GUILTY TX - Ronnie Odom for sexually abusing teen boys, Old River-Winfree, 2010

Missizzy

Reaction score
An alert WSer sent me the info on this....person. Seems that Mr. Odom was overly friendly with young pre-teen and teen boys. I don't do well with people like this but I am indebted to Judge Cain for the sentence.

http://www.click2houston.com/news/27070786/detail.html

Child Molester Gets Multiple Life Sentences
Ronnie Lee Odom Convicted Of Sexually Assaulting 8 Boys

"A man was sentenced to multiple life terms in prison for what investigators said was one of the worst child sex abuse cases in their county. Ronnie Lee Odom, 40, was sentenced Thursday to three life terms in prison for sexually assaulting eight boys between the ages of 13 and 15.
Odom did not have a previous criminal history, but neighbors in the Old River area in Chambers County said they noticed how much attention he paid to boys.

"I'm talking a good 10 to 15 little boys that he was always going four-wheeler riding with, or mudding with, taking them to church and buying them things," said MV, who lived next door to Odom for 10 years.

Chambers County prosecutors said Odom lured the boys with money, liquor and *advertiser censored*. District Attorney Cheryl Lieck said he groomed the boys and built the equivalent of a human pyramid scheme.

"He used one boy to start bringing in other boys to gain their trust," Lieck said...."

and

"....Odom will never be eligible for parole..."

more at link (plus mug shot)

And an earlier article here with testimony from the victims:

http://baytownsun.com/.../article_061db7d0-3fe2-11e0-b30f-001cc4c03286.html

Let's all say those words together, "will never be eligible for parole". The man ruined/damaged/unhinged the lives of many many boys. He will NOT walk free. He WILL pay.

I often realize that I am far more forgiving than most. I wanted treatment for the young man who raped our children. That's what he was given. When he failed at the program, he was jailed for 10 years. I thought that was quite a long time. But each day of the those 10 years was filled with our family still fighting the battle--the appeal, the Supreme Court affirmation, the Post Conviction Relief Trial, the request for clemency, the necessity of changing laws pertaining to victims. Life got put on hold. Joy got put on hold. We raised our children with a cloud over their heads concerning a sexual abuse trial. What I have failed t recognize is that by being so accepting, our children's rapist walks free. Make no mistake, nothing our family did or chose made a difference. The State decided his fate. But a man walks free who completely upended eight victims and their parents and their six siblings. Not to mention extended family, teachers and friends. Not to mention the permanent damage and the lethal suicide attempts. After a full 13 years past the initial disclosures and untold hours of research, I'm beginning to see the light.

Short story is....you rape a child, you ruin a life; we have a bed for you.....for life.

Missizzy:

(((((((Hugs)))))))

This is a subscription only article but I really only need to read the one sentence anyway:

http://baytownsun.com/news/article_601bd472-422d-11e0-a8e6-001cc4c03286.html

".....Ronnie Lee Odom, on trial for alleged sex crimes against several young Chambers County boys contended he is the victim of a child conspiracy when he took the stand in his own defense Friday.

“Yes, sir, I really believe they plotted this,” Odom said under cross-examination Friday...."

more at link

I wish Mr. Odom would have done a little research first. Teen boys would plot this type of thing at about the same rate they'd choose to have a triple root canal without painkillers or an adult circumcision. Yeah, right.

I'm just feeling a little raw right now. I'm very pleased that the boys and teens were allowed to use pseudonyms, really I am. But we couldn't. News crews filmed our children walking into school. New reporters sat in the courtroom each day and reported on our children's most intimate abuses. Our family's story was well reported in the media. My husband and I responded as respectfully as we could. Everyone knew who the children were. We tried to tamp it down. But their names were always known. I'm very pleased that these boys were afforded some privacy but very hurt on my children's behalf.

Sometimes, it's just very hard.

Sometimes, it's just very hard.

Miss, I am so sorry. Rarely I call you plain old Miss.

If it helps any know you are a pillar of strength to many of us here. Also very informative. Thank you for that.:blowkiss:

If you want I'll do some cursing for ya.:p

This is a subscription only article but I really only need to read the one sentence anyway:

http://baytownsun.com/news/article_601bd472-422d-11e0-a8e6-001cc4c03286.html

".....Ronnie Lee Odom, on trial for alleged sex crimes against several young Chambers County boys contended he is the victim of a child conspiracy when he took the stand in his own defense Friday.

“Yes, sir, I really believe they plotted this,” Odom said under cross-examination Friday...."

more at link

I wish Mr. Odom would have done a little research first. Teen boys would plot this type of thing at about the same rate they'd choose to have a triple root canal without painkillers or an adult circumcision. Yeah, right.

Ain't that just classic?

