GUILTY PA - David Rinke for child *advertiser censored*, Erie, 2011

Missizzy

Reaction score
Always so ready and willing to volunteer with the extracurricular activities. And it seems common to be a volunteer firefighter. As if volunteering to save lives somehow cancels out the dark side.

http://www.goerie.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20110226/NEWS02/302259899

Collegiate Academy teacher charged with possessing child *advertiser censored*

"....The FBI says their investigation revealed "Hunter789" to be a 10th-grade science teacher at Northwest Pennsylvania Collegiate Academy, who also coached and refereed youth sporting events. David A. Rinke II, 39, was arrested by FBI agents Friday after the agents served a search warrant at his home in the 900 block of East 31st Street.

In an interview, Rinke confirmed that he is "Hunter789" and that he has shared child *advertiser censored* with others via his computer, according to the criminal complaint filed against Rinke. Rinke told investigators that he has been collecting child *advertiser censored* for about 10 to 15 years..."

and

"...Rinke was "extremely involved in extracurricular activities." He was a coach and refereed multiple sports, including soccer and lacrosse. [FBI Special Agent, Jason] Crouse's complaint said Rinke was also a volunteer firefighter...."

and

"....Rinke's files contained images of preteen boys and girls, and included a girl as young as 1 or 2 being sexually molested...."

more at link

And:

http://www.collegiateacademy.com/

Mr. Rinke's teacher's page has been shut down.

The comments are rolling in:

http://www.topix.com/forum/city/erie-pa/TR8LP5Q58PGC5JFOA

Another article with a photo, not a mug shot. Nice looking guy. Seems friendly:

http://www.wicu12.com/news/index.vnss?newsid=11561&type=News

If one was walking, Mr. Rinke's house was less than a mile from the school. I wonder if he invited kids over to talk. He seems to have had a ready ear at school. There are also two other schools even closer.

Interesting comments from Topix, yesterday:

"....everyone at collegiate academy referred to him as the creeper and child molester..."

"....I knew rinke from the fire department...we didn't like him. There was something strange about him when it came to kids..."

Oh I think he used that "Hunter789" alot. I can't link just in case, but he may have even put up a few fake profiles posing as a young kid.

Do gooder.

***Ummmmm if you come upon this guys name and a basketball forum don't click it. I did figuring let me see what he posted. It pops up about file sharing and what if you had a fire or flood. Nothing fresh or anything, but shifty. It took me a ton of clicks to get out of it. Not sure what it's about, but obviously not about basketball********

So where's the rest of his 10-15yr collection? I'm not buying that all he has is "66 image files and five video files" - there must be more somewhere, right?

Mr. Rinke has been in trouble before and is not going anywhere soon:

http://www.goerie.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20110301/NEWS02/303019902

"A Northwest Pennsylvania Collegiate Academy teacher accused of possessing child *advertiser censored* won't be released on bond until another federal judge has the chance to review the prosecution's request that the teacher await trial in prison...."

and

"...[Assistant US Attorney, Christian] Trabold argues that Rinke, who he said amassed a collection of thousands of images of graphic child *advertiser censored*, also had been warned twice by the Erie School District about his improper contact with students through social networking sites such as Facebook and MySpace, and instant messaging. Trabold also said that Rinke had formerly served as a local volunteer fireman, but left the department after a parent complained about his contact with her son...."

more at link

They are asking that he await trial in prison? Is that correct? Not the county jail?

It's interesting that the comments at Topix are still following the same path. Most students seemed to pick up on something "off" about this guy. That was exactly what happened in our family's case. The rapist had few friends his own age and chose instead to pursue friendships with children with developmental disabilities. I was furious when person after person (even teachers) told us after the arrest that they'd "seen this coming for years". Why didn't people warn us? I understand now that most people really bend over backwards to give people the benefit of the doubt and not to ruin reputations. I hold no grudges as I know this to be what happened....now. At the time it was miserably hard.

However, I have a great deal of concern about the students who were most at risk in Rinke's classroom and circle....those with special needs or any who were in some sort of crisis (half the teens at any given time), and those who were marginalized for whatever reason. Those kids would have been especially vulnerable to this man. He paid attention and listened when no one else would. He had his own agenda, it seems.

Someone commented that he's a "good man" and that we shouldn't be so quick to judge as we wouldn't want our deepest and darkest secrets to be revealed. I have some secrets which I really wouldn't want revealed but they wouldn't get me arrested. There's a difference between mistakes and unfortunate choices and breaking the law.

Oh, my heart just broke a little when I read this. I doubt any of us are surprised. My prayers go out to the brave man who spoke up. He's got a rough road ahead. But he's taken the first step.

http://www.goerie.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20110304/NEWS02/303049893

Federal prosecutor: Man said suspended Erie teacher molested him when he was boy

"The U.S. Attorney's Office today told a judge that a man has come forward and said he was molested when he was boy by David A. Rinke II, the suspended Erie teacher accused of having child *advertiser censored* on his personal computer.

The man, whose name was not disclosed, told federal investigators on Thursday that the abuse started when the man was 11 years old and lasted for eight years, Assistant U.S. Attorney Christian Trabold said in federal court in Erie. Trabold said the man was not a student of Rinke during that time frame.

The man is an adult now, and the statute of limitations for charging Rinke over the abuse allegations has expired, according to evidence presented today...."

more at link

Is this idea of living with one's parents while awaiting trial on child sex charges a new one? I sure see it a lot. I cannot, as a parent, imagine carrying that responsibility or liability. These are adults who have an addiction to a criminal behavior. How are their parents supposed to "control" them?

This guy is beyond creepy. Repeatedly warned about taking pics of students' groin areas? Stacks of info on students? Scores of kids and parents complaining. I imagine this school district's insurance company is having apoplexy this morning. Why oh why, was this man allowed to teach? Why wasn't LE notified about all this screwy behavior? All a victim needs to be able to civilly sue, is proof that a school "should have known". This school should have known.

http://www.goerie.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20110305/NEWS02/303049893

Judge, after hearing claim of molestation, detains suspended Erie teacher

"....[Judge, Sean] McLaughlin said he could not release Rinke, given the gravity of the child-*advertiser censored* charges, which he said federal law considers crimes of violence, and evidence the Erie School District repeatedly warned Rinke about befriending students and taking photos of students' clothed groin areas at sporting events. Rinke until his arrest taught 10th-grade science at Northwest Pennsylvania Collegiate Academy. He also was a referee for youth soccer "The risks are too great," McLaughlin said of releasing Rinke. "The stakes are too high."

Rinke, wearing a green prison uniform, kept his head down for much of the hearing, which his parents attended. Assistant U.S. Attorney Christian Trabold said Rinke confessed to having the child *advertiser censored* -- tens of thousands of images, including a depiction of the rape of a male infant -- and to collecting child *advertiser censored* for 10 to 15 years. Rinke is facing no other charges.

A man came forward on Thursday and told federal investigators Rinke molested him years ago, when he was an adolescent and a teenager, Trabold said. Trabold said the man, whose name was not disclosed and who did not testify Friday, visited the Crime Victim Center of Erie County, 125 W. 18th St., on Thursday to report the claims. Trabold said the man told investigators the abuse started when the man was 11 years old and lasted for eight years. Trabold said the man told investigators Rinke plied him with trips to McDonald's and let the man drive Rinke's car when he was not old enough to do so...."

and

"...On Friday, Trabold said the man who alleged Rinke abused him detailed his claims on Thursday to the FBI and the chief federal prosecutor in Erie, Assistant U.S. Attorney Marshall Piccinini. The man said he met Rinke when he was 9 years old, Trabold said, and that the abuse started two years later.

Trabold said the man's description of Rinke's basement matched what FBI agents saw when they searched Rinke's house, in the 900 block of East 31st Street, the day before the FBI charged him. In a search of Rinke's computer files, Trabold said, the FBI found the man's name, and the name of his current place of employment held "places of prominence in Mr. Rinke's computer." "The victim's last name appears throughout Mr. Rinke's computer," Trabold said. Trabold said investigators found a stack of notecards 2 to 4 inches tall in Rinke's home in which he recorded e-mails and other information about students he had taught...."

more at link

Not much of a shock....

http://www.goerie.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20110902/NEWS02/309029906

Suspended Erie teacher plans guilty plea in child-*advertiser censored* case
September 2, 2011

"A suspended Erie School District teacher charged with possessing child *advertiser censored* on his personal computer is set to plead guilty in federal court in Erie later this month. David A. Rinke II, 39, who had taught 10th-grade science at Northwest Pennsylvania Collegiate Academy, is scheduled to enter the plea on Sept. 30..."

and

and

"...The U.S. Attorney's Office has said Rinke confessed to having the child *advertiser censored*, and said he had been collecting such images for 10 to 15 years. The Erie School District suspended Rinke without pay upon his arrest. Rinke, who had taught at the district for 10 to 12 years, is expected to be terminated from his job once his court case is resolved."

more at link

And if you read back over our thread, you'll see that Rinke did far more than just teach. If there was a child focused activity, Rinke was involved. Note that he began collecting child *advertiser censored* PRIOR to seeking his job as a teacher. What does that tell you?

In checking out any updates on Rinke, I found some interesting comments on Topix:

http://www.topix.com/forum/city/erie-pa/TFVVB3EU84UE1QOR9

Rinke's dad solicited these letters? That's a bit creepy, isn't it?

And, here we go--here's the plea and sentencing is to follow next week:

http://www.justice.gov/usao/paw/news/2011/2011_september/2011_09_30_01.html

Former Erie Teacher Pleads Guilty To Receipt And Distribution Of Child *advertiser censored*

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE: September 30 , 2011

ERIE, Pa. - A resident of Erie, Pennsylvania, pleaded guilty in federal court to a charge of violating federal laws relating to the sexual exploitation of children, United States Attorney David J. Hickton announced today.

David A. Rinke II, age 39, pleaded guilty to one count before United States District Judge Sean J. McLaughlin.

In connection with the guilty plea, the court was advised that over the last ten to fifteen years Rinke amassed a collection of tens of thousands of images and movies depicting the sexual assault of children, as young as infants. Rinke was caught when he distributed child *advertiser censored* to an undercover FBI agent in Phoenix, Arizona.

Launched in February 2006, Project Safe Childhood is a nationwide initiative designed to protect children from online exploitation and abuse. Led by the U.S. Attorneys' Offices, Project Safe Childhood marshals federal, state and local resources to better locate, apprehend, and prosecute individuals who exploit children via the Internet, as well as identify and rescue victims. For more information about Project Safe Childhood, please visit www.projectsafechildhood.gov.

Judge McLaughlin scheduled sentencing for February 13, 2012. The law provides for a total sentence of 20 years in prison, a fine of $250,000, or both. Under the Federal Sentencing Guidelines, the actual sentence imposed is based upon the seriousness of the offense and the criminal history, if any, of the defendant.

Assistant United States Attorney Christian A. Trabold is prosecuting this case on behalf of the government.

The Federal Bureau of Investigation and the Pennsylvania State Police conducted the investigation that led to the prosecution of Rinke.

Rinke's sentencing:

http://www.goerie.com/article/20120...-19-years-in-child-*advertiser censored*-case

Former Erie teacher sentenced to more than 19 years in child *advertiser censored* case
February 13, 2012

"A former Northwest Pennsylvania Collegiate Academy science teacher was sentenced this morning to 19 years and seven months in federal prison on charges he collected thousands of images of child *advertiser censored*...."

more at link

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Autumn.Doe
Back