you do then you may be confident in your capabilities, confidence is a virtue it engenders trust, arrogance is a vice and engenders distrust.

To be honest I don't think CM is all that well known outside of his own state and I rather think he is a legend in his own mind. That Bill Sheaffer thinks he is one of the 50 best attorneys in the country is Bill's personal opinion based on years of familiarity and possibly friendship. I think CM's best years are well behind him, if he is to cross examine anyone competently then he is going to have to turn the hearing aid up and speak clearly.
Personally, I do not like CM, I think he is encouraging JB in the worst way possible, he should know better.

..i can generally not understand a word that cheney 'mumbles' in court , however, it's clearly a choice on his part since he HAS proven to be very articulate and vocal --and understandable----when he wants to be.

..as for his hearing aid , and "huh?? what did you say??..i'm old.." --ACT------he's the death penalty attorney in the case------get a new hearing aid to participate properly---or go home.

( seriously, i sure wouldn't want a lawyer who can't hear what's going on half the time to be representing me in a DP case.)

..his memory is another one----- he falls back on his same old/same old-----"umm,that was before my time" ( note to cheney----you are ON the case--have been for a year----get up to speed.)

..he uses the memory excuse to get out of things too-----like having to answer to what was previously said at "the 5 pm hearing".

( judgeP at a later date---- brings up some major points ---on the defense failure to provide expert reports--- that he had brought up AT that december 5 pm hearing--- "but, i'm not sure-- that you were there mr. mason?" )

cheney is all over that ---"i most certainly was NOT".)

..video tells us, that he most certainly-- WAS SO.

http://www.wftv.com/video/26093706/index.html
---raw video 12/10/10 5 pm hearing--

( half asleep ----but he was there. )

..i don't find him trustworthy in the least.

Let's hope JB's opening statement does not begin with, "Frankly, I don't know why we are here?"

With great respect for your opinion Macushla:whiteflag:
I have always been taught that arrogance is never a virtue and never acceptable, it is a form of intimidation and the goal of the arrogant person is to make others feel foolish or self doubting. CM has an offensive sense of superiority and I believe he always has had this. If you are good at what you do then you may be confident in your capabilities, confidence is a virtue it engenders trust, arrogance is a vice and engenders distrust.

To be honest I don't think CM is all that well known outside of his own state and I rather think he is a legend in his own mind. That Bill Sheaffer thinks he is one of the 50 best attorneys in the country is Bill's personal opinion based on years of familiarity and possibly friendship. I think CM's best years are well behind him, if he is to cross examine anyone competently then he is going to have to turn the hearing aid up and speak clearly.
Personally, I do not like CM, I think he is encouraging JB in the worst way possible, he should know better.

No problem with disagreeing with me, many people do on many different subjects. :) I guess I feel about arrogance the way I do because I have met a lot of people with that touch of arrogance about 'what they do' and they do 'what they do' very well. Maybe I should have narrowed my comment to only their career, not themselves in general. But that is what makes WS so much fun, we all have different opinions.

As to CM's reputation, his best years may well be behind him, but that does not negate his reputation. The info I heard about him came from a number of different sources in and around Orange and Osceola counties where he practices. I was surprised at how many people, lawyers, court clerks, paralegals, etc. had only good things to say about him. I don't care for him myself, the good ole boy act grates on my nerves no end. I am beginning to sound like a broken record about CM's rep in the 'hood' :) Don't mean to harp on it, so I shall do so no more. :)

I do agree with you 100% that CM knows better and should be reining in JB, in fact I am surprised that he is not mortified at some of the things JB does. He is going to finish out his career being tarred with the same brush as JB and I don't think his other high profile cases are going to help.

Yep, the biggest hurdle other than their client and the evidence is going to be how Baez and Mason present themselves to the jury. I don't see how they think they have a chance in hell of winning if they present themselves to the jury the same way they act in the hearings. Jurors aren't stupid. The defendant may not be likable, but if the lawyers are equally disliked or more disliked than the defendant, that's not going to bode well for the defendant. Now I've seen some lawyers get creative with that, but I don't think Mason or Baez have the ability to act the way they do and get an acquittal. Either we're going to see a totally different defense team and defendant come trial, or Casey might as well just plead guilty now.

As for the SA...they are going to mop the floor with this defense team. They are organized, articulate, way more experienced and knowledgable (yes, even more than Mason too. His knowledge seems to be intimidation and tactics, not knowledge, organization and articulation. Too bad he didn't learn any of that in 40 years of being a lawyer - that's just sad). It's going to be like kindergartners trying take on law school professors. It's going to be so much of a mismatch, it will be laughable.

I just don't understand why Baez and Mason don't throw in the towel and beg Casey to plea. They think think it's bad now. They will go down into the annals of history as being the most laughable, inept, and ignorant defense team there ever was if they allow this to go to trial.

Re: Cheney Mason - I think things looked very different at the time he made the decision to "join the fun" than they do now. There were all those other high profile attorneys and experts associated with the case at the time. Andrea Lyon, Linda Kenney Baden, Dr. Henry Lee, etc.

Stepping in and becoming a member of this "Dream Team" may have then seemed to be the capstone of a long career. Perhaps it would even lend itself to a memoir when all was said and done. And perhaps it still will, who knows?

I wonder if TrueTV's "In Session" has any coverage of a Cheney trial anywhere in its archives? I'd love to see some of it if they do. (Hint, hint if any TrueTV folks read here!)

I wonder if Mason ever bothered to read any of Baez's motions prior to joining the case. That should have been a tip-off as to what he was getting into!

Great thread!!!

I see all the pocket squares getting together and plotting.
lol
:cow:

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Suesleuth