GUILTY CO - Ryan Wappel for sexual exploitation of a child, Longmont, 2010

Filly

KICKING AND SHINING
Reaction score
Here we go. Ryan Wappel aged 18 is a RSO. In December he was commanded to undergo intense treatment and not to be around any young kids. His original offense was when he used his position as a babysitter to hurt young boys.

Well, Wappel sure is hanging around young kids and "goofing off and riding scooters" according to a woman who saw this and called cops. Good move lady.
http://www.denverpost.com/breakingnews/ci_17520758

Oh Lord, Filly. This one really gets me. Children are so vulnerable to threats.

I'm not happy.

"...."Ryan said he wasn't going to lose his babysitting jobs and didn't want to explain it to his counselor, so he and his parents decided to 'keep it under the carpet,'" according to the affidavit...."

He was in therapy and didn't disclose that he was babysitting. Sex offender therapy is supposed to include masturbatory logs and frequent disclosure polygraphs. It's also assumed that the parents will assist the counselor. Won't it be interesting to see what his sexual history disclosures include, being that the parents seem so forgiving of this.....person.

OMG he's sick.. there is NO rehab for child predators but especially ones with enabling family! Family isa just as guilty as he is..

"Ryan said he wasn't going to lose his babysitting jobs and didn't want to explain it to his counselor, so he and his parents decided to 'keep it under the carpet,'" according to the affidavit.

Read more: Longmont teen suspected of luring children with text messages - Boulder Daily Camera http://www.dailycamera.com/news/ci_15721611#ixzz1FVzDrDJr
DailyCamera.com

Somewhere as I googled his name there's an article about mom's grappling at his last trial?

I was going to post, but it was taking forever for me to download.

Loose cannon.

Dance moves.

If Judge Whalen was so "gravely concerned", why in heckola did she sentence him to community based treatment?

http://www.timescall.com/news_story.asp?ID=25623

".....During that hearing, Boulder District Judge Gwyneth Whalen said she was "gravely concerned" about the community's safety, even with Wappel on the intensive supervision and listed as a registered sex offender.

His defense attorney said during his sentencing that he was slow to mature mentally and sexually, according to evaluations..."

more at link

Talk about deja vu. I know someone else who didn't do so hot with community based treatment. Even after now serving ten years, I worry.

Waggel hurt other children. Take my word on that.

I just thought I didn't have triggers. I'm going to knit now........

before my head explodes.

This is just great. The creep's dad is a Boy Scout leader and soccer coach at a local elementary school. Would anyone like to bet me just how much time Ryan Wappel spent helping out. I imagine he's oh so helpful, always willing to babysit.

So his dad has undoubtedly been through sexual safety training with the BS and through the school and he "sweeps this under the carpet"??????

Why do I know this story?

Knitting.

I think this is the story which Filly is referring to. The mothers of the two young boys didn't get much info in court last year. I'm sure they're not real pleased now:

http://www.timescall.com/news_story.asp?ID=23784

"....“My kid sleeps in my room on the floor every night,” she said, adding that the boy sometimes asks, “Is Ryan in jail? Is Ryan in jail yet, Mom?”

and

"...Since the women [the mothers of the two boys] found out about the suspected exploitation, they have been second-guessing their own judgment, the investigation, Wappel and his parents, and the prosecution. They said they wonder what they missed.

They question how Wappel could remain a Boy Scout after his juvenile case.

They question why the baby sitter is not facing criminal prosecution because she knew of Wappel’s juvenile record and invited him to socialize with the boys. They question why his case is not progressing faster and how a district judge could allow him to work and make money...."

more at link

I live about 15 miles from here. I even worked in Longmont. For the most part, it's okay, but there are definitely areas of town that you don't want to be caught alone...even in the day. It has an attraction for illegal immigrants, they come in and try to work labor jobs...landscaping, working on the farms, etc. The town does seem to attract a certain "element", although there are parts that are just fine.

It's history is an industrial town...railroads, sugar mill, and there was a canning factory, but I can't recall for which company. Most of that industry has shut down in the town, leaving the vacant buildings, and such.

Just trying to give a semi-local overview.

The information DeepThinker provided tells me that there are probably many many vulnerable children in this area, as most parents are busy working. And note that he's been arrested THREE times. I'm actually surprised this is getting the media attention it is. I have a feeling that LE has reason to get this guy's photo out there. The fact that there are vacant buildings scare me.

Oh yes, I'm still having a wee bit of a problem with this guy. It didn't help to read the comments here. A great one about how he touches all the bases of being a predator and then this one which kept me up half the night:

http://www.dailycamera.com/ci_17520269

"....My son and I actually met this kid at a Boy Scout camp. I'm a little surprised the article makes no mention of his involvement as a camp counselor for the Scouts over many years...."

So not only an Eagle Scout and the son of a BS leader and staff member (both parents) but also a camp counselor for MANY years!!!!

If I can be of any help in answering any questions, checking something out locally, I will certainly try. If someone needs pics, I am willing to go do that, as well :)

I can say for those that were following the Kayleah Wilson case...she was in Greeley, which is about 30-35 miles east/northeast of Longmont. If anyone did research on Greeley, Longmont is somewhat a smaller version, imo. It is rural/industrial. DEA and ICE are prevalent. The meat packing plant in Greeley attracts a LOT of illegal immigrants. They've been busted several times resulting in a shut-down of the plant, because they don't have enough workers after the raid. There are also the immigrant field workers, feed lots, etc. These people travel back and forth to Greeley, Longmont, and all the smaller towns along the Colorado Highway 85 corridor. I can see where a person like this could fit in very easily in this environment, as a lot of these people are immigrants and won't report incidents to the local law enforcement. He could operate freely.

DeepThinker--It would be helpful if you kept an eye out for local comments that we might miss. Both of the parents of this young man work for the Boy Scouts. I'm not sure if it's volunteer work or a paid position but both would know all the issues concerning mandated reporting. I am literally sickened that they covered up for him and put other children at risk.

If I'm not mistaken, the family moved to this area from somewhere else. Let me check again. But that's a common theme when families know their children are acting out and choose to protect them.

I am making no specific accusations about the family but one has to wonder why they are covering up for him, rather than assisting him in getting help. The teen might be immature but he's an Eagle Scout. I'm fairly certain that he's bright enough to know right from wrong. Becoming an Eagle Scout is no easy task. And he was chosen to be a camp counselor. He's had access to hundreds of little boys and probably with far less supervision than an adult would have. One has to wonder just when the first arrest was and what the crime involved.

He's proven that he knows how to groom, to threaten, to minimize, to lie, to deflect, to break the rules.....he's well on his way.

Hmm. The family moved to Colorado from Belleville, IL. In and around Belleville are a number of relatives who seem involved with Boy Scouts, homeschooling, church, and music instruction.

I hope to high heck that the good folks back in Belleville didn't fail to warn the people of Colorado about the boy moving their direction.

DeepThinker--It would be helpful if you kept an eye out for local comments that we might miss. Both of the parents of this young man work for the Boy Scouts. I'm not sure if it's volunteer work or a paid position but both would know all the issues concerning mandated reporting. I am literally sickened that they covered up for him and put other children at risk.

If I'm not mistaken, the family moved to this area from somewhere else. Let me check again. But that's a common theme when families know their children are acting out and choose to protect them.

I am making no specific accusations about the family but one has to wonder why they are covering up for him, rather than assisting him in getting help. The teen might be immature but he's an Eagle Scout. I'm fairly certain that he's bright enough to know right from wrong. Becoming an Eagle Scout is no easy task. And he was chosen to be a camp counselor. He's had access to hundreds of little boys and probably with far less supervision than an adult would have. One has to wonder just when the first arrest was and what the crime involved.

He's proven that he knows how to groom, to threaten, to minimize, to lie, to deflect, to break the rules.....he's well on his way.

While I don't work there anymore, I will think about if I know any connections that could maybe give a better description of the family dynamic, etc. I will certainly keep my eyes/ears open.

Until Wappel appears in court, or any new allegations roll in, I doubt that we'll hear anything. It's best to keep checking back with the initial articles, however, as often new comments appear.

I'm going to be very curious to see how a judge handles this case.

This is just great. The creep's dad is a Boy Scout leader and soccer coach at a local elementary school. Would anyone like to bet me just how much time Ryan Wappel spent helping out. I imagine he's oh so helpful, always willing to babysit.

So his dad has undoubtedly been through sexual safety training with the BS and through the school and he "sweeps this under the carpet"??????

Why do I know this story?

Knitting.

This boy started really young, family is allegedly trying to hide it. Anyone check other family names to see if they are on sex offender lists?

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CarpSleuth
Back