Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Miscarriage a crime!?

Angry Miscarriage a crime!?

Here is a link http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/0..._n_827340.html

Give me a bleeping break!! 3/4 of women would be in jail. This is the most asinine thing I have ever read. Utah has passed a similar bill already. This country has gone totally loony tunes. http://www.amplifyyourvoice.org/u/AF...minal-Homicide

I am just beyond words. Oh and to the genius lawmakers who came up this stuff.

2. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to rpipergirl For This Useful Post:

from the link: "Such term does not include a naturally occurring expulsion of a fetus known medically as a 'spontaneous abortion' and popularly as a 'miscarriage' so long as there is no human involvement whatsoever in the causation of such event."
    Disclaimer: while I have graduated law school and hold a JD, I am not yet licensed to practice. Therefore, if I say anything which could possibly be considered legal advice, or if I explain anything related to legal matters, rules of evidence, legal procedures, or anything related to law, please be aware that I do not yet hold a bar card and we have no attorney/client relationship. Please always, always talk to a personal attorney, and follow their directions. Please also follow the TOS in regards to all unverified posters. Thank you!

4. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to ziggy For This Useful Post:

I prefer that all legislators male of female keep their laws off my uterus. My daughters uterus' too. (what's the plural for uterus'? uteri?) heh. JK on the plural, not on the legislating a what a woman can and can't do with her own body. JMHO

6. The Following 15 Users Say Thank You to Kat For This Useful Post:

Hmmm, the death penalty seems a little contrary, doesn't it? Absurd.

8. The Following 14 Users Say Thank You to Quiche For This Useful Post:

sounds like extremists types of certain religions that come up with these laws.
    don't we have a seperation between church and state?
    what if a woman was impregnated by a rape?
    this is ridiculous.

10. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to chemcopout For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Kat View Post
    I prefer that all legislators male of female keep their laws off my uterus. My daughters uterus' too. (what's the plural for uterus'? uteri?) heh. JK on the plural, not on the legislating a what a woman can and can't do with her own body. JMHO
    I couldn't agree more. In another article a Dr. from the Mayo Clinic said we can't defend our patients because we don't know what causes most miscarriages.

12. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to rpipergirl For This Useful Post:

Oh for crying out loud!

I think I just got whiplash from being slammed back into the dark ages!

Are there not enough REAL issues to worry about right now?

Fools.
    ~~~Cynical Optimist~~~

14. The Following 14 Users Say Thank You to Fairy1 For This Useful Post:

I'm having a hard time understanding here. So when a woman miscarries, she will have to now prove that it was a natural miscarriage? As if suffering a miscarriage isn't heartbreaking enough, sheesh.

16. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to January. For This Useful Post:

This is so upsetting not only because it's so absurd but also because I know so many women who have miscarried.

18. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to rpipergirl For This Useful Post:

This is what happens when you give idiots the keys to the kingdom.

20. The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to porkchop For This Useful Post:

Is there a psychiatrist handy?

22. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Trident For This Useful Post:

Being a woman who went through a 20+ week miscarriage and several after that (early), I find this absolutely repulsive. Especially since autopsy of 20+ week fetus showed no signs of why she died. How could any woman defend herself where Nature intervened? My heart still aches after 31 years. I have absolutely no words that I could place here, without getting banned, to define the anger I feel regarding this.
    "I went to the bank and asked to borrow a cup of money. They said, "What for?". I said, "I'm going to buy some sugar".

24. The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to OrdinaryLife For This Useful Post:

Are there any statistics as to how common it is for women to induce their own miscarriages nowadays? With abortion legal, I wouldn't think there would be many.

26. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Nova For This Useful Post:

I typically do not weigh in on this thread. However, I don't know whether to cry or shake my head in disbelief. I found this form letter which I hope does not offend:

http://www.feministe.us/blog/archive...n-as-evidence/

Dear Rep. Franklin,

I applaud your efforts to support the rights of zygote citizens of Georgia by criminalizing miscarriages and investigating every instance of fetal death as a potential crime. The bill you are trying to pass is clear that the Georgia State Assembly knows that life begins at the moment of conception, and that any fertilized egg that dies is a human death that we should all grieve. I couldn't agree more, and I would like to help.

As I'm sure you know, more than 50% of fertilized eggs --Georgia citizens! -- naturally don't implant, and are flushed out of the body during menstruation. I am personally concerned that my own murdering woman-body may have flushed out some human beings, and I may have flushed them down the toilet without knowing that I was disposing of Georgia citizens in such an undignified way. This must be remedied. I would like to be sure that I am not killing any more Georgia citizens -- and that if I am, they are able to receive a proper funeral and not a burial at sea, and that our state police can dedicate valuable time and resources to investigating their deaths.

