2011.03.04 Hearing Summary Thread ***NO DISCUSSION HERE PLEASE***

Status
Not open for further replies.

beach

Verified Expert
Reaction score
The purpose of this thread is provide succinct daily recaps of courtroom highlights and rulings. It serves as a companion thread to the real time discussion daily hearing threads that always become lengthy.

At this time, I have very few requests and guidelines. As this is a new venture, I anticipate having to add a few others as we will need to iron out any wrinkles as we see what works best for the intended purpose.

1. There is to be no discussion, cross-talk or responding to previous posts.
  2. I think it is best to try to post in subsequent order of the issues addressed in court to be true to the "flow" of the proceedings. For example, this morning the first issue was quashing the subpoena for Kathi Belich. Next, would be the testimony of Yuri Melich. I'm not saying that each post needs to address EVERY issue; you are free to post about one or two, just try to keep it in order of the proceedings. It might be a good idea to post during the breaks; or maybe a short recap after each issue/witness. If you are one who takes notes and would prefer posting one lengthy summary at the end of the day, that would be fine too.
  3. Try to hit the highlights - important testimony elicited from the witness, demeanor of the witness, Judge Perry's comments, rulings, etc.. I realize some opinion is going to be necessary to get your point across, but please try to keep it to a minimum.
Like I said, this is an experiment in progress. I ask for your patience as we work out the kinks as we go along. I am going to make this a sticky thread for easy reference and location. Thanks in advance for your time, efforts and help in this venture.

Here are my notes from the KB motion. (I could never be a reporter - they talk/crosstalk faster than I can type!)

Court started with scolding of delay due to KC not getting clothes in time. Stern warning given that this will not be tolerated.

First motion - motion re: Kathi Belish.

Greg Thomas on behalf of KB and WFTV.
He starts by reviewing standards in their motion on the law.
He states that JB mentioned LauraB and that KB has never talked to her. She did talk to Maya D. The info is readily available on Maya D.

Mason: Says there is no privilege that she injected herself in case. Says she spoon feed docs. State has taken Maya D off witness list. Says Maya D is possibly in conspiracy with Robin A. They want to take depo and if there is a conspiracy they want KB sequestered for that reason.
Mason saying they believe there was a conspiracy between Maya D and Robin A.

Judge: When did you take Robin A depo.

Mason: last week.

Judge: You took the depo of Maya D?

Mason: We tried but they wouldn't let us do it.

Judge: Has she given a statement?

Mason: Yes.

JB saying her testimony would be about discussion of potential remains.
Judge asking why Robin not asked about KB if there was a conspiracy.
JB saying Robin denied it all in her depo last week. JB says Maya D contradicts Robin A. Both part of letter exchange (his words). JB saying KB corrects Maya D with facts and that tape needs to authenticated - they could be outtakes or edited.
Judge says KB not the editor. Asking again what do you hope to gain talking to KB. Do you intend to call her? JB- we may. Judge: I didn't say may, I said do you intend to call her. Why
JB: To impeach Maya D.
JB: saying we filed to anticipate issues that might lie ahead. He is saying if MD testifies about 'stories feed to KB' they want to call KB.

Attorney for KB saying all the info from the interview is on the site. That that is all there is. Objects to taking KB depo under journalist privilege.

Judge reviews law - (stated in motion by WFTV, for reference)
Law designed to protect journalist and first amendment. Saying if we take this to seek - is a fishing expedition and defense has failed to show cause.
Motion to quash granted!

Thank you ANJ! :blowkiss: Beautiful detailed account!

Please know that I don't expect everyone to feel like they MUST post such a detailed account that ANJ provided us with. It is okay if you can't recall every.single.thing. Feel free to post what you can recall and the highlights that piqued your interest.

eta: I know I said "No Discussion", but humor me today as I try to guide this in the right direction and encourage participation. :)

(This is an idea for the thread - Beach feel free to delete and I will post the link at the end of the hearing in the big discussion thread too.)

Please click the thanks button on this post - ONLY if you want this type of information here. I am visual person, but that doesn't mean you member's at large want this type thing here. SO CLICK THANKS ONLY IF YOU WANT THIS HERE TOO.

http://s158.photobucket.com/albums/...uch/Jan32011 Hearing/March 2/March 3/March 4/

(Part 2 will be up after trial)

What have we learned today??

--- Yuri Melich was amazing on the stand today. It appears to me that he holds no animosity towards the Anthony's (Cindy, George and Lee) and was very gentle when explaining to the court that him and Cindy had some disagreements, and imo, he was very sympathetic about what they were going through and what they are still going through.

-- JB tried to pull a fast one (imo, on purpose) in calling Cindy Anthony to the stand without giving LDB a chance to cross exam John Allen. She was not happy about this... at all. I think she was actually dumbfounded?

-- John Allen was very professional and honest. That is about all I can say because he was up there for only a short time.

-- Cindy Anthony.... oh, Cindy. She did get reprimanded by Judge Perry today for speaking over LDB's objection. She basically pulled a George and said she wasn't finished. Everyone got a good laugh at her expense when she would not SHUT UP... Even Cheney Mason who was TRYING to get her to get to the point. She confirmed... imo... that she was not an "Agent of the State" when she answered "not willingly or knowingly." CASE CLOSED!

-- I really like Dorthy Clay Sims so far. She was professional and argues well. I have no idea what it was all about, but I think she is a good addition to Casey's defense. I want Casey to have a good defense so that she can not get off.

-- Cheney Mason, who I never really had that much of a problem with before, was great today. He was charming and I really liked the back and forth between Cheney and Linda. It was fun and you could tell that they really do like one another and are probably even friends outside the courtroom. I didn't have a problem with understanding him at all. Keep it up Cheney!

-- Casey!! Is just Casey. Writing. Smiling. Rolling her eyes. I think my favorite moment of Casey today is when she was NOT happy with JB helping LDB with names. She didn't like that at all.

-- The Academy of Motion Pictures and Sciences is in the process of sending Jose Angel Baez a Oscar for his astounding performance today. It seems that a discussion was had at side-bar prior to discussion of the States Motion to hold Jose in contempt of court. When we came back on record, Jeff Ashton addressed the court and said that the issue had been resolved and that Jose would then address his motion (to strike?) and this is when Jose Baez, since the issue had been resolved, went into a magnificent performance where he boasted about his self, his passion for his profession, an his respect for his profession as a defense attorney. He apologized to Jeff Ashton and said that he wished he had been a better friend (mocking Casey's speech when she pled guilty to the check fraud charges). Jeff Ashton accepted the apology.

I do want to mention that right before Jose went up and gave this stellar performance, he whispered something in Casey's ear that made her smirk... I won't speculate on what was said.

-- GEORGE!!! I am 100% convinced that your behavior in court will give Judge Perry no other choice but to sequester you and your wife (her behavior yesterday) during trial. You have no respect for these legal proceedings and will continue your distracting behavior into trial. Good job, sir!

Thank you ANJ! :blowkiss: Beautiful detailed account!

Please know that I don't expect everyone to feel like they MUST post such a detailed account that ANJ provided us with. It is okay if you can't recall every.single.thing. Feel free to post what you can recall and the highlights that piqued your interest.

eta: I know I said "No Discussion", but humor me today as I try to guide this in the right direction and encourage participation. :)

Thanks for this thread. Perfect!

As well as summaries I would recommend highlights, e.g., any bullet notes on actions such as motions granted and key observations. As a hearing progresses folks could post the note worthy stuff into the summary thread so we don't have to wade through all of the blow-by-blow chatter, which is cool but tough if you were not there real-time.

9:05am-ish

HHJudgeP:Robyn Adams, allegedly ICA made statements to Robyn Adams.

CMason: Maya Derkovich has given a statement, she was never given a deposition, "the prison wouldn't let us in."

HHJP: What would you expect Robyn Adams to testify to?

JB: She claims to have spoken to my client in reference to the findings of the remains.

HHJP: I'm interested in this conspiracy theory, b/c it takes 2 people to conspire. What was asked of her (RA)?

JB: She denies it all. Maya is contradicting RA, KB interviewed MD. KB decided to tell her things, I saw it on the WFTV website.

HHJP: What do you hope to gain in talking to KB? Mrs. Derkovich is not a witness for the state, do you intend to call her?

JB: Maybe

......etc.... then Motion to Quash KBelich Subpoena is granted by judge.

I would consider Baez making an apology to Ashton, one of the highlights of todays hearing. Whether genuine or not, it resolves an issue (Ashton requesting Baez be held in contempt of court), and allows the procedures to proceed.

http://www.wftv.com/video/27081023/index.html

Speaks volumes...

Belich said the issue in the battle over motions was ”whether the jury will see and hear the cat-and-mouse game Casey played” with investigators and her family.

Cindy Anthony said today that she was “not knowingly or willingly” an agent of the state.

That was the end of the story for WFTV legal analyst Sheaffer. “You cannot unwittingly be an agent for the police. You have to agree to it,” Sheaffer said.

WKMG-Channel 6 legal analyst Mark O’Mara said, “Family members were very willing participants. They had their own agenda, a good agenda: They wanted to find out where Caylee was.”

WESH’s Kealing said that prosecutor Linda Drane Burdick ”was able to successfully neutralize” the defense’s contention that the family were agents of the state.

http://blogs.orlandosentinel.com/en...tvguy+(TV+Guy)&utm_content=Google+Feedfetcher

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ignoreme123