977 users online (176 members and 801 guests)  

Websleuths News

Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 ... LastLast

CO - Charles, 50, & Marilyn Long, 51, murdered, Burlington, 1 March 2011

Just happened last night.....

http://www.krdo.com/news/27051243/detail.html

belimom is offline Our lives begin to end the day we become silent about things that matter ~MLK Jr
    Just awful...

12-year-old Colo. boy in custody, parents shot dead, siblings wounded
    ……..
    When officers arrived, they found the bodies of 50-year-old Charles Long and his wife, 51-year-old Marilyn Long. Two of their children were wounded - a 5-year-old girl and a 9-year-old boy.
    ……….
    http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-504083_1...html?tag=stack
    Fly high and free, Jhessye ~

My posts are meant to help think through possibilities and are strictly an additional opinion under circumstances when many points of view need to be considered. I apologize in advance to anyone whose potential involvement is contemplated in error. Please understand that much of what is happening is merely brainstorming during unfortunate events.

Always a good idea to have guns where kids can get them...
    Just my opinion, of course.

belimom is offline Our lives begin to end the day we become silent about things that matter ~MLK Jr
    Quote Originally Posted by cluciano63 View Post
    Always a good idea to have guns where kids can get them...
    Clu, while I agree, I don't think that's the issue. Kids have had access to guns for generations - but what we're seeing is escalating, IMO. Your average 12-yr-old isn't going to grab a gun and kill his parents.

(I'm not trying to debate gun control but rather something else that is going on inside families these days - throughout our society. And it saddens and frightens me.)

As a child, we had guns all over the house. My dad hunted and also had some pistols, etc. We all knew not to bother the guns.

My posts are meant to help think through possibilities and are strictly an additional opinion under circumstances when many points of view need to be considered. I apologize in advance to anyone whose potential involvement is contemplated in error. Please understand that much of what is happening is merely brainstorming during unfortunate events.

Quote Originally Posted by belimom View Post
    Clu, while I agree, I don't think that's the issue. Kids have had access to guns for generations - but what we're seeing is escalating, IMO. Your average 12-yr-old isn't going to grab a gun and kill his parents.

(I'm not trying to debate gun control but rather something else that is going on inside families these days - throughout our society. And it saddens and frightens me.)

As a child, we had guns all over the house. My dad hunted and also had some pistols, etc. We all knew not to bother the guns.
    Is it escalating? I honestly don't know, but it's my understanding that murder rates in general have gone down since the 1970s.

It's true there have been guns since Europeans arrived on the continent, but patricide and matricide go way back, too. See Sophocles and Aeschylus.

Quote Originally Posted by Nova View Post
    Is it escalating? I honestly don't know, but it's my understanding that murder rates in general have gone down since the 1970s.

It's true there have been guns since Europeans arrived on the continent, but patricide and matricide go way back, too. See Sophocles and Aeschylus.
    You're right - I don't know if it's escalating but it appears to. I wasn't talking about from the 70's, though, I was talking about from like the 1900's.

But it's a debate I've seen before about crimes: are they more prevalent or are we just hearing more about it b/c of how 'connected' we are these days?

Marie is offline Daughter, if you don't remember us...who will?
    LE has now arrested the boy and his two siblings are in critical condition.

Neighbors say the family also has 4 adult children, one in Iraq. Also a home-schooling family, church going & active Christians, including the 12yo. All children described as well behaved and kind.

Dad had a blog discussing balancing his family life with homeschooling & truck driving (Frito truck).

One neighbor says 12yo would visit while he (neighbor) was gardening and complain of being bored.

The church pastor described the 12yo as being one of the top 2 or 3 most helpful children at church.

What do you think was going on behind closed doors that would make this boy decide to shoot his family?

I doubt that 'boredom' drove him to it.
    “Every day that they don’t find something is good for me.“ Billie Dunn

Quote Originally Posted by belimom View Post

BBM How did you all know not to bother the guns? What would have happened to you if you did?

Quote Originally Posted by Trident View Post
    BBM How did you all know not to bother the guns? What would have happened to you if you did?
    I don't know. Just a respect for them, I guess? I mean, of course we knew we'd get in trouble, but we had seen them at work. I knew guns could kill a deer and was woken up and dragged out of bed to look at a deer (I hated that... ) every time my dad or older brother killed a deer. I knew guns could kill birds and helped my dad clean quail and doves. I didn't hunt but had seen my dad practice at targets and sight in new scopes, etc. When my dad said 'don't touch those guns - don't even go near them unless I'm with you b/c they're dangerous', we KNEW that. We had seen it in real life.

I wish I could pinpoint what it was, but I just don't know. Maybe a healthy respect - and I hate to throw this in - but lack of violent TV shows or video games that would ever make us think of pointing a gun at a person...?

Don't get me wrong: there's not a gun in my own house right now. DH wouldn't dream of it with kids around. I'm not as opposed to them as DH is b/c I was raised around them, but I agree with him there: kids and guns don't mix. Just b/c we didn't bother my dad's guns doesn't mean it doesn't happen. But I think of that more in terms of accidental shootings, which is not what happened in this case, sadly. I think this boy is very troubled or was driven over the edge by something.

Okay, I feel that I'm rambling now... Maybe my example doesn't apply here.
    Last edited by belimom; 03-02-2011 at 10:22 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by katydid23 View Post
    I doubt that 'boredom' drove him to it.
    He called the police to report it himself, according to that story.

Quote Originally Posted by Nova View Post

I think we hear more now because of a 24/7 news cycle and ease of broadcasting all over the world. Not waiting for the "6 o'clock news" or the one newspaper in town. We are saturated with it.

That said, I think it is alarmingly common...

Quote Originally Posted by Trident View Post
    My Dad (Grandad, friends etc...) were all hunters too, avid! Not a gun safe or cabinet among them, my Dad kept his guns on the top shelf in the master bedroom closet. We were told never to touch them or go near them without an adult there (my Dad). When he had them out, went hunting or whatever we were not discouraged from touching them or asking questions, even shooting (while out on a trip with him). We also helped him reload all of his own ammo, which was kept in the drawer in the closet. I don't know what would have happened if I had gotten a gun down, but I didn't EVER, my Dad told me not too, so I didn't, to my knowledge, neither did my sister.

Also, in my house growing up, and now with my kids the rule was "Guns are not toys and toys are not guns" we never had toy guns, I chose not to play with toy guns at friends houses (maybe I was scared, I don't know) and I do not allow my children toy guns. I don't follow a ton of my parents rules that they maintained when I was growing up for my children, but this is one that I do.
    "The truth does not change according to our ability to stomach it." — Flannery O'Connor

Marie is offline Daughter, if you don't remember us...who will?
    The little 4yo girl is improving, thank goodness.

Let's please not derail this into a discussion about gun control or safety, the victims deserve more than that.

Quote Originally Posted by Marie View Post
    The little 4yo girl is improving, thank goodness.

Let's please not derail this into a discussion about gun control or safety, the victims deserve more than that.
    Marie, I agree. But I don't think a healthy discussion detracts too much.

Back to the case, though - I do wonder what caused this boy to do this. And I pray that the siblings will recover... Prayers for them and to the family.

My only point about guns is that if they were not available he would have been unlikely to have been able to actually kill two, perhaps four, people. We knows kids that age are very impulsive, their brains are not fully-developed, etc...more than we used to know. And yet this keeps on happening.
    Just my opinion, of course.

Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 ... LastLast