To that end, I attach a picture of my latest used tampon. I am preserving this tampon, as well as all of my other tampons, pads, feminine hygiene products and soiled panties from my current menstrual cycle, so that the Georgia State Police can come collect them as evidence. I would also be happy to drop the specimens off at your office, should you want to examine them yourself.

Please let me know if I can make an appointment to give you these items. Or, since I appreciate that you are a very busy man, please let me know when the police will be by my home to collect them, as my next cycle is rapidly approaching and they are starting to smell. I cannot keep them in my refrigerator for much longer.

Thanks for all the work you do to further the pro-life cause.

Sincerely,
    [name]

I wonder if they are maybe trying to target cases where the expectant mother does drugs and/or alcohol during her pregnancy? If so it sounds like it is poorly worded.

29. The Following User Says Thank You to mysteriew For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by mysteriew View Post
    I wonder if they are maybe trying to target cases where the expectant mother does drugs and/or alcohol during her pregnancy? If so it sounds like it is poorly worded.
    Probably. But our decades-long "War on Drugs" shows what happens when we try to use the criminal justice system to treat health issues.

31. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Nova For This Useful Post:

Rep. Franklin is pathetic. He also wants to get rid of public schools, drivers' licenses, and lower the minimum driving age to 12. He also says that rape victims should be called "rape accusers" instead. He has openly compared gays to drug dealers. "The Bible says it's a capital offense," Franklin said of homosexuality. "You want someone with unrepentant criminal behavior?"

Who are the people who electing this idiot? It saddens me that so many share the same views as him.

33. The Following 13 Users Say Thank You to eileenhawkeye For This Useful Post:

There are a lot of people in this country who will go to great extremes to keep women in their place.

35. The Following 17 Users Say Thank You to Cypros For This Useful Post:

http://http://fertilitylabinsider.co...s-in-the-news/

There is a bill in Oklahoma right now that is like this, a "personhood" bill. As someone who is currently undergoing fertility treatments in OK this concerns me so much. I wrote the state senators opposing this bill and actually received a reply back. I was so disappointed in this reply.

"I agree with you but if I vote against it I will be labelled as anti pro-life. I know that is not true but the Republicans control the definition of who we are. I realise that is a sad state of politics but that is reality"

I won't include the name of the state senator but I am disgusted by this.

37. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to domesticmess For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Missizzy View Post
    I typically do not weigh in on this thread. However, I don't know whether to cry or shake my head in disbelief. I found this form letter which I hope does not offend:

http://www.feministe.us/blog/archive...n-as-evidence/
    respectfully snipped

Missizzy, that letter is awesome.

"I look to a day when people will not be judged by the color of their skin, but by the content of their character."
    -Martin Luther King, Jr.

39. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Velouria For This Useful Post:

OneLostGrl is offline I'm going against the grain- I'm going sane
    Quote Originally Posted by porkchop View Post
    This is what happens when you give idiots the keys to the kingdom.
    Amen!!

Quote Originally Posted by domesticmess View Post

There is a bill in Oklahoma right now that is like this, a "personhood" bill. As someone who is currently undergoing fertility treatments in OK this concerns me so much. I wrote the state senators opposing this bill and actually received a reply back. I was so disappointed in this reply.

"I agree with you but if I vote against it I will be labelled as anti pro-life. I know that is not true but the Republicans control the definition of who we are. I realise that is a sad state of politics but that is reality"

I am astonished you received such candor from any elected official.

42. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Nova For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Nova View Post
    I am astonished you received such candor from any elected official.

As am I. However, my response back to said senator would be: Balls. Look into it.

44. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to reportertype For This Useful Post:

Did anyone watch Dr. Phil today? A 15 year old miscarried at 22 weeks - fetus died at birth (never took a breath). The Pros wanted to charge her with MURDER! Only because she chose to hide it from her parents and have a private burial. In the end, she was charged with desecration of human remains -- but the autopsy confirmed the baby was stillborn. I was horrified. I understand that a 15 year old is a child, but this girl did everything to respect her unborn child (which is more than I can say for the GD hospitals). Took pictures of her little one, buried it with her favourite teddy bear, etc. I wish I had that opportunity when my child miscarried on the emergency room table (and ended up in a bucket somewhere because it wasn't viable).

This is far too personal a subject for me. I am just scared for women everywhere!

MOO

Mel

46. The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to Melanie For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by domesticmess View Post

Not to get too political here, but I predicted things would come to this to some of my friends years ago; I grew up in an extreme fundementalist religous background and knew that once they began mixing into politics it was only a matter of time before our freedoms would attempt to be infringed upon. Sadly, certain political parties in this country sold out to them in an effort to channel their energy for short term gain. I could say more but better not..
    'Never stop fighting..never give up'

Kevin Kostner as Eliott Ness in 'The Untouchables'

48. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Snick1946 For This Useful Post:

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast