Teacher rattles table in class, student calls 911

Good news for all the students who want to get rid of their boring teachers. Just call 911 for whichever ridiculous reason and the teacher'll be gone because there was a police response, and the tax payers are grateful to be paying for their paid administrative leave. :waitasec:

How far are we to go with this? Rattle a table to get attention from student is acceptable to me. this shouldn't even made the news . Now if he turn the table uside down or put his hands on her that another issue.

That child should be reprimanded. How much you want to bet that if we hear from the parent(s) it will be a helipcopter parent defending their po' scared senseless child.

Sorry, I was being sassy on that last sentence.

I do think that we would probably find a helicopter parent standing behind that child patting her on the back.

I say the child's parents should have to pay for the false 911 call, the response of LE and the teachers pay while on administrative leave.

But that's just me. The reason I say that is because when LE arrived they found a calm teacher and class in session and *no other students* were bothered by the table rattling.

This is so beyond ridiculous it would be outright laughable if we weren't talking about a teacher's livelihood.

All JMHO (kind of embarrassed I reacted so strongly)

Good thing none of my students have been so easily freaked out. I have been known to slam a book down on a table or two in my time.

I had a teacher in HS who threw chalk at the walls to get attention (once, even, according to legend, a textbook) - and he was one of my favourite teachers of all times.

Ridiculous...and to me, scary that this could cost a teacher his/her job, reputation, or even a reprimand. It's like kids run the country nowadays.

That sounds like one scared kid. And with all the school violence she has probably heard about, it's no wonder. If that is all that happened though I don't think the teacher should be on adm leave. Also someone should talk with the girl, check her out to see if there is a source of violence in her life somewhere. Can't think of the name of that stress disorder but it can make a person overly-sensitive to noise.

I understand that the student was out of line, and overreacted, but they are kids. The student didn't put the teacher on paid leave, the school district did. Kids will be kids, and they will act up in school. They will try to get away with as much as they can.

The school could have easily, disciplined the student, and sent the teacher back to the classroom. The overreaction, and lack of common sense is in the way the district is run, not this particular student.

I had a HS teacher kick the metal trashcan across the room once, left a dent in it, lol. And more than a few slammed textbooks down, ala WhyADuck, lol! I'd be interested to know the child's living situation. Maybe they have PTSD from abuse? Or violent or drunk parents?

Ugh. I feel like kids know they can get away with anything, so they'll call you out on anything. You can't discipline them at ALL. Now you can't even make noise to get attention? If you dare try to punish them in any way, their parents will just sue. I don't think this girl had any issue. That's just my opinion, and I don't know her, so its completely without any basis... aside from the fact that kids seem to know now that they run the show, and take advantage of it. She just wanted him in trouble, for daring to disrupt whatever she was doing - probably texting.

How ridiculous. Kat, don't be embarrassed.

I had a teacher who used to throw chalkboard erasers at any student who was misbehaving in elementary school. Slammed a few books on the desk. It was a little disconcerting, but we knew he was a bit of a hot head in class. He never actually hit anyone. The eraser may have just whizzed by the blabber mouth's ear. :)

Is thankful I no longer have to deal with the stress of teaching any longer...

That's ridiculous and if it were my kids who did that WHOOOO DOGGY!
Life would NOT be pleasant at home for a while.

I feel that we may not know the whole story - maybe he's done similar things before and she was waiting for him to do it again so she could call 911. MOO

But if it was just rattling a table, that's ridiculous.

I want to hear that 911 call

I want to know what she said, how she sounded etc.

it's possible she has PTSD and was genuinely scared

it does seem a bit extreme to be 'rattling' a table around children that young ... (if it were adolescents I could understand the frustration - lol) but the girl's reaction is even more extreme, which makes me think she was already nervous about this teacher for some reason - has he done strange or erratic things before that haven't been reported? did she sense he was out of control?

I'm not getting the bratty child feeling from this but that's just me

Good thing none of my students have been so easily freaked out. I have been known to slam a book down on a table or two in my time.

I had a teacher in HS who threw chalk at the walls to get attention (once, even, according to legend, a textbook) - and he was one of my favourite teachers of all times.

:floorlaugh: Were you my teacher :floorlaugh:

I wonder if she was texting?

If she was paying attention to the teacher at all then she would not have been startled, barring any disorders which definitely need to be addressed. JMO. And yes, me and my son have had textbooks slammed, thrown erasers, and the absolute worst, fingernails on the chalkboard. My son had a priest who would fling a yardstick like a frisbee across the room to hit the far wall. He thought it was funny. But he was paying attention, knew when it was coming. Father Yardstick would smack sleepers on the back too, just enough to wake them. 8th graders are plenty old enough to know to pay attention in class.

How ridiculous. Kat, don't be embarrassed.

I had a teacher who used to throw chalkboard erasers at any student who was misbehaving in elementary school. Slammed a few books on the desk. It was a little disconcerting, but we knew he was a bit of a hot head in class. He never actually hit anyone. The eraser may have just whizzed by the blabber mouth's ear. :)

I had about two paragraphs of rant and raving I had to edit out before I posted that's why I was embarrassed I had reacted so strongly to this issue :)

I had a teacher who did that stuff too. In middle school and high school as well.

If this child has some home issues that are making her more prone to being frightened then her home needs to be investigated not just put this teacher on admin leave because she is scared he rattled a table. In the one article we have no other students seemed upset by it and the teacher was calm and conducting class when LE showed up. Sounds to me like a brat but like other's pointed out I don't have all the info. all JMHO. :)

ETA: 8th graders are adolescents. At least all the 8th graders I have raised and/or met because of my kids.

My youngest is 8th grade right now and she is 14.

Good thing that kid didn't go to Catholic school! I have had erasers flung at my head by nuns when they noticed I was daydreaming! Talk about a wake up call!

From DarkKnight's link:

Atherton police Sgt. Tim Lynch tells the Palo Alto Daily News that officers went to Selby Lane School Tuesday afternoon because of reports a teacher was causing a disturbance.

Officers found a calm teacher with class in session.

The sergeant says the teacher's table-rattling startled a student and she used her cell phone to call 911. He says other students in the class weren't bothered by the teacher's actions.

Redwood City School District deputy superintendent John Baker says the teacher was placed on leave because there was a police response.

I've gotta tell you, if ONE student was disturbed enough to dial 911 and not one other student in the class was bothered, I'd be inclined to focus my attention onto that one student, and NOT ON THE TEACHER.

Those of you who are familiar with my posts will remember that I am not a huge fan of public education, but in this case kgeaux is standing in the teacher's corner.

As Kat said, this is beyond ridiculous.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CarpSleuth
Back