CA-Teens trapped,one dead, San Bernadino church bus crash

SuziQ

Former Member
Reaction score
At least two people are dead after a school bus crashed in the San Bernardino Mountains, according to the California Highway Patrol.

The crash occurred just before noon on Highway 189 north of Lake Gregory Road. Officials say the bus may have collided with a Nissan Murano that belonged to the San Bernardino County Fire Department. The bus then slammed into a tree and knocked down a power pole.

More at link:
http://www.ktla.com/news/landing/ktla-bus-crash-san-bernardino,0,6523006.story

Live feed:
http://www.ktla.com/videobeta/?watchLive=ktla-live-stream-6

It's Presidents day. Schools should have been closed. I wonder if the teens were on a field trip to go sledding or something.

It appears that the bus went down a ravine and the kids are having to be brought up in rescue baskets.

Prayers for the victims. I can't imagine how frantic their parents are.

Correction, San Bernadino Sheriffs copter checking out the situation.

Hard to tell. Looks like it might be an Asian (Korean?) church bus.

Front of the bus is pretty well mangled.

ETA: Front of bus wrapped around a big tree trunk.

http://twitter.com/KNXDavid

BREAKING: Bus involved in deadly crash in San Bernardino Mountains says "Light of Love Church". That'S a Korean church in Pasadena. KNX1070

Bless everyone on the bus. I bet they were going on a holiday day trip and this happened. So sad :(

MOO

Mel

I haven't seen any recent rescue efforts in awhile. Has anyone else? Hopefully they were pretty much removed by the time the copter got there.

Sounds like 16 taken so far to hospitals.

The California Highway Patrol reports that there are at least two fatalities and other serious injuries after a school bus filled with teenagers collided with another vehicle and went down a snow-covered embankment near Crestline.
The CHP's website said the coroner's office has been called to the scene in the San Bernardino Mountains as crews tried to rescue trapped teens inside the bus.

More at link:
http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/lan...y-hurt-in-school-bus-crash-teens-trapped.html

Thank you for posting this. How tragic.
My teenager and a group of friends is supposed to be coming down this same mountain highway this afternoon. I called and told them about the accident, because I am assuming the highway is pretty backed up. But O don't want them driving the road too late in the day because that is when the ice builds up when it get s cold again. UUggghh

I lived in Crestline until three years ago. The road they are on has ravines on the sides, but at least they didn't roll off the mountain. There are a couple of church camps right off the 189 that they were probably going to/coming from. From what I've been following on the local message boards, the roads were not too bad, even though they just had a snowstorm. There was melt off from yesterday, which freezes back at night. The accident happened at noon, but there are a lot of spots on that road that would still be in the shade. I can't tell for sure, but from the direction it looks like the bus ended up, they must have been going towards the 18, which means they were headed home. The 189 is fairly narrow in that area, and only one lane in each direction. There has been a lot of debate in the mountains regarding the church camps wanting to expand. Increased bus traffic on dangerous mountain roads is one of the main reasons the locals were against the expansion. Prayers for everyone involved.

Thank you for posting this. How tragic.
My teenager and a group of friends is supposed to be coming down this same mountain highway this afternoon. I called and told them about the accident, because I am assuming the highway is pretty backed up. But O don't want them driving the road too late in the day because that is when the ice builds up when it get s cold again. UUggghh

Prayers for a safe journey home for them

I am on pins and needles, how tragic. I don't know what else to say ;(

I lived in Crestline until three years ago. The road they are on has ravines on the sides, but at least they didn't roll off the mountain. There are a couple of church camps right off the 189 that they were probably going to/coming from. From what I've been following on the local message boards, the roads were not too bad, even though they just had a snowstorm. There was melt off from yesterday, which freezes back at night. The accident happened at noon, but there are a lot of spots on that road that would still be in the shade. I can't tell for sure, but from the direction it looks like the bus ended up, they must have been going towards the 18, which means they were headed home. The 189 is fairly narrow in that area, and only one lane in each direction. There has been a lot of debate in the mountains regarding the church camps wanting to expand. Increased bus traffic on dangerous mountain roads is one of the main reasons the locals were against the expansion. Prayers for everyone involved.

Yes, the ice is what is making me nervous. I wanted them to drive home around 2 when the roads would be slushier. Late afternoon ice worries me a lot because these kids don't have a lot of driving experience. The boy is driving a Tahoe which has snow tires at least. And he has done a lot of driving in the snow, but of course he is only 18 so I am nervous.

I had to cut the live feed because it was so choppy I couldn't see much.

Any new news?

Katy, I hope your son is ok.

Where are they coming from? The 189 isn't usually that bad of a road through that section. Initial reports where that they hit another vehicle, which sent the bus over. It is a narrow road, and it was a big bus. If they were crowding, or over, the line going around a curve, they could have hit the other vehicle which sent them out of control. Might not have had anything to do with the ice. Once your son and his friends hit the 18, they should be fine. It's usually only icy in the early morning. The 189 goes through a lot of heavily wooded areas, so the sun doesn't hit it as much. If he's coming from one of the ski resorts, he'll probably be in such heavy traffic coming down that he'll never get up enough speed to worry about.

Prayers for a safe journey home for them

I am on pins and needles, how tragic. I don't know what else to say ;(

I am on pins and needles too. LOL They might stay in the cabin another night. Only one of the kids has classes tomorrow and so we are thinking they should leave in the day time tomorrow instead of this afternoon. The highway is very clogged up right now so they would just be sitting there anyway. I don't want them to drive that road at night either. Oh well. At least they were not on that bus. Those families must be having a really hard time right now. My heart goes out to them.

Our kids were supposed to be on that road right around the same time as the bus accident. But of course, they overslept. Thank goodness for that.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TexasCuriousMynd
Back