Page 12 of 13 FirstFirst ... 2345678910111213 LastLast

Thread: MI- Venus Rose Stewart, 32, Colon, Abducted 28 April 2010- #11 -DS guilty of murder

Quote Originally Posted by Kimberlyd125 View Post
    Was there a body found there recently?

http://www.wdtv.com/index.php/home/l...-tucker-county

I am not sure who the January person is. I know about some in June, and then April 2010. A few in Virginia... but I can't find one in January.

Kimberlyd125 is offline Softball is for everyone. Fast pitch is for athletes.
    Oh I wouldn't put it past DS to have dumped Venus there. After he couldn't place her were he originally planned, he may have decided to get the heck out of the area!

Praying for the family of this deceased person, no matter who it may be.

But gosh, I pray daily that Venus is found.
    Glove Findin'
    Uniform Washin'
    Gatorade Gettin'
    Picture Takin'
    Always Cheerin'

Softball Mom

Remember it was not Ricky who was TAPED at the Wal-Mart in Ohio buying a shovel, a hat, gloves, and a tarp. Doug was! That receipt was found in his vehicle. The tarp wrapping was found in Venus' parents' yard.
    The tire tread found in the field across from Venus' parents' home matched Doug's truck tires.
    Oh and then there were the pay as you go cell phones that DOUG bought.

I'm sure there was more but I'm going from memory. Ricky was nowhere near Michigan when Venus was abducted.
    He was taped at an ATM, in Doug's apartment building, and he went in to pay a bill for Doug. All part of the plan. His testimony matched all the physical evidence.

Doug was convicted of murder. Not only because of Ricky's testimony. Because of the facts of the case. People are not convicted from witness testimony alone. They had plenty on Doug.

There is no way Doug's parents believe Ricky killed Venus.

They know what there son did.
    I haven't seen the Wal-Mart video so I can't say if it was him or not. I do know that typically those sorts of video are not clear enough to identify anyone conclusively, so until I see it I'll have doubts about it.

The shovel, hat, gloves and tarp were not found. Surely he would have kept some of those things if he was careless enough to leave the reciept and tarp packaging lying around, particularly the hat and gloves...where are they?

The tarp packaging was presented to LE by the father. If it was found by LE I would be more inclined to consider it, but the providence is tainted because of who provided it. There is no way of knowing if that was the tarp packaging from the video. If it was from unrelated material previously handled by DS that would be one explanation for the fingerprint. The cover was not definitively linked to Ohio.

The video of "Spenser" in Virginia was obscured. They relied on Spenser to say it was him.

The eye witness testimony of Spencer at the Law office was from someone who had seen neither man before and was collected some time after the event. Eye witnesses are notoriously unreliable under those circumstances.

The purpchase of the cell phones suffers from the same issue. It was based on the recollection of a salesperson many weeks after the event. And in any case Spenser was known to have visited DS. Who is to say that he didn't take the cell phones?

Remember, there was the mysterious man who took the midnight swim in the lake near the scene the day before who bears an uncanny resemblance to Spenser. What are the odds of that?

The tire tracks were not matched to DS's vehicle, they were just judged to be the same make. No physical evidence connecting the vehicle to the scene was uncovered. The truck was found some blocks away from where DS lived. What would be the point of that? Surely it would be more logical to leave the vehicle where it was normaly found, unless whoever had it didnt have access to that parking area (which I presume is keyed).

Depending on the clarity of the video involved (which would clear up who was where), the alternative scenario is that Spencer is a nut who took it upon himself to solve DS's problem when he visited DS. In that situation what could DS do? If he says nothing he gets charged with murder, and if he says what Spenser did, then he still gets charged with murder since no one would believe that he wasn't in on it.

Most of the evidence against DS was testimony from Spencer. If Spencer was the one who did it then of course he would know the details, and of course the details would match the other evidence. How did they find Spencer? Did they do a search on his home? How did they get him to talk?, because we know he didn't come to them. That was something not explored, and it seems to me that it is very relevant to the case.

