FBI will dedicate up to six agents to help investigate the Kyron Horman disappearance

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ms Suzanne

Reaction score
Can I put this here to discuss?

http://www.oregonlive.com/portland/index.ssf/2011/02/fbi_will_dedicate_up_to_six_ag.html

FBI will dedicate up to six agents to help investigate the Kyron Horman disappearance

more at link

The FBI will be dedicating up to six agents to help with the criminal investigation into the disappearance of Kyron Horman, following a recent review of the local task force's nearly nine-month investigation by FBI agents who specialize in child abduction cases.

Multnomah County Sheriff Dan Staton, who is scheduled to update county commissioners this morning, said the multi-agency task force will proceed at least through June without any requests for more money.

As a result of the BAU agents' visit, the FBI is dedicating a group of agents from its Portland office to work on running down certain leads or conducting interviews with people who have not been reached.

I wonder who they have not reached.

"One thing I can assure you, if this case stagnates and there's nothing more coming in, we'll have to take a different approach."

I wonder what Sheriff Staton meant by taking a different approach.

Does FBI often dedicate six agents to cases that are thought to be strictly domestic?

Beth Anne Steele, FBI spokeswoman, said the BAU agents assisting bring an expertise specific to violent crimes and kidnapping.

"They sit down with investigators and go through the case files page by page, and try to help brainstorm ideas," she said. "They may say, 'you want to try this,' or 'have you looked at this?' "

They've examined the investigative documents and other evidence accumulated so far -- everything from GPS marks picked up from cell phones to taped interviews of persons of interest to what media outlets have caught on camera.

"They have a way of being able to tell us what it is they're observing," Staton said.

Does this sound like dotting the i's and crossing the t's or "back to the drawing board"?

While the inquiry has continued to focus on Terri Horman and several of her close friends or associates, the task force must be careful to run down other potential leads, such as contacting and interviewing all sexual offenders living around the Skyline School or Kyron's home.

"Anything that we neglect to look into are potentials in a prosecution as something that you can poke a hole through,'' Staton said. "So we can't be remiss in looking at all the leads."

What is Staton saying here? Is he saying that they're going to want to prosecute Terri and are now trying to close all the holes that her atty might squeeze her through or is he just generically discussing the need for an investigation to be thorough in order to nail the defendant, any defendant, and the reporter made her own interpretation based on past focus on Terri?

What is Staton saying here? Is he saying that they're going to want to prosecute Terri and are now trying to close all the holes that her atty might squeeze her through or is he just generically discussing the need for an investigation to be thorough in order to nail the defendant, any defendant, and the reporter made her own interpretation based on past focus on Terri?

sbm...

i was thinking that if prosecutors attempt to try terri, it would be using a circumstantial case with no "smoking gun" so to speak. in which case the prosecutors would have to prove beyond a reasonable doubt that the reason terri should be found guilty is because there is NO other possibility. thus they are going to try to tie up the "any other possibilities" angle.

I can't see bringing the FBI in to help them close up the holes in order to prosecute Terri. I think they may need help. They already knew they had to look at sex offenders, etc. they have been saying that for months. Maybe the FBI can give them some ideas on body location trends/profiles? I don't know, but it sounds like either things are moving much more slowly gathering evidence-wise, or that they are just doing things we've thought they would have completed by now. V. confusing, as is everything w/this case.

Poor Desiree-I think this is why she has taken on her recent actions. She knew nothing was moving forward this week and maybe not for months.

I can't see bringing the FBI in to help them close up the holes in order to prosecute Terri. I think they may need help. They already knew they had to look at sex offenders, etc. they have been saying that for months. Maybe the FBI can give them some ideas on body location trends/profiles? I don't know, but it sounds like either things are moving much more slowly gathering evidence-wise, or that they are just doing things we've thought they would have completed by now. V. confusing, as is everything w/this case.

Poor Desiree-I think this is why she has taken on her recent actions. She knew nothing was moving forward this week and maybe not for months.

<snipped from article>...

By mid-June, if there's been no arrest, Staton said he will review the task force's progress once again. "One thing I can assure you, if this case stagnates and there's nothing more coming in, we'll have to take a different approach."

----------------------------------------------------------------

come mid june tactics will change.

fbi et al. are working on this case presently. That is why i'm thinking fbi is working with staton, now, to close up any holes in a potential circumstantial case that a defense attorney may find. and the only potential circumstantial case i think stanton and gang could be working on is terri.

