1336 users online (235 members and 1101 guests)  

Websleuths News

Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 ... LastLast

NJ - Galloway Twp, WhtFem 668UFNJ, 12-18, watch w/ wide leather band, Dec'71

GALLOWAY TOWNSHIP, NJ UNIDENTIFIED
    Case Type: Unidentified
    DOB: Sex: Female
    Found: Dec 6, 1971 Race: White
    Age Now: Height: 5'3" (160 cm)
    Missing City: GALLOWAY Weight: 115 lbs (52 kg)
    Missing State : NJ Hair Color: Lt. Brown
    Missing Country: United States Eye Color: Unknown
    Case Number: NCMU1122754
    Circumstances: On December 6, 1971, an unidentified female was found in Galloway Township, New Jersey. The decedent was estimated to be between 14 and 18 years of age. She was between 5’-02” and 5’05” tall, and likely weighed between 105 and 130 pounds. She had straight, shoulder-length light brown hair and was wearing a ribbed blue cotton shirt, white/blue/orange striped trousers, and brown leather sandals. She was also wearing a bracelet watch (shown). Her teeth were described as “almost perfect” with no restorations. She had only one carious lesion starting in her lower right molar. The above image is a facial reconstruction completed by a forensic artist at the National Center for Missing & Exploited Children, to show what the decedent may have looked like in life. Items such as hair style are the artist’s estimation to complete the image and should not be used as significant markers for identification.

http://www.missingkids.com/missingki...archLang=en_US
    Last edited by CarlK90245; 03-29-2014 at 11:44 PM.

Investigators are using modern forensics to solve 1971 Galloway Township murder mystery

Posted: Thursday, July 30, 2009 3:10 am | Updated: 3:16 pm, Thu Jul 30, 2009.
    By EMILY PREVITI, Staff Writer

GALLOWAY TOWNSHIP - After nearly 38 years, retired police investigator Edward Hepburn is still haunted by the sight of teenage girl's decomposed body and the lingering questions about who she was and how she died.

"I (contacted) every single newspaper I could find," Hepburn said Wednesday. "We got hundreds of tips and eliminated a lot of them, but never came up with a suspect or identified her. ... I never would have thought there were that many young girls missing in the country in 1971, not in my wildest dreams."

Hepburn handled the investigation into remains found Dec. 6, 1971, by a trio of hunters in a wooded area off the Garden State Parkway and Jimmie Leeds Road in Galloway Township. Hepburn was a detective lieutenant when he left the Galloway Police Department for the Atlantic County Prosecutor's Office seven years later.
    More at:
    http://www.pressofatlanticcity.com/n...9982226f9.html

The Doe Network:
    Case File 668UFNJ

Unidentified White Female

The victim was discovered on December 6, 1971 in Galloway Township, Atlantic County, New Jersey
    Estimated Date of Death: Months prior

Vital Statistics

Estimated age: 14-18 years old
    Approximate Height and Weight: 5'2-5'5"; 105-130 lbs.
    Distinguishing Characteristics: Straight, shoulder-length light brown hair. Possible wig - shades of blonde, brown and red brown with presence of a coloring additive. Extra sacral vertebrae (lower back).
    Dentals: Available. No restorations; good occlusion. Her teeth were described as “almost perfect”. She had only one carious lesion starting in her lower right molar.
    Clothing: Ribbed blue cotton or synthetic shirt; white, blue, and orange striped canvas or cotton trouser of the hip-hugger variety; underwear; white bra. Brown leather sandals. Brown, wide leather band with small brass rings containing a ladies Westclock watch.
    DNA: Pending

Case History
    The victim was located in woods off of Jim Leeds Road, near milepost #42 of the Garden State Parkway in Galloway Township, New Jersey.

Investigators
    If you have any information about this case please contact:
    New Jersey State Police
    Donna Fontana
    609-584-5051 x 5656
    You may remain anonymous when submitting information.

Agency Case Number:
    71-A-388

http://www.doenetwork.org/cases/668ufnj.html

first thing that comes to my mind is a victim of the late Robert Zarinsky, but I would think that the missing girls would have been at the top of the list for possible matches.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Robert_Zarinsky
    Last edited by KateB; 04-26-2015 at 04:38 PM. Reason: repair url tag.

Very Blonde Girl In Orange Chair With Ashtray - Websleuths Crime Sleuthing Community

TIMELINE - Where was Alcala and when? - Websleuths Crime Sleuthing Community

Quote from link:
    1968 Graduated UCLA, Bachelor of Fine Arts

1968 (September 25) "Tali S." age 8, Hollywood (Rape, Battery; Convicted, March 1972. California)

1968-71 Fugitive - *known to be in New Hampshire (see media links)

1968-1971 enrolled at NYU, film studies with director Roman Polanski (New York)

1970-71 summer camp counselor (New Hampshire) alias John Burger (or Berger)

1971 (June 12) Cornelia Crilley, age 23 (Murder; Suspected. New York)

1971 FBI Ten Most Wanted List

1971-1974 (arrested August 12, 1971 in Concord, NH under the assumed
    name of John Berger, convicted in California March 1972) incarcerated ("Tali S.")
    endquote
    Attached Images Attached Images

They do not look as much alike in the above pics as they do when I blow them up side by side on my screen. For some reason the reconstruction appears to have an angry look in this smaller pic but does not appear that way at the NCMEC site.

Also, the UID was wearing sandals and the girl in the Alcala pic has on boots and more winter appropriate clothing.

I see the resemblance but the Alcala blonde looks older than 18 to me and the UID had brown hair, albeit light brown. Alcala's blonde looks naturally blonde and it would not go brown that quickly.

Quote Originally Posted by webrocket View Post
    first thing that comes to my mind is a victim of the late Robert Zarinsky, but I would think that the missing girls would have been at the top of the list for possible matches.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Robert_Zarinsky
    actually looking into Zarinsky's victims all are accounted for (bodies found) except Rosemary Calandriello who had dark hair. not to say he did not kill someone else who was not on the list.

Because of the difference in hair color I do not think the Alcala blond is the UID but I do want to note that the Alcala girl may have a similar type band as the UID's watch.

There appears to be a 'band' of some sort around the handle of her suitcase when I zoom in on the suitcase handle, found here: http://cnnnancygrace.files.wordpress...0/03/00801.jpg

The 1st pic is the UID's watch.
    The 2nd pic is the suitcase handle in the Alcala pic.
    Note that the far side of the handle has a circular area as if something is around the handle.
    Based on how high this object sits as compared to the handle it might be the same width as the bracelet/watch found with the UID.
    Last edited by dsntslp; 02-24-2011 at 07:45 PM.

Not trying to make the Alcala girl fit this UID, I just wanted to leave notes here

I realize the age is far off but height, weight, and hair all seem to be close and because of the date of the case its plausible that the age estimate of the UID could be off.

Ann Bernice Duncan

Missing since October 3, 1969 from San Francisco, San Francisco County, California
    Classification: Missing

Vital Statistics

Date Of Birth: April 11, 1938
    Age at Time of Disappearance: 31 years old
    Height and Weight at Time of Disappearance: 5'2"; 105-115 lbs.
    Distinguishing Characteristics: White female. Brown hair Marilyn Monroe style and length. Medium long with styled curl. Hair was fine in texture. Sometimes colored it blonde. One time had a red wig, so it could have been in the reddish tones too; hazel, large eyes.
    Medical: Is double jointed; Can place the back of her hands on her hips, fingers pointing backwards, and bring her elbows together in front of her.
    Clothing: Would dress casually but fashionably stylish. Often wore a scarf because of the wind.
    AKA: Ann Bernice Burns
    Dentals: Available (Charting)
    Fingerprints: Not available
    DNA: Available

Circumstances of Disappearance

Oct 3, 1969 for an appointment with Social Services in San Francisco, regarding placement of her then 6 week old infant son in foster care. She never showed up for her next appointment. The courts later declared the baby was abandoned by all parents, and deemed available for adoption. Routine weekly visits to her other children in foster care abruptly stopped in this same approximate time frame.

Family feels she would not have abandoned her children whom she dearly loved, and although was not able at the time to care for them herself, visited weekly without fail while all were in foster care. Occasional phone calls routinely made to her mother also stopped in this time frame. From 3 different statements Ann made to 3 different people, family feels she was fearful of her well being and suspect she may have been murdered.

Investigators
    If you have any information concerning this case, please contact:

San Francisco Police Department
    Inspector Joseph Carroll
    415-558-5508

Agency Case Number: 090372734

Source Information:
    CA DOJ

http://www.doenetwork.org/cases/2843dfca.html

This is a tough one to match. I suspect there a so many more missing girls in this time frame that have never been either reported or recorded.

How could the ME not know if her hair was a wig at the autopsy?

What do you all think about Cynthia Coon as a possible match for the UID?

The dates, age, and description seem to fit pretty well. I was struck by the description of the teeth as being perfectly straight in both cases.

The limited details in Cynthias case hint at a kidnapping for possible ransom. My thought is that perhaps the "wig" or hair coloring found in the UID might have been an attempt at disguising her? Just a random guess as to how the two cases might fit together.

Cynthia Coon
    Ann Arbor, Washtenaw County, Michigan

Missing since January 19, 1970
    Classification: Missing

Vital Statistics

Date of Birth: March 24, 1956
    Age at time of disappearance: 13-years-old
    Approximate Height: 5'4
    Approximate Weight: 110 lbs
    Hair: Brown
    Eyes: Brown

Distinguishing Characteristics: Caucasian female.

Dentals: Had never been to a dentist. Had straight teeth and with no fillings

Circumstances
    Cynthia Coon left her residence en route to school in Ann Arbor. She did not attend school at all that day and did not return home that evening. She made contact with her family twice, once on April 1, 1970 and again on April 2, 1970. She did not know her whereabouts at the time of the calls. An extortion-type call was received by the family on May 5, 1970. Since that time, no further contact has been made with the family.

http://www.michigandoes.com/MP/CynthiaCoon.html

http://www.charleyproject.org/cases/c/coon_cynthia.html

Cynthias thread here on WS: http://websleuths.com/forums/showthread.php?t=18386

Does anyone know if Cynthia has ever been submitted for this UID?

I'm new to WS and haven't submitted a potential match before but I'd be willing to do so if a few of you think it is worth a shot in this case?

I went ahead and submitted Cynthia Coon as a possible match for the UID this weekend to case manager Donna Fontana and received a reply this morning that she will look into the potential match.

Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 ... LastLast