1075 users online (268 members and 807 guests)  

The Killing Season - Websleuths

Websleuths News

Family annihilators

Why do ordinary people murder their families?

"What could the motive for such a crime possibly be?
    Typically the motive is either revenge or altruism. We like to think that we're safe with our loved ones but the largest number of mass killings in the U.S. occurs in the family. [Second is the workplace, third is at schools] About 30 percent of mass killings are within the family."<snipped>

http://www.newsweek.com/2009/02/18/better-off-dead.html

I have never been able to understand the psychology behind the anihilators. My logical brain gets the whole "criminal minds" tv series explanation but really understand what forms this personality, that one is a mystery to me.

Websleuths now on Facebook

Welcome to all new members. Thank you for joining the conversation. Please take a moment to become familiar with the TOS and rules, etiquette and information.

mni wiconi I Stand With Standing Rock

They say it's mostly men that do this. and that women tend to have a mental illness diagnosis who kill their families.. but I wonder if it's just less men are likely to be diagnosed with MI because of the stigma attached.. or less men are willing to admit to the signs and symptoms of MI...?

Money is another driving force for someone to kill a member of their family. Insurance money, the home, the bank account...JMHO

I think of Chris Coleman. He wanted to start a new life and felt the threat of losing his job if he got a divorce.

I don't know that we will ever know the answer to this question, but if I had to venture a guess I would say it is either a major psychotic illness or a personality disorder. Several of the cases I have read had to do with someone trying to save their family from a percieved "worse outcome". Those could be real, but most likely are due to pathology clouding perception of the actual situation. As for the personality issues, I feel that there are some people (psychopaths) that are just unable to form real and lasting relationships with others. They can play the part and usually know what to say in order to make people feel they love them. In reality, they tend to just use people and then when there is no more need for them they are discarded. Sometimes they are just left behind, but if they know something that could be dangerous to the psycopath they may be seen as a threat and therefore need to be "eliminated".

There is my $.02.
    Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster. And if you gaze long enough into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you.
    Friedrich Nietzsche

^I'm with you. No matter what the motive may be, there has to be some sort of psychological or mental illness for you to annihilate your family.

I've also read of a few cases when the father murders the family because he couldn't feed them.
    There can be no security where there is fear. - Felix Frankfurter
    I collect blueprints about cracking safes to know how to better secure them.

Neil Entwhistle did this didn't he? There are cases when people are living a lie and kill when they are about to be found out...desperation?
    England's dancing days are done...

Quote Originally Posted by LiveLaughLuv View Post
    Money is another driving force for someone to kill a member of their family. Insurance money, the home, the bank account...JMHO
    That's what I am thinking too. We've seen many of them.