Remember, DS did not present a defence at trial, nor publically before or after, so we have no way of knowing what his story is. He took the effort to try to get custody of the kids. What was the deal with that? Then there is the frankly bizarre behaviour of VS's father. If the evidence against DS was so conclusive (and remember that the results of the investigation have to be made available to the defence) what would be the point of going to trial pleading not guilty, and then not mounting a defence? Surely it would make more sense in that case to take a deal in exchange for the location of the body, claim emotional irrationality and get a lesser sentence that let him out of prison eventually, instead of a life sentence. It doesn't make sense. And why was there basically no defence? They didn't seem to challenge any of the states evidence, even though much of it was very weak. They didn't seem to do anything. The only thing that makes sense is that they were blindsided and felt that the only option open to them was to appeal on procedural grounds to get a new trial, and they didnt want to present their case until that happened.

The whole investigation and subsequent trial seemed odd to me. Right from the start they immediately focussed on DS even though he was living halfway across the country. The whole point of the investigation appeared to be to convict DS, not investigate the case. I could accept that they might eventually get there, but not that they would head there immediately and not look at anything else. Then there was the trial itself. The overall weak nature of the evidence, the bizarre allegations (which IMO situations like that require a higher level of proof) of conduct, the allegations that evidence was not presented to the defence, or not in a timely manner and then the complete failure to defend in trial.

The whole thing just did not seem particularly solid to me, and very strange, so I am left wondering.

I have seen the video. It was him. They also had video of his truck entering the parking lot.

The gloves (or at least 1 glove) was found in his vehicle along with the receipt from the Wal-Mart.

The tarp wrapper was shown to LE by her father because it was in his yard. And yes, it was linked by the code on the wrapper to the receipt from the Wal-Mart.

The videos were definitely NOT Doug in Virginia because he could not have been on those videos and at the Wal-Mart at the same time.

Early in a case, there are a lot of tips that don't pan out. Someone reported seeing the man at the lake because they thought it may be connected. It was not.

The truck was found several blocks from DS's apartment because he didn't want it found. Pretty simple concept.

No defense? Ummm I'm guessing they couldn't argue video tapes and receipts!
    Just my opinion.

What are you calling bizarre behavior from Venus' dad?

They focused on him due to previous threats.

He was CONVICTED. He is GUILTY.
    He KILLER his children's mother.
    Glove Findin'
    Uniform Washin'
    Gatorade Gettin'
    Picture Takin'
    Always Cheerin'

Softball Mom

5. The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to Kimberlyd125 For This Useful Post:

Emotional jurors say the evidence was clear that Doug Stewart was guilty of murdering Venus Stewart

http://www.mlive.com/news/kalamazoo/...mobRedir=false
    Glove Findin'
    Uniform Washin'
    Gatorade Gettin'
    Picture Takin'
    Always Cheerin'

Softball Mom

7. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Kimberlyd125 For This Useful Post:

BTW:
    The defense actually showed the video of the Wal-Mart shopping trip, admitting it was him, to try to explain away why DS's fingerprint was on the tarp wrapper.

So they admitted he was in Ohio buying those items.

http://www.mlive.com/news/kalamazoo/index.ssf/2011/03/prosecutor_says_puzzle_fits_in.html?mobRedir=false
    Glove Findin'
    Uniform Washin'
    Gatorade Gettin'
    Picture Takin'
    Always Cheerin'

Softball Mom

9. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Kimberlyd125 For This Useful Post:

Oh, and BTW:

The Trac phone was purchased with DOUG'S credit card. Kinda goes against the theory that Ricky purchased it.

And Ricky was found by LE through tracking the phone. Several calls between RS and DS.

And there were the scratches on DS's arm.

Among many other things.

http://www.woodtv.com/dpp/news/local...-March-10-2011
    Glove Findin'
    Uniform Washin'
    Gatorade Gettin'
    Picture Takin'
    Always Cheerin'

Softball Mom

11. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Kimberlyd125 For This Useful Post:

Where is Venus????

Glove Findin'
    Uniform Washin'
    Gatorade Gettin'
    Picture Takin'
    Always Cheerin'

Softball Mom

13. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Kimberlyd125 For This Useful Post:

http://insession.blogs.cnn.com/2012/...-in-3-minutes/

Get caught up on the case in 3 minutes.
    Glove Findin'
    Uniform Washin'
    Gatorade Gettin'
    Picture Takin'
    Always Cheerin'

Softball Mom

http://www.sturgisjournal.com/news/x...al-story-of-11

Murder trial, conviction is top local story of '11

Sturgis, Mich. ó Here are the top five local stories of 2011, as voted by Journal staff:

No. 1 After 11 days of testimony, jurors deliberated only three hours March 11 before finding
    Douglas Stewart guilty in the 2010 death of his estranged wife, Venus. Stewart was
    convicted of first-degree premeditated murder and conspiracy to commit first-degree premeditated murder. He is serving life in prison without parole.
    Glove Findin'
    Uniform Washin'
    Gatorade Gettin'
    Picture Takin'
    Always Cheerin'

Softball Mom

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Kimberlyd125 For This Useful Post:

http://www.mlive.com/news/kalamazoo/.../post_237.html

Memorable quotes from 2011 from Kalamazoo-area newsmakers and news events

"We'll keep looking for her."

-- Therese McComb, shortly after she watched Ricky Spencer, an accomplice to Doug Stewart in the murder of Venus Stewart, be sentenced to one year in the St. Joseph County Jail.
    Glove Findin'
    Uniform Washin'
    Gatorade Gettin'
    Picture Takin'
    Always Cheerin'

Softball Mom

18. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Kimberlyd125 For This Useful Post:

Venus Stewart trial appearing on truTV's 'In Session' (with video)

It's been more than a year-and-a-half since 32-year-old Venus Stewart was first reported missing by her Colon Township parents, but the public's fascination with the case continues. The trial of her estranged husband for Stewart's murder, which took place last spring in St. Joseph County, is airing for the next month or so on truTV's "In Session."

More: http://www.mlive.com/news/kalamazoo/...appearing.html
    FOR THE MISSING: PACIFIC NORTHWEST - Highlighting missing persons in the Pacific Northwest - www.facebook.com/missingnorthwest / www.twitter.com/MissingNW
    STILL DOING IT FOR DYLAN GROENE. REST IN PEACE.

HELP FIND MISSING 7-YEAR-OLD PATRICK ALFORD.

FOOTY/SOCCER FAN? Join us here.

20. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to SheWhoMustNotBeNamed For This Useful Post:

Venus Stewart Case archive:

http://s296.photobucket.com/albums/m...ord%20%20-WV-/

And a Complete Daily recap of the trial:

http://s296.photobucket.com/albums/m...mplice%20Info/
    Photos from various cases (click on left-column names on the main photobucket page...they are in alphabetical order) http://s296.photobucket.com/albums/mm166/crankycrankerson/

"LIKE" CCA: Crankycrankerson Case Archives on facebook, and please share the link: https://www.facebook.com/pages/CCA-C...479258?sk=wall

22. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to AmandaReckonwith For This Useful Post:

Updated: MSP Trooper honored for work on Venus Stewart case

In the spring of 2010, wife and mother of two, Venus Stewart, went missing from her parents home in Colon Township when she went out to get the mail.

In 2011 her estranged husband, Doug Stewart, was sentenced to life in prison for her murder.

Now MSP Trooper Aaron Steensma has been awarded the Michigan State Police Meritorious Award for his role in the conviction.

More: http://www.wwmt.com/articles/msp-140...nnel-case.html
    FOR THE MISSING: PACIFIC NORTHWEST - Highlighting missing persons in the Pacific Northwest - www.facebook.com/missingnorthwest / www.twitter.com/MissingNW

24. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to SheWhoMustNotBeNamed For This Useful Post:

Stewart murder accomplice to be freed

It has been nearly two years since Venus Stewart disappeared from her parents' Colon Township home and nearly a year since her husband Doug Stewart was convicted of her killing her.

On Sunday, 24 Hour News 8 learned from Venus Stewart's family members that Doug Stewart's convicted accomplice Ricky Spencer is scheduled to be released from jail.

More: http://www.woodtv.com/dpp/news/local...to-be-released

26. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to SheWhoMustNotBeNamed For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by SheWhoMustNotBeNamed View Post
    Stewart murder accomplice to be freed

It has been nearly two years since Venus Stewart disappeared from her parents' Colon Township home and nearly a year since her husband Doug Stewart was convicted of her killing her.

On Sunday, 24 Hour News 8 learned from Venus Stewart's family members that Doug Stewart's convicted accomplice Ricky Spencer is scheduled to be released from jail.

More: http://www.woodtv.com/dpp/news/local...to-be-released
    I understand the anger from Venus's family as is evident in the comments section of this article.

I really wish they could just find her. I hope Spencer can add something so at least the children can know where their mom is.

"[Venus' daughter] came home from school and said, 'Who's going to go with me? My mommy's dead and my daddy's in prison,'" said Hopkins.

so sad.......

28. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Coldpizza For This Useful Post:

Gosh. I can't believe it's been almost a year since the trial.

I was livid when Ricky only got a year because he could have made 1 phone call and Venus would still be alive.

But his testimony was imperative to get the verdict.

I pray often that Venus will be found.

I wish Doug would have told Ricky where he put her. I think Ricky would have told.
    Glove Findin'
    Uniform Washin'
    Gatorade Gettin'
    Picture Takin'
    Always Cheerin'

Softball Mom

30. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Kimberlyd125 For This Useful Post:

It's been almost two years!!! Hard to imagine.

Next month will mark 2 years since Venus was killed and dumped somewhere.
    I really hope and pray she is found soon so her family can give her a proper burial. Her girls need somewhere to "visit" their Mom.

Still praying for you Venus.
    Glove Findin'
    Uniform Washin'
    Gatorade Gettin'
    Picture Takin'
    Always Cheerin'

Softball Mom

32. The Following User Says Thank You to Kimberlyd125 For This Useful Post:

kai

Where is Venus????

Just bumping.

We have not forgotten you Venus!

Praying.
    Glove Findin'
    Uniform Washin'
    Gatorade Gettin'
    Picture Takin'
    Always Cheerin'

Softball Mom

34. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Kimberlyd125 For This Useful Post:

Friends, family honor memory of Venus Stewart

It was two years ago on April 26, 2010, that Venus Stewart, 32-year-old mother of two daughters, went missing from the home of her parents, Larry and Therese McComb, in Colon Township. On Sunday afternoon, April 29, more than 100 friends and family members gathered at Colon Community Park to honor her memory.

More: http://www.sturgisjournal.com/photos...-Venus-Stewart

36. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to SheWhoMustNotBeNamed For This Useful Post:

http://www.wwmt.com/shared/newsroom/...vid_1682.shtml

Missing Person's Day aims to help solve cases

Officers took tips on old cases and held interview on any new cases of missing people.

The hope is that these new leads will help bring closure to families in West Michigan.

And then there's Venus Stewart. Two years ago she walked out to her mailbox in Colon Township and was never seen again.

"I donít even know how to descrive how we were together, we were best buddies," said Stewart's mother, Therese McComb.

These stories are a big reason why local law enforcement sponsors Michigan Missing Person's Day.

The event is designed to help re-fresh cases that police may not have looked into for a while.

Volunteers took information from family and friends and entered it into a national database.

"We had a lot of folks that come in and were able to give DNA samples and dental records and more information about their loved ones that are lost," said McIntire.

Stewart's mother came to the event with hope her presence will her daughter be found.

"She was so important, she was a good person, she needs to be found," said McComb.

Police say last year's Missing Person's Day helped solve four cold cases in the Detroit area.
    Glove Findin'
    Uniform Washin'
    Gatorade Gettin'
    Picture Takin'
    Always Cheerin'

Softball Mom

No results in search for body of Venus Stewart

http://www.sturgisjournal.com/topsto...-Venus-Stewart

By Corky Emrick emrick@sturgisjournal.com
    Sturgis Journal
    Posted Jul 27, 2012 @ 08:17 AM

<snipped>
    Divers took to the water, searching the bank and riverbed, but with no results.

39. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to summer_breeze For This Useful Post:

I pray they find her soon.
    Her family needs to know where she is.
    Doug knows. But he will never tell I'm afraid.
    Glove Findin'
    Uniform Washin'
    Gatorade Gettin'
    Picture Takin'
    Always Cheerin'

Softball Mom

Still thinking of you Venus.
    Glove Findin'
    Uniform Washin'
    Gatorade Gettin'
    Picture Takin'
    Always Cheerin'

Softball Mom

42. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Kimberlyd125 For This Useful Post:

http://www.wwmt.com/shared/newsroom/...vid_3514.shtml

Appeal hearing for Doug Stewart

Doug Stewart is back in court Wednesday, hoping to be granted a new trial.

His appeal hearing is taking place in Grand Rapids.

***This is from Aug. 8th. Looking for updates now.
    Glove Findin'
    Uniform Washin'
    Gatorade Gettin'
    Picture Takin'
    Always Cheerin'

Softball Mom

44. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Kimberlyd125 For This Useful Post:

Page 12 of 13 FirstFirst ... 2345678910111213 LastLast