Yup, they wanted nothing more than to plot against this creep and have to be subjected to such horrors. Otherwise all they'd be doing is playing ball, video games, and skating.

Just classic. He probably believes himself.

A little cursing by proxy sure wouldn't hurt a darned thing, Filly. There's been a few cases lately that have really really gotten to me. Bless those poor young teens. I hope they get the help they need.

A pillar? I don't want to be a pillar. I want to be a strobe light LOL.

I just figured out why some cases set me off. I should have known this but I had to really think about it. Each case is horrific and disgusting. But it's the grooming that does me in. It makes my skin crawl because I once observed it and didn't know what was happening. I was groomed as surely as my children--just in a different way. It's a sick and demented person who will spend the time grooming his/her victims and luring them into the trap...and then use mind games and threats to keep them silent.

I loathe grooming behavior. I loathe those who attempt to minimize and rationalize and deflect. And I really don't handle blaming the victims too well either.

4d6c8efb02c21.image.jpg

Hi, all. Came across websleuths while searching for coverage and discussions on this case. Other than another discussion site that I'm an old timer on this was the only one I found discussing it.

I served on the jury that convicted Ronnie Lee Odom. I'm glad that I served but it was a very emotional and heart-wrenching 6 day trial. I went into it, as any juror should, with the belief that he was innocent until proven guilty. With each day of testimony I would look at him with even more disdain.

Ronnie Lee Odom is well skilled in grooming just the right type of boys who are between the ages of 11 and 15. Providing ATV's, camping trips, going to the movies, anything a kid might want from a missing, uninvolved or otherwise preoccupied father or stepfather, he spent lots of time with them learning their weaknesses. But he also provided them with *advertiser censored* and alcohol. His thing was giving little boys oral sex. He'd tell them, "*advertiser censored*'s are what friends do for each another; gays take it in the *advertiser censored*." (Sorry about that but those were HIS words.) One of the boys who had been abused told his stepfather about it who in turn called him a liar! Fortunately one boy who had turned him down talked with his family and reported it to authorities. That's what got the ball rolling on this jerk! At his arrest Odom had been charged with 3 counts. He could not post bail and sat in jail for a year awaiting trial. During this wait there was eventually a total of 8 boys who came forth with their tales of abuse.

How did Odom manage to pull this off? The family groomed by Odom consisted of the stepfather, two boys of the mother (known in trial as Nathan [age 12 in the beginning] & David [age 14]), their mother and a girl of younger age who was a child of the couple. The stepfather had a family friend known to the 2 boys as Aunt ***** (can't remember her name) who lived by Odom. The boys would spend some weekends at her house where they would spend times down at the river riding their 4-wheelers. This is where Odom initially met Nathan while they were both out riding their ATV's. They would discuss ATV riding and Odom would fix any problems that Nathan had with his. This went on for a few months and the stepfather eventually became acquainted with Odom.

Odom was married with two kids. He and his wife eventually split up. At about the same time, the mother of the 2 boys and girl ran off with someone leaving the stepfather to care for all the kids. All while working 70 hours a week. Here was Odom's chance to get his foot in the door. Odom offered the stepfather $100 a week to live with them. The stepfather saw this as an opportunity to have another adult in the house while he put in long hours at work and accepted Odom's offer. Shortly after is when Odom took the brothers and a friend on a camping trip at a large ATV park. Odom was driving an ATV with Nathan as a passenger. It was back in the seclusion of the woods where Odom first assaulted Nathan, convincing him that it was OK for him (Odom) to give him a BJ. At a later time Odom convinced him that it was OK for Nathan to do give him a BJ. Eventually Nathan became so well groomed that he would convince other young boys that it was OK after they had initially turned Odom down. Believe it or not, back at the house he slept in the same bed with Nathan!

What we could not believe was that Odom took the stand on his own behalf. His entire defense was that the boys were scheming against him because his money was drying up and he cut them off from the entertainment that he provided. During his questioning one thing really stuck out to me - his use of the word WE. He used it a number of times. His answers reflected that he felt he was a part of this group of boys; not an adult giving guidance. When questioned about boys spending the night his answer was not, "When Nathan had friends stay over..." but rather, "When WE'D have friends stay over..."

After the trial 5 us from the jury spent about an hour discussing with the prosecuting attorney, the DA & asst. DA what couldn't be talked about until it was over. My first question was, "Is the state providing any counseling for these boys?" She said it was but was really pissed that some were not even taking advantage of it. Too much trouble to drive to Houston! That really PO'ed me, too. To say the least, many of these boys come from really dysfunctional families.

The oldest of the two brothers who the perp lived with came into court with his hand wrapped in paper towels, Scotch tape and bleeding. At the time we thought he had hit something in frustration before having to appear on the stand. After the trial the DA told us what really happened. Their mother's crackhead convict boyfriend had pulled a knife on them the evening before trying to get money out of them to get crack! Another case for her to be tried. When he took the stand the next day one could tell that he'd had medical care and his hand was nicely wrapped with a brace for support. The DA told us that it required 10 staples to close the wound. Why would his mother wait so long? We could tell that when their mother took the stand she was pretty strung out. Probably a crackhead, too. And to think she's home schooling the oldest of the two boys. Yeah, right!!!

Thanks for taking the time to read this long dissertation. There's actually a whole lot more that could be told about all the testimonies that were given. At least he's off the streets forever. The fines we accessed may seem trivial but owing it means that he'll never have anything for commissary. Any money going into his commissary fund will be pulled to cover those fines. If he wants that candy bar he'll have to earn it (if you know what I mean!). :bowdown: :behind: :eek:

Welcome to Websleuths, Even Stephen! And thank you for the information... I'm glad he was put away. I hope those kids get the help they need - to heal themselves but also to help prevent them becoming perps down the road.

Thanks, belimom. Sadly, as I mentioned before, many of the boys are not being given the help that is offered. Lazy parents who probably feel that it's too much of a burden on their daily lives. The only hope is that the state can & will step in on their behalf but I can't see that happening. Just hope it does.

Even Stephen--Welcome. Thank you so much for spending the time to lay out the facts for us. I doubt that any of the details surprise a single one of us, though. It seems that pedophiles all use the same "playbook". My heart goes out to those boys and young men as they have been abused and forever damaged by someone they trusted and also let down by a number of their families, it seems.

I'm a child advocate and mother of 14. Eight of our children were raped 12-13 years ago and the teen served ten years. His MO was exactly the same as Odum's, just with a little twist. Because the teen didn't have many friends, he seemed to gravitate to younger kids, and especially those with special needs. He was SO helpful and volunteered to help out at the school where his mother taught. Our eight children who were victims all have challenges and we lived next door. I'm sure the day we moved in must have seen like manna from heaven to this creep. He attempted to groom our healthy and higher functioning teen daughters but that didn't fly. He then moved on to the younger children, ages 7-12 (boys and girls), and used treats, money, horrific threats, animal abuse, and mind games to keep them quiet.

He'd been at this for quite some time, long before we even moved to the house it seems as two other children testified who'd lived in our house as a rental prior to us purchasing it. We were unbelievably protective of our children and this teen was what we called an "outside" friend. We thought that he had some special needs of his own and so we caved and let the kids play in the yard and over in his garage, exotic bird coop, and yard. Literally, right under our noses, he raped these children. And he raped at least one at school, in the restroom, as class was in session on the other side of the wall. The audacity and risk taking still floors me. I fully believe that pedophiles truly get off by doing this in "plain sight". I think it adds a thrill factor. Our children did get to access therapy but it hasn't been easy. We've had one go on to offend, one is now trafficked and we've dealt with many many suicide attempts. It's been a tough road. But we do have some incredible successes and I am tremendously proud to say that most have chosen to be survivors.

I'm so pleased that Odum has been sent away forever. Is there honestly and truly (can you tell I'm always a bit skeptical?) no chance of appeal? The appeals and PCR Trial really wore us down as they drug on for 10 years. Victims need the space and time to heal. They do NOT deserve to be drug into court again and again.

I'm curious about the word, "we", that Odum used. What's your take on that? Did you get the sense that he saw the boys as peers? Was there any testimony concerning any developmental disabilities which would put him at a lower emotional and/or sexual level? Or was it simply part of the grooming process and mind trip that he played on himself...the rationale that the boys wanted it? I'm also curious if any prior abuse came to light. I have a hard time believing that he just woke up in his 30s and decided to go and molest boys. I'm almost positive that this behavior reaches way back into his childhood. FBI statistics tell us that most pedophiles have offended at least 70 times prior to arrest. Those numbers just flatten me.

I'm very impressed that you've spoken out about these children needing treatment. Young victims who do not receive sufficient and timely treatment are far more likely to commit suicide, turn to drugs, and sadly, to offend. I would not stop speaking up concerning this issue as it could help prevent tragedy down the road. If any of the boys are interested, there is an amazing forum group here:

http://www.malesurvivor.org/

I can't recommend it highly enough for men who are victims and want to move toward the position of becoming a survivor. Your input might also be very much of interest on this site.

Once again, thank you so much for providing such insight. I'm sure this case will stay with you forever. Our society often forgets the pain and agony which juries endure.

Welcome.

4d6c8efb02c21.image.jpg

Hi, all. Came across websleuths while searching for coverage and discussions on this case. Other than another discussion site that I'm an old timer on this was the only one I found discussing it.

I served on the jury that convicted Ronnie Lee Odom. I'm glad that I served but it was a very emotional and heart-wrenching 6 day trial. I went into it, as any juror should, with the belief that he was innocent until proven guilty. With each day of testimony I would look at him with even more disdain.

Ronnie Lee Odom is well skilled in grooming just the right type of boys who are between the ages of 11 and 15. Providing ATV's, camping trips, going to the movies, anything a kid might want from a missing, uninvolved or otherwise preoccupied father or stepfather, he spent lots of time with them learning their weaknesses. But he also provided them with *advertiser censored* and alcohol. His thing was giving little boys oral sex. He'd tell them, "*advertiser censored*'s are what friends do for each another; gays take it in the *advertiser censored*." (Sorry about that but those were HIS words.) One of the boys who had been abused told his stepfather about it who in turn called him a liar! Fortunately one boy who had turned him down talked with his family and reported it to authorities. That's what got the ball rolling on this jerk! At his arrest Odom had been charged with 3 counts. He could not post bail and sat in jail for a year awaiting trial. During this wait there was eventually a total of 8 boys who came forth with their tales of abuse.

How did Odom manage to pull this off? The family groomed by Odom consisted of the stepfather, two boys of the mother (known in trial as Nathan [age 12 in the beginning] & David [age 14]), their mother and a girl of younger age who was a child of the couple. The stepfather had a family friend known to the 2 boys as Aunt ***** (can't remember her name) who lived by Odom. The boys would spend some weekends at her house where they would spend times down at the river riding their 4-wheelers. This is where Odom initially met Nathan while they were both out riding their ATV's. They would discuss ATV riding and Odom would fix any problems that Nathan had with his. This went on for a few months and the stepfather eventually became acquainted with Odom.

Odom was married with two kids. He and his wife eventually split up. At about the same time, the mother of the 2 boys and girl ran off with someone leaving the stepfather to care for all the kids. All while working 70 hours a week. Here was Odom's chance to get his foot in the door. Odom offered the stepfather $100 a week to live with them. The stepfather saw this as an opportunity to have another adult in the house while he put in long hours at work and accepted Odom's offer. Shortly after is when Odom took the brothers and a friend on a camping trip at a large ATV park. Odom was driving an ATV with Nathan as a passenger. It was back in the seclusion of the woods where Odom first assaulted Nathan, convincing him that it was OK for him (Odom) to give him a BJ. At a later time Odom convinced him that it was OK for Nathan to do give him a BJ. Eventually Nathan became so well groomed that he would convince other young boys that it was OK after they had initially turned Odom down. Believe it or not, back at the house he slept in the same bed with Nathan!

What we could not believe was that Odom took the stand on his own behalf. His entire defense was that the boys were scheming against him because his money was drying up and he cut them off from the entertainment that he provided. During his questioning one thing really stuck out to me - his use of the word WE. He used it a number of times. His answers reflected that he felt he was a part of this group of boys; not an adult giving guidance. When questioned about boys spending the night his answer was not, "When Nathan had friends stay over..." but rather, "When WE'D have friends stay over..."

After the trial 5 us from the jury spent about an hour discussing with the prosecuting attorney, the DA & asst. DA what couldn't be talked about until it was over. My first question was, "Is the state providing any counseling for these boys?" She said it was but was really pissed that some were not even taking advantage of it. Too much trouble to drive to Houston! That really PO'ed me, too. To say the least, many of these boys come from really dysfunctional families.

The oldest of the two brothers who the perp lived with came into court with his hand wrapped in paper towels, Scotch tape and bleeding. At the time we thought he had hit something in frustration before having to appear on the stand. After the trial the DA told us what really happened. Their mother's crackhead convict boyfriend had pulled a knife on them the evening before trying to get money out of them to get crack! Another case for her to be tried. When he took the stand the next day one could tell that he'd had medical care and his hand was nicely wrapped with a brace for support. The DA told us that it required 10 staples to close the wound. Why would his mother wait so long? We could tell that when their mother took the stand she was pretty strung out. Probably a crackhead, too. And to think she's home schooling the oldest of the two boys. Yeah, right!!!

Thanks for taking the time to read this long dissertation. There's actually a whole lot more that could be told about all the testimonies that were given. At least he's off the streets forever. The fines we accessed may seem trivial but owing it means that he'll never have anything for commissary. Any money going into his commissary fund will be pulled to cover those fines. If he wants that candy bar he'll have to earn it (if you know what I mean!). :bowdown: :behind: :eek:
I am the mother of those two boys and their stepdad and I was going thru a divorce I didn't just run off. And my sons hand was taken care of in the emergency room in anahuac before we got to court. We was in there all night. I was not strung out. I was a bartender and a very stressed out mother trying to get away from the crackheaded boyfriend that was beating me and trying to kill me .

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shmoozie
Back