Maybe they have determined they may not be able to find Kyron after all and will have to go on without him? If they finished searching those last areas and do not have any more places to look? They don't really mention finding Kyron here, except to say they wish they had...

Stanton, "We know more about what potentially did happen than we ever did in the past. The biggest hope is we would have found him." And "One thing I can assure you, if this case stagnates and there's nothing more coming in, we'll have to take adifferent approach."

I think they are hoping to have Kyron, and are working on the i's & t's to go ahead with a circumstantial case if need be.

<snipped from article>...

By mid-June, if there's been no arrest, Staton said he will review the task force's progress once again. "One thing I can assure you, if this case stagnates and there's nothing more coming in, we'll have to take a different approach."

----------------------------------------------------------------

come mid june tactics will change.

fbi et al. are working on this case presently. That is why i'm thinking fbi is working with staton, now, to close up any holes in a potential circumstantial case that a defense attorney may find. and the only potential circumstantial case i think stanton and gang could be working on is terri.

I feel they will have a very hard time convicting terri.A few people said they did not see little Kyron with Terri.Apparantly no one saw little Kyron leave with Terri from the school.Apparantly someone possibly saw a man(possible chaperone)with little Kyron in the school and outside of the school(where outside of the school was kyron seen talking to a man?)3 people?Was terri there?Who was the man?Sheriff Stanton feels 2 people were involved?I have not ruled Terri out.This case can go many ways.If a pediaphile or some associated with the school did not abduct little Kyron.Then I feel some one possibly very close to little Kyron was possibly there too.I pray these FBI agents can find out the truth of what happened to little Kyron.

Snipped from the article:

Investigators have identified more than 490 people who were at the school June 4, as well as the 54 vehicles parked on the campus that day, Staton said. To do that, they had to examine photographs taken at the school during the science fair, sometimes checking the license plates of cars appearing in the background.

"The actual account of everyone and everything that was on that campus that day, we now know," he said.

Okay, this tells me that it has to be at least one of these 490 people. The article also go on to say that there were some that haven't been reached yet. If they have been able to verify the alibis of the ones that they have reached, then it is one of the ones that they have not been able to reach.

Why would you not want to cooperate? These particular people have had almost 9 months to come forward. Why would you wait for LE to track you down? Hmmmmm.

I still don't understand the 54 cars for all of these people...
OR how LE could not have been able to reach anyone by now :(

I still don't understand the 54 cars for all of these people...
OR how LE could not have been able to reach anyone by now :(

I think it's clear that not everyone's parents were there. I'm sure some children rode the schoolbus that day - perhaps the majority of children.

So there are many more people than cars. That's actually a good thing because it narrows down who could have left with Kyron, when you subtract the cars of the staff and the known parents, including TH.

Not being able to reach people is much more troubling. Of course some of them might have moved away over that summer, as people with children often wait till the school year is over before they change residence.

I'm going to have to take Staton at his word, from the OL article Ms Suzanne referenced above:

"..."We may not have it solved, and it may not be to the satisfaction of some, but the fact is they're making progress.""

MCSO does not have it solved, he said. To solve a crime means...to find out who (all) were involved. It does not mean to gather all the evidence to pursue an airtight legal prosecution.

So, if the crime isn't solved, this is good to bring in those FBI agents who specialize in solving exactly this kind of crime. FBI has no prosecutorial jurisdiction; they are investigators--not prosecutors. This crime is as yet unsolved.

As Kaine told us, we have to be patient.

Yes, but I think someone did the math from the list and it still came out to almost 4 adults per car?

It would end up being more than that because I am sure that some of those cars were the faculty at Skyline.

Since they have all the 490+ people accounted for, I would hope that they would have accounted for all that remained after the Science Fair. That would definitely narrow down this list even more.

Maybe this BAU, will be able to narrow it down even further based on their methods.

Regardless of what they are actually doing I think if I was in TH's place I would be freaking out a bit.

Hopefully they will be able to find some evidence to prosecute whoever did this. (Which IMO is TH)

I think some of Staton's words are just politics and semantics. Some things they can't say without some sort of explanation to back it up and they aren't willing to explain their whole case to the public just yet. In my opinion, the shifting gears will happen if they decide to prosecute her for something other than murder. It's murder they are trying to prove right now. If they can't, they will go for the lesser charge. JMO of course!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
pinkfloyd44!