Christchurch New Zealand 6.3 Earthquake 2.21.2011 Multiple Deaths

Nancy2441

Reaction score
A 6.3-magnitude earthquake ripped through Christchurch, New Zealand, on Tuesday afternoon, causing multiple fatalities as it toppled buildings onto buses, buckled streets and damaged cathedrals, authorities said.
New Zealand Police announced on the agency's website that a large-scale evacuation of the central city was under way. According to the news release, the earthquake killed an undetermined number of people at various locations around the city, including passengers on two buses crushed by buildings that had fallen on them.

http://www.cnn.com/2011/WORLD/asiapcf/02/21/new.zealand.earthquake/index.html?hpt=C1

It's very shallow(according to my USGS). Only 4 kilometers depth. About 2.48 miles.

It's very shallow(according to my USGS). Only 4 kilometers depth. About 2.48 miles.

It's crazy how much of a difference that makes. The quake in September was a much higher magnitude and didn't do this much damage did it?

My Mum's away on a holiday in Christchurch at the moment and I am just praying she is alright. I've been trying to ring her all afternoon, but I think the phone lines around Christchurch are still down.

Seeking Justice, Hugs to you. I hope you hear from your mom soon. Below is a google link set up for missing persons, etc. Also somewhere I saw something that said to text people in the area, do not call.

Person Finder: Christchurch Earthquake, February 2011

http://christchurch-2011.person-finder.appspot.com/

Thank you SuziQ. I had registered my Mum with DFAT and was just looking at this website when my phone rang..... and it was MUM. The relief is enormous. Thank God she is unharmed and was very lucky to be in a car driving when the earthquake struck. The car shook from side to side but apart from that she didn't feel much else. She said the road was cracked wide open in a lot of places. She has now only got power and she had no idea how bad it was.

I just pray for all the injured and trapped and their loved ones.

Fervent prayers for all of the victims of the quake and those left behind, in Jesus' Name, amen!

Rescuers have recovered and identified 55 bodies and are yet to identify a further 20 bodies from yesterday's earthquake in Christchurch.
Superintendent Dave Cliff said there were 55 bodies in a temporary morgue and 20 more were being taken there.
Christchurch Mayor Bob Parker said 300 people were also listed as missing.
"With those 300 missing people could just be someone called up saying so and so is missing - they may have just left town."

More at link:
http://www.nzherald.co.nz/nz/news/article.cfm?c_id=1&objectid=10708192

It's crazy how much of a difference that makes. The quake in September was a much higher magnitude and didn't do this much damage did it?

As you probably know, it also makes a difference the frequency at which the earthquake vibrates and the consistency of some soils.

After the Northridge quake in L.A. (1993, I think), entire neighborhoods near us were decimated. We lost a single electric candle that fell off the mantlepiece. The difference was the vibration frequency and the type of soil on which our house sat.

Thank you SuziQ. I had registered my Mum with DFAT and was just looking at this website when my phone rang..... and it was MUM. The relief is enormous. Thank God she is unharmed and was very lucky to be in a car driving when the earthquake struck. The car shook from side to side but apart from that she didn't feel much else. She said the road was cracked wide open in a lot of places. She has now only got power and she had no idea how bad it was.

I just pray for all the injured and trapped and their loved ones.

I know I am behind in this, but THANK YOU GOD :praying:

and still :praying: to find more survivors

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vjeanine