13 Ways to Deal With Food Temptation

Dark Knight

Reaction score
Let’s be honest: Improving your eating habits is hard, even when you are doing the shopping and cooking. But what do you do when you are constantly being tempted to eat more by the people around you, or the situation you’re in? Relax. While resisting temptation is never easy, we’ve come up with stay-in-control strategies for 13 of the most common situations in which temptation might call. If there’s a common theme, it’s this: Be prepared! By having a plan (or merely a script for what to say) you can make smart eating choices in every situation that life throws at you.

http://www.rd.com/13-things/13-ways-to-deal-with-food-temptation/

Thank you for the link ..

I am currently trying to fight, to battle my middle aged spread...:banghead:

I stopped smoking a year ago, and since then have put on weight, and the weight has gone to my tummy:banghead:

I have been doing the slim fast shakes for breakfast and lunch, then eating a decent meal at supper time..

snacking on celery carrots, etc..

I have started to change the way I eat and this link is very helpful for me

I am such a carb loader and an emotional eater. Over the last 6 years I am ashamed to admit I have gained forty pounds of er, carbs. I am trying to make better food choices but not winning the battle.

For me, I think it is a matter of when I am eating as well. I am a classic skip breakfaster and sometimes lunch as well. Come dinner I am ravenous. If the evening is busy with feeding everyone else I may skip dinner as well or eat lightly, come 9 when all the kids are in bed, then its binge time.

Not healthy I know.

I need to make an effort to eat something for breakfast. I think the old saying eat like a king for breakfast, a merchant for lunch and a pauper for dinner may have a lot of truth to it.

Why come nothing in the link sounds FUN?? lol...
I have gained lots n lots of weight over the past 5 yrs....
I am also an emotional eater...especially when bored....that more than anything.
Oh and I LOVE mayo :crazy: to leave it off of a burger or even a chicken sandwhich (well heck, ANY kinda sandwhich) is impossible for me. The gooey the better for me...which explains my weight I guess. I love anything saucy as well..the saucier the better also for me.
I hate to say it but with so much going on everyday sometimes I don't have alot of time to cook...so hubby and I pick up a frozen pasta meal for 2...except we each eat one a piece. *cringe*
I really gotta change my habits or else.

I have that problem too......only in reverse...when I'm upset...I can't eat...I gag when I try. I ate peanut butter cups for dinner although I make my hubby usually a 3 course meal..a salad, meat, veggies and I even baked him a cake for Valentines! But I just don't wanna eat...*sigh*

I may be in the wrong thread LOL

I searched and couldn't find a thread for eating disorders...I have never started a thread, but maybe it's time we did....

Can someone help me getting a thread going? DK?

I am such a carb loader and an emotional eater. Over the last 6 years I am ashamed to admit I have gained forty pounds of er, carbs. I am trying to make better food choices but not winning the battle.

For me, I think it is a matter of when I am eating as well. I am a classic skip breakfaster and sometimes lunch as well. Come dinner I am ravenous. If the evening is busy with feeding everyone else I may skip dinner as well or eat lightly, come 9 when all the kids are in bed, then its binge time.

Not healthy I know.

I need to make an effort to eat something for breakfast. I think the old saying eat like a king for breakfast, a merchant for lunch and a pauper for dinner may have a lot of truth to it.

OMGosh it's hard isn't it. It took me 2 years to realize that low carb was the only way I could control my diabetes, and now I'm loving it. For breakie you can eat eggs, bacon, sausage, or 1/2 bagel with salmon and cream cheese. I've become a crazy box reader, and gave up the cereals and most breads -- but feel better about it. I think it's horrible when boxes say low fat, then you look carefully at the ingredients and each serving is 100 carbs and 1000 mg of sodium. Talk about false advertising.

I no longer focus on the fat contents, but on the sugar and carb contents -- as that what puts the pounds on faster (in my case anyway).

Those tips are all great!

MOO

Mel

ps: had to give up the fruit too -- only to be replaced by a vitamin C supplement.

I saw my cousin the other day and she looked GREAT!
Well of course she is a leader at Weight Watchers.
But I can't afford those weekly fees.
Friends here suggested http://www.sparkpeople.com
and I like it so far.
Only 4 days into it, but happy with the site.

Why come nothing in the link sounds FUN?? lol...
I have gained lots n lots of weight over the past 5 yrs....
I am also an emotional eater...especially when bored....that more than anything.
Oh and I LOVE mayo :crazy: to leave it off of a burger or even a chicken sandwhich (well heck, ANY kinda sandwhich) is impossible for me. The gooey the better for me...which explains my weight I guess. I love anything saucy as well..the saucier the better also for me.
I hate to say it but with so much going on everyday sometimes I don't have alot of time to cook...so hubby and I pick up a frozen pasta meal for 2...except we each eat one a piece. *cringe*
I really gotta change my habits or else.

Hi White Rain,

Mayo isn't bad really (one of the toppings I can have)! :great:

1 ounce has about 100 calories (most fat), but no cholesterol, only 2 grams of carbs, and 1 gram of sugar.

Many people call mayo evil, but I sure don't :) You just have to weigh the totality of the calories. If my calories are coming from fat, and not carbs and sugars that's better for me. Even better if the protein count is high. Unfortunately, there's no protein in mayo.

I say YAH for mayo :)

Mel

It's called emotional eating Sooner Fan.

Some who emotionally eat are binge eaters and binge when they are upset or stressed. (my Husband being one).

Some who emotionally eat can't eat when they are upset or stressed. (I used to be one of these, not anorexic that's a whole different disorder).

Is emotional eating a disorder? Or is it just something some people go though? I don't know maybe someone else knows for sure.

JMHO

You could be right, my hubby has cancer, but when I do eat, I eat salmon and healthy things...avacado, asparagus ...etc but still only weigh 92 lbs.

You could be right, my hubby has cancer, but when I do eat, I eat salmon and healthy things...avacado, asparagus ...etc but still only weigh 92 lbs.

Well there you go. All the foods you mentioned have a very low carb/glycemic count. I eat those, but don't weigh 92 pounds (wish I would). I have 32 pounds to lose to meet my minimum weight standard, so I'm by no means an expert.

Maybe more protein? Boiled eggs are so yum :) And I always have whole almonds at hand (dry roasted with sea salt). I just can't tolerate the plain kind.

Hugs,

Mel

Well there you go. All the foods you mentioned have a very low carb/glycemic count. I eat those, but don't weigh 92 pounds (wish I would). I have 32 pounds to lose to meet my minimum weight standard, so I'm by no means an expert.

Maybe more protein? Boiled eggs are so yum :) And I always have whole almonds at hand (dry roasted with sea salt). I just can't tolerate the plain kind.

Hugs,

Mel

I do like boiled eggs and some kinds of pasta.

Yeah, that's what my doctor keeps telling me....MORE protein...I don't eat salad as I feel that is a total waste of calories, but do eat cheese. I'm just frustrated...my daughter weighs 300 lbs.....my hubby weighs a whopping 147 lbs.

Hallo good people, years of debate and high cholesterol battles, like "if the cholesterol doesn't kill me the diet you docs got me on will." Has led me to the following beliefs.

Knowing your body chemistry and food effects on that chemistry is important and may indicate a need for a change of lifestyle.

For example, do you know your blood sugar levels and how they affect you? Do you realize eating sugar or a food that turns into sugar causes your pancreas to produce insulin? Yes carbs do this, some faster than others causing a rapid rise in blood sugar. Brought to a screeching halt by insulin pumped from a normal pancreas.

"Pancreatic production of insulin, somatostatin, gastrin, and glucagon plays an important role in maintaining sugar and salt balance in our bodies, and therefore, any problem in the production or regulation of these hormones will manifest itself with problems with blood sugar and fluid / salt imbalances."

Therefore, when you eat foods that cause a large and rapid glycemic response, you may feel an initial elevation in energy and mood as your blood sugar rises, but this is followed by a cycle of increased fat storage, lethargy, and more hunger!

Read More http://nutritiondata.self.com/topics/glycemic-index#ixzz1ETbCdpFw

I'm a huge believer in High Protein/low or complex carb diets and it's affects on weight, stable blood sugar levels and metabolism. I'm sure there are others who need different types of diet for special dietary issues, I'm speaking in general.

Here's a link of recipes for those that find it useful, containing a major collection of low-carb recipes.

http://www.camacdonald.com/lc/LowCarbohydrateCooking-Recipes.htm

Personally speaking I get alot of my protein from powder form made into shakes or drinks of some type.

So how's your:

Triglycerides
Total Cholesterol
LDL
HDL
Heart Risk factor
Blood sugar levels

:)

I'm bookmarking your link, Peli-- loads of great recipes! I will look there first. Thanks! :heartbeat:

Not healthy I know.

ah,,,,,,I used to skip breakfast, then skip lunch and at dinner, boy oh boy did i eat eh?

then I would wake in the middle of the night, around mid night , or 2am and raid the fridge and binge..

I broke the habit of binging late at night..and now, slim fast shake for breakfast, slim fast shake for lunch, snacking celery and diet bars in between,,,

come dinner time, im starving...soooooooooo hungry...

ive never had to diet before, this is a 1st for me...

i know i have to do something...

im still thinking in future about lypo on my tummy, but thats only a last option...hoping i can avoid it..

eta, i was so bad with my late nite binging that I would take the sofa pillow, sit on floor in front of fridge, sit on pillow, then binge...

omg, im upset with myself for doing that..

dont know what motivated me to do that..

but at least i managed to break that habit..

I gotta start some where eh?

I am so frustrated....I don't know HOW to eat healthy.
Grilled protein, yeah I can do that but what do u season it with? We grill and bake alot but it's always saturated in "marinades" that I am sure are not real healthy.
We LOVE salads but the dressing is none-to-healthy I know. We use "healthy-sounding" balsamic vinegerette (SP) but yeah it's not.

hey white rain, make your own fresh salad dressings. bottled stuff is a big no-no. google up some healthier recipes. stock up on a few ingredients & it's very easy to whip them up at dinnertime... enough for one meal or more to keep handy in the fridge. i don't have time now, but if you want, i'll post recipes next week..... also, make your own marinades or rubs, easy as pie! did somebody say PIE??? i hope it's chocolate, or key lime, or macadamia, or...

here is an article i just ran across that may be of interest to foodies: http://www.wbtv.com/Global/story.asp?S=14077098

I love the comments at the end of the article. here is the mtv version for those who cannot read paragraphs-
1) cheese
2) almonds
3) coffee
4) hot chili peppers
5) mild poblano peppers
6) eggs
7) portabello mushrooms

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors