1217 users online (242 members and 975 guests)  

Websleuths News

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

CA-Teens trapped,one dead, San Bernadino church bus crash

At least two people are dead after a school bus crashed in the San Bernardino Mountains, according to the California Highway Patrol.

The crash occurred just before noon on Highway 189 north of Lake Gregory Road. Officials say the bus may have collided with a Nissan Murano that belonged to the San Bernardino County Fire Department. The bus then slammed into a tree and knocked down a power pole.

More at link:
    http://www.ktla.com/news/landing/ktl...,6523006.story

Live feed:
    http://www.ktla.com/videobeta/?watch...-live-stream-6
    Last edited by SuziQ; 02-21-2011 at 06:28 PM.

It's Presidents day. Schools should have been closed. I wonder if the teens were on a field trip to go sledding or something.

It appears that the bus went down a ravine and the kids are having to be brought up in rescue baskets.

Prayers for the victims. I can't imagine how frantic their parents are.

Lifelight just arrived.

Correction, San Bernadino Sheriffs copter checking out the situation.

Hard to tell. Looks like it might be an Asian (Korean?) church bus.

Front of the bus is pretty well mangled.

ETA: Front of bus wrapped around a big tree trunk.

http://twitter.com/KNXDavid

BREAKING: Bus involved in deadly crash in San Bernardino Mountains says "Light of Love Church". That'S a Korean church in Pasadena. KNX1070

Bless everyone on the bus. I bet they were going on a holiday day trip and this happened. So sad

MOO

Mel

I haven't seen any recent rescue efforts in awhile. Has anyone else? Hopefully they were pretty much removed by the time the copter got there.

Sounds like 16 taken so far to hospitals.

The California Highway Patrol reports that there are at least two fatalities and other serious injuries after a school bus filled with teenagers collided with another vehicle and went down a snow-covered embankment near Crestline.
    The CHP's website said the coroner's office has been called to the scene in the San Bernardino Mountains as crews tried to rescue trapped teens inside the bus.

More at link:
    http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/lano...s-trapped.html

Thank you for posting this. How tragic.
    My teenager and a group of friends is supposed to be coming down this same mountain highway this afternoon. I called and told them about the accident, because I am assuming the highway is pretty backed up. But O don't want them driving the road too late in the day because that is when the ice builds up when it get s cold again. UUggghh

I lived in Crestline until three years ago. The road they are on has ravines on the sides, but at least they didn't roll off the mountain. There are a couple of church camps right off the 189 that they were probably going to/coming from. From what I've been following on the local message boards, the roads were not too bad, even though they just had a snowstorm. There was melt off from yesterday, which freezes back at night. The accident happened at noon, but there are a lot of spots on that road that would still be in the shade. I can't tell for sure, but from the direction it looks like the bus ended up, they must have been going towards the 18, which means they were headed home. The 189 is fairly narrow in that area, and only one lane in each direction. There has been a lot of debate in the mountains regarding the church camps wanting to expand. Increased bus traffic on dangerous mountain roads is one of the main reasons the locals were against the expansion. Prayers for everyone involved.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast