IL - Holly Cassano, 22, Mahomet, 2 November 2009

The police are releasing new details in an attempted search for her killer.
    She was stabbed over 60-times in her home on Nov. 1, 2009.

---snip---

Based on the FBI profile and their own examination of the evidence, investigators said people should try to recall a white male, possibly a teenager, who may have expressed some sexual interest in Holly Cassano and sustained cuts to his hands or arms around Nov. 2 that would have required medical attention.

They believe the suspect was "acquainted" with the mobile home park where the victim lived, but did not necessarily live there. They suggest the attacker could be a resident of a nearby community, including Fisher, Bondville or Seymour.

Based on profiles of similar attacks in other areas of the country, they said the "probability" is that Cassano was specifically targeted for this assault, that her attacker may have been watching her for some period of time and that his motivation was sexual.

Cassano was sexually assaulted after she was killed, and investigators said the assailant was in such a frenzy that he did not tend to his own wounds, which probably were caused when his hand slid over the hilt of a kitchen-type knife onto the blade, until afterward.

"Our suspect was wounded in the attack," said Ogle, who described blood drips "the size of half dollars," some of which formed "pools of blood."

Authorities also speculate that the attacker left the area afterward, providing a plausible explanation for his sudden absence. Further, because they have yet to find a DNA match on file with law enforcement, Ogle said he suspects it "could very well be a teen because there is no record of DNA."

---snip---

http://www.news-gazette.com/news/cou...ch-killer.html

I hope they can find this suspect, I really hate to think someone has gotten away with murder and this one is so brutal.
    Last edited by Cubby; 02-21-2011 at 03:06 AM. Reason: add detail to thread title

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to UdbCrzy2 For This Useful Post:

Cubby is offline 50K reward, Bob Harrod-Missing: Call Det. Radomski 714-993-8176
    Thank you so much for posting this UdbCrzy2. Since this case is from November of 2009 I am going to move it up to the crimes in the news forum. I think it will get more attention there and fits better there versus here in the Cold Case forum which houses much older cases.

Prayers this information released by LE pushes this case forward. No doubt whomever is responsible for such a heinious crime needs to be off the streets and brought to justice asap.

And prayers for Holly's family and friends. My heart just broke reading about this crime.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Cubby For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Cubby View Post
    Thank you so much for posting this UdbCrzy2. Since this case is from November of 2009 I am going to move it up to the crimes in the news forum. I think it will get more attention there and fits better there versus here in the Cold Case forum which houses much older cases.

Prayers this information released by LE pushes this case forward. No doubt whomever is responsible for such a heinious crime needs to be off the streets and brought to justice asap.

And prayers for Holly's family and friends. My heart just broke reading about this crime.
    BBM - Yes! Really sad!

Something I've wondered about (OT a bit) - I've seen on the many ID shows I look at where DNA is entered into the CODIS system. Is there a similar data base (something Google like) into which the MO's of crimes like Holly's can be entered into? It appears who ever did this horrible crime fled the area since crazy killers like this always (often?) repeat their crimes. But how would LE be able to search for something similar?
    If a system does not exist to enter and search, perhaps Google would do it?

From November 2014:

http://www.news-gazette.com/news/loc...sh-set-eyes.ht

It's been five years since Holly Cassano transformed from single working mother, daughter and sister into crime victim. The attractive 22-year-old Mahomet woman was found dead in her own home, a victim of incomprehensible violence...

Toni Cassano is the one who discovered her daughter about 10:30 a.m. on Nov. 2, 2009, on the floor of her mobile home in the Candlewood Estates Park in Mahomet. The sight of her lifeless child, stabbed repeatedly, was indelibly seared into her mind and became the fodder for counseling over the years...

There's a small update in the case that's been on local news for the past couple of days (this is a local case for me). Brief synopsis: police are reporting that DNA analysis suggests that the perpetrator might be a male of Hispanic descent.

http://www.news-gazette.com/nicole-l...new-spark.html
    A private lab hired by the sheriff's office last fall to do testing on DNA recovered at the crime scene shared results that "statistically suggest" the suspect is likely a male with some Hispanic, Native American or Central or South American heritage, Lt. Curt Apperson said. [paragraph 3]
    http://www.wandtv.com/story/30084111...in-2009-murder

Back in December of 2014 an investigator and a lieutenant with the department spent 45 days working on the case. Finally in September of 2015, there has been a break in the case that Sheriff Dan Walsh said he hopes will lead to an arrest.

Forensics have gotten more sophisticated. The crime department sent DNA to a private lab in Salt Lake City for another analysis.

"We recovered evidence that we are fairly certain is from the suspect," Sheriff Walsh told WAND. "Evidence that we sent to them belonged to someone with at least some Hispanic in their blood line or in their genetics."

Sheriff Walsh also said, recent tips have led to one old suspect and the department brought in three new people. He would not elaborate on who the old suspect is and who the other individuals are.

Although, some are connected "to her family, her place of employment or the area where she lived," Sheriff Walsh said.

Four DNA samples went out recently and two came back negative. Investigators are now waiting on the other two results. [from middle of article]
    The jury's not in on "Ancestry" DNA tests, and expert opinions about the reliability of such tests are mixed, at best. So I worry a little about this maybe starting a bit of a witch hunt. But it sounds like maybe this will spur some new tips, and hopefully that will lead to something.
    Last edited by Mouse; 09-22-2015 at 09:46 AM.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Mouse For This Useful Post:

Also, this article has nothing to do with the Cassano case (athough it is briefly mentioned in the article), but it does show that there have been some other shady doings in the trailer park:

http://www.news-gazette.com/news/loc...-hospital.html

I wonder if maybe the Cassano murderer was in the area for associated criminal and/or meth shenanigans, but was actually from out-of-state (mention of Indiana license plates in the article above), and maybe that's why they haven't had any luck tracking him down yet? (Although my initial thought is that maybe Holly's killer was a transient farm worker in the area to work the harvest season, and he moved on soon after.)

New clues in Cassano murder case on the 6th anniversary of her death
    Detectives remain committed to finding the killer.

"We gained another lead this weekend," said Lt. Curt Apperson, of the Champaign County Sheriff's Department."And we came in yesterday, investigators came in yesterday, on a Sunday, on their day off, to follow up on that lead."

They're continuing to follow up on this new lead, while awaiting results on DNA samples they sent for testing.

They're cautiously optimistic that these developments could help them close the case.

"Information was presented to us six years later. And now we're going to have to go back and find this person. That's what's frustrating like if we had known this then, it may be a different story," said Apperson.
    http://www.wandtv.com/story/30414540...y-of-her-death

Also, a short article on how Holly was remembered today, on the anniversary of her murder: http://www.news-gazette.com/news/loc...-miss-her.html

11. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to KayElJay For This Useful Post: