WhyaDuck?

Inactive
Reaction score
GALLOWAY TOWNSHIP, NJ UNIDENTIFIED
Case Type: Unidentified
DOB: Sex: Female
Found: Dec 6, 1971 Race: White
Age Now: Height: 5'3" (160 cm)
Missing City: GALLOWAY Weight: 115 lbs (52 kg)
Missing State : NJ Hair Color: Lt. Brown
Missing Country: United States Eye Color: Unknown
Case Number: NCMU1122754
Circumstances: On December 6, 1971, an unidentified female was found in Galloway Township, New Jersey. The decedent was estimated to be between 14 and 18 years of age. She was between 5’-02” and 5’05” tall, and likely weighed between 105 and 130 pounds. She had straight, shoulder-length light brown hair and was wearing a ribbed blue cotton shirt, white/blue/orange striped trousers, and brown leather sandals. She was also wearing a bracelet watch (shown). Her teeth were described as “almost perfect” with no restorations. She had only one carious lesion starting in her lower right molar. The above image is a facial reconstruction completed by a forensic artist at the National Center for Missing & Exploited Children, to show what the decedent may have looked like in life. Items such as hair style are the artist’s estimation to complete the image and should not be used as significant markers for identification.

http://www.missingkids.com/missingk...NCMU&seqNum=1&caseLang=en_US&searchLang=en_US

Investigators are using modern forensics to solve 1971 Galloway Township murder mystery

Posted: Thursday, July 30, 2009 3:10 am | Updated: 3:16 pm, Thu Jul 30, 2009.
By EMILY PREVITI, Staff Writer

GALLOWAY TOWNSHIP - After nearly 38 years, retired police investigator Edward Hepburn is still haunted by the sight of teenage girl's decomposed body and the lingering questions about who she was and how she died.

"I (contacted) every single newspaper I could find," Hepburn said Wednesday. "We got hundreds of tips and eliminated a lot of them, but never came up with a suspect or identified her. ... I never would have thought there were that many young girls missing in the country in 1971, not in my wildest dreams."

Hepburn handled the investigation into remains found Dec. 6, 1971, by a trio of hunters in a wooded area off the Garden State Parkway and Jimmie Leeds Road in Galloway Township. Hepburn was a detective lieutenant when he left the Galloway Police Department for the Atlantic County Prosecutor's Office seven years later.

More at:
http://www.pressofatlanticcity.com/news/breaking/article_1f3c2168-c12e-5479-bb5d-2b99982226f9.html

The Doe Network:
Case File 668UFNJ

Unidentified White Female

The victim was discovered on December 6, 1971 in Galloway Township, Atlantic County, New Jersey
Estimated Date of Death: Months prior

Vital Statistics

Estimated age: 14-18 years old
Approximate Height and Weight: 5'2-5'5"; 105-130 lbs.
Distinguishing Characteristics: Straight, shoulder-length light brown hair. Possible wig - shades of blonde, brown and red brown with presence of a coloring additive. Extra sacral vertebrae (lower back).
Dentals: Available. No restorations; good occlusion. Her teeth were described as “almost perfect”. She had only one carious lesion starting in her lower right molar.
Clothing: Ribbed blue cotton or synthetic shirt; white, blue, and orange striped canvas or cotton trouser of the hip-hugger variety; underwear; white bra. Brown leather sandals. Brown, wide leather band with small brass rings containing a ladies Westclock watch.
DNA: Pending

Case History
The victim was located in woods off of Jim Leeds Road, near milepost #42 of the Garden State Parkway in Galloway Township, New Jersey.

Investigators
If you have any information about this case please contact:
New Jersey State Police
Donna Fontana
609-584-5051 x 5656
You may remain anonymous when submitting information.

Agency Case Number:
71-A-388

http://www.doenetwork.org/cases/668ufnj.html

Very Blonde Girl In Orange Chair With Ashtray - Websleuths Crime Sleuthing Community

TIMELINE - Where was Alcala and when? - Websleuths Crime Sleuthing Community

Quote from link:
1968 Graduated UCLA, Bachelor of Fine Arts

1968 (September 25) "Tali S." age 8, Hollywood (Rape, Battery; Convicted, March 1972. California)

1968-71 Fugitive - *known to be in New Hampshire (see media links)

1968-1971 enrolled at NYU, film studies with director Roman Polanski (New York)

1970-71 summer camp counselor (New Hampshire) alias John Burger (or Berger)

1971 (June 12) Cornelia Crilley, age 23 (Murder; Suspected. New York)

1971 FBI Ten Most Wanted List

1971-1974 (arrested August 12, 1971 in Concord, NH under the assumed
name of John Berger, convicted in California March 1972) incarcerated ("Tali S.")
endquote

Attachments

• Alcala blond orange chair resize 2.jpg
    Alcala blond orange chair resize 2.jpg
    6.3 KB · Views: 108
  • NCMU1122754c1 UID 1971.jpg
    NCMU1122754c1 UID 1971.jpg
    25.5 KB · Views: 87
They do not look as much alike in the above pics as they do when I blow them up side by side on my screen. For some reason the reconstruction appears to have an angry look in this smaller pic but does not appear that way at the NCMEC site.

Also, the UID was wearing sandals and the girl in the Alcala pic has on boots and more winter appropriate clothing.

first thing that comes to my mind is a victim of the late Robert Zarinsky, but I would think that the missing girls would have been at the top of the list for possible matches.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Robert_Zarinsky

actually looking into Zarinsky's victims all are accounted for (bodies found) except Rosemary Calandriello who had dark hair. not to say he did not kill someone else who was not on the list.

Because of the difference in hair color I do not think the Alcala blond is the UID but I do want to note that the Alcala girl may have a similar type band as the UID's watch.

There appears to be a 'band' of some sort around the handle of her suitcase when I zoom in on the suitcase handle, found here: http://cnnnancygrace.files.wordpress.com/2010/03/00801.jpg

The 1st pic is the UID's watch.
The 2nd pic is the suitcase handle in the Alcala pic.
Note that the far side of the handle has a circular area as if something is around the handle.
Based on how high this object sits as compared to the handle it might be the same width as the bracelet/watch found with the UID.

Attachments

• 71-A-388 Watch and watchband NamUs 5221.jpg
    71-A-388 Watch and watchband NamUs 5221.jpg
    25 KB · Views: 104
  • 00801 Alcala blond orange chair suitcase handle cropped.jpg
    00801 Alcala blond orange chair suitcase handle cropped.jpg
    10.6 KB · Views: 151
Not trying to make the Alcala girl fit this UID, I just wanted to leave notes here :)

I realize the age is far off but height, weight, and hair all seem to be close and because of the date of the case its plausible that the age estimate of the UID could be off.

Ann Bernice Duncan

Missing since October 3, 1969 from San Francisco, San Francisco County, California
Classification: Missing

Vital Statistics

Date Of Birth: April 11, 1938
Age at Time of Disappearance: 31 years old
Height and Weight at Time of Disappearance: 5'2"; 105-115 lbs.
Distinguishing Characteristics: White female. Brown hair Marilyn Monroe style and length. Medium long with styled curl. Hair was fine in texture. Sometimes colored it blonde. One time had a red wig, so it could have been in the reddish tones too; hazel, large eyes.
Medical: Is double jointed; Can place the back of her hands on her hips, fingers pointing backwards, and bring her elbows together in front of her.
Clothing: Would dress casually but fashionably stylish. Often wore a scarf because of the wind.
AKA: Ann Bernice Burns
Dentals: Available (Charting)
Fingerprints: Not available
DNA: Available

Circumstances of Disappearance

Oct 3, 1969 for an appointment with Social Services in San Francisco, regarding placement of her then 6 week old infant son in foster care. She never showed up for her next appointment. The courts later declared the baby was abandoned by all parents, and deemed available for adoption. Routine weekly visits to her other children in foster care abruptly stopped in this same approximate time frame.

Family feels she would not have abandoned her children whom she dearly loved, and although was not able at the time to care for them herself, visited weekly without fail while all were in foster care. Occasional phone calls routinely made to her mother also stopped in this time frame. From 3 different statements Ann made to 3 different people, family feels she was fearful of her well being and suspect she may have been murdered.

Investigators
If you have any information concerning this case, please contact:

San Francisco Police Department
Inspector Joseph Carroll
415-558-5508

Agency Case Number: 090372734

Source Information:
CA DOJ

http://www.doenetwork.org/cases/2843dfca.html

What do you all think about Cynthia Coon as a possible match for the UID?

The dates, age, and description seem to fit pretty well. I was struck by the description of the teeth as being perfectly straight in both cases.

The limited details in Cynthias case hint at a kidnapping for possible ransom. My thought is that perhaps the "wig" or hair coloring found in the UID might have been an attempt at disguising her? Just a random guess as to how the two cases might fit together.

Cynthia Coon
Ann Arbor, Washtenaw County, Michigan

Missing since January 19, 1970
Classification: Missing

Vital Statistics

Date of Birth: March 24, 1956
Age at time of disappearance: 13-years-old
Approximate Height: 5'4
Approximate Weight: 110 lbs
Hair: Brown
Eyes: Brown

Distinguishing Characteristics: Caucasian female.

Dentals: Had never been to a dentist. Had straight teeth and with no fillings

Circumstances
Cynthia Coon left her residence en route to school in Ann Arbor. She did not attend school at all that day and did not return home that evening. She made contact with her family twice, once on April 1, 1970 and again on April 2, 1970. She did not know her whereabouts at the time of the calls. An extortion-type call was received by the family on May 5, 1970. Since that time, no further contact has been made with the family.

http://www.michigandoes.com/MP/CynthiaCoon.html

http://www.charleyproject.org/cases/c/coon_cynthia.html

Cynthias thread here on WS: http://websleuths.com/forums/showthread.php?t=18386

Does anyone know if Cynthia has ever been submitted for this UID?

I'm new to WS and haven't submitted a potential match before but I'd be willing to do so if a few of you think it is worth a shot in this case?

The only rule out listed on NamUs is Denise Sheehy from New York. The description of her hair is a bit confusing to me --
POSSIBLE WIG - shades of blonde, brown and red brown with presence of a coloring additive
I am assuming that if she was wearing a wig, it was the type made of human hair and not a synthetic? Also, with the color variations, is it possible that her hair was streaked when she was alive? There are two sketches on NamUs, not shown here --

Recently, it came to my attention that some Orthodox Jewish women wear wigs to conform with the requirement of Jewish Law to cover their hair. When I read about this (with regard to Anna Lowe, one of the Axeman of New Orleans' victims), I thought of this UID and wondered if she was in fact wearing a wig, if this could be the case with her.
Sheitel - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

it is poorly worded about the wig. how is something a possible wig? even if the wig used human hair something has to form its base so I am not sure what they are getting at.

I don't think she was an Orthodox Jew. one, they do the shaved hair, wig, babuschka routine only after they are married. this UID is estimted to have been between the ages of 14-18 so that seems a little young to me. second the wigs they wear are not flashy or multi-colored which would be anything but modest which is the virtue trying to be conveyed. third, the clothes just don't seem right. most Orthodox women I have seen look rather frumpy but even those who dress nicer usually wear skirts and they wear at least 3/4 sleeves (and the cloth cannot be a mix, it has to be made of just one material). finally, there would be a huge outcry if an Orthodox person went missing. I realize this was 40 years ago but as a group they are fairly insular so there would have been alot of publicity.

This could be Niki Diane Britten. She was missing from Oregon and traveled to NYC in 1969. The thread is below. I will paste the contents of that post below the link.

This was already submitted to the Doe Network 2 months ago. Hopefully we will find out soon if it is a match or not.

OR OR - Niki Diane Britten, 15, Albany, 16 July 1969 - Websleuths Crime Sleuthing Community

---------------------------------
Two months ago I read the article in the Charley Project

Nicki Diane Britten missing since July 16,1969 from Albany Oregon- NamUs MP # 7828

https://www.findthemissing.org/en/cases/7828/1/

can possibly be

NamUs UP # 5221 - found December 6, 1971 Galloway Township New Jersey
Case number 71-A-388

https://identifyus.org/en/cases/5221

This is based on an article in the Charley project

http://www.charleyproject.org/cases/b/britten_niki.html

Niki Britten ran away from home on July 16, 1969. But an update to the article on September 4 indicates Niki called her grandparents and contacted friends in September 1969 saying she was in "New York, was working and doing ok"

This was also indicated in an article in the Albany Democrat Herald on April 12, 2012

http://democratherald.com/news/local...a4bcf887a.html

This information is not included in in the mssing person report.

She was never heard from again.

Skeletal remains of a female were found on December 6, 1971 in Galloway Township NJ, around 100 miles from New York City. The postmortem interval was listed as months

The height, weight and age between Niki Britten and the unidentified body are similar.

The face structure is similiar although she is wearing glasses in one of her pictures.

This is just a hunch, both cases are over 40 years old. By matching dentals and DNA between the missing girls relatives and the unidentfied body can this confirm if this is a match or not.

This was already submitted to the Doe Network 2 months ago. Hopefully we will find out soon if it is a match or not.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
julandken
Back