OR OR - Margaret Kohler, 53, Waldport, 19 Feb 2011

summer_breeze

Reaction score
http://kezi.com/news/local/206152

March 4, 2011

WALDPORT, Ore. -- The Lincoln County Sheriff's Office continues to look for a woman who went missing after taking her dog for a walk.

Margaret Mary Kohler, 53, left her home on February 19, at around noon to take her dog walking around Cape Perpetua, in the Siuslaw National Forest south of Yachats. On the evening of February 20, an acquaintance of Kohler called the Lincoln County Communications Center and reported that Kohler had not returned home. Deputies were notified to be on the look-out for Kohler around the area.

On March 3, the USFS Law Enforcement found Kohler's 2003 maroon Toyota minivan on USFS Road 1051, located in the Siuslaw National Forest in the Cummins Ridge Trail area. Lincoln County Search and Reuse assisted the USFS and Lane County officials in an effort to find Kohler. A search team continues to conduct a ground search of the Cummins Ridge Trail area, which is on the Lane County side of the Siuslaw National Forest.

Kohler is around 5'7, approximately 300 lbs., with collar length brown hair and blue eyes. Her dog is a light brown, five-year-old lab/collie mix with blue eyes, and is named "Rosco." If you have seen Kohler or know her exact whereabouts, contact LinCom at (541) 265-4231.

margaret-kohler.jpg

http://www.registerguard.com/web/updates/25964718-55/forest-kohler-missing-officials-search.html.csp

Authorities find the van of a Waldport woman who has been missing since Feb. 20
Published: Saturday, Mar 5, 2011 05:00AM

YACHATS — A search continued Friday for a missing Waldport woman whose unoccupied minivan was found earlier in the week along a U.S. Forest Service road southeast of Cape Perpetua in the Siuslaw National Forest.

The wo*man, Margaret Mary Kohler, 53, was reported missing on Feb. 20, one day after she apparently left her home to take her dog walking in the Cape Perpetua area, Lincoln County sheriff’s officials said.

So there are two things that come to mind in this search for Margaret and her dog. First of all there is an active manhunt in Waldport, a few miles north of Cape Perpetua, what if he is hiding out in the park? Maybe she came upon him. Also I have hiked extensively in this state park. It is wonderful with old growth trees, but it slopes up from the ocean and has slick trails. They are moderate trails with a total of 1500 ft ascent. Steep in places. I think about a woman 300lbs may not have the reflexes to catch herself should she slip on these trails. I was always very careful while hiking there as the trails are very damp and slippery. Also, I couldn't find anywhere exactly where her car was found on 1051. If she hiked down and then went down to devil's churn. That is very precarious, slippery and should she have gone after her dog by the water, well that would be fatal for both of them. She could have gone down to the water, in that direction and the waves can get pretty strong, so again, if her dog went to swim or something and she tried to go after him......

Email sent to the Lincoln County Sheriff's Office. Will post if I hear anything back.

Hi Everyone,

Just wanted to say thanks for posting all this for a total stranger. I am her son and what you see on here is just about all we know. We've long since presumed she died because she was not in the best of health and had an inclination to go hiking and adventuring on strenuous trails. Reportedly, she had been hunting for truffles or other wild mushrooms to eat.

I want to thank the Lincoln County Sheriff's Office as well as the local Boy Scouts and a number of other volunteers who participated in the search for her. Snowy and cold weather conditions hampered the search, but the volunteers kept at it for 5 or 6 weeks.

If anyone should find anything or have information, please reach out to me on this message board/forum. I have it tied to my primary email address and it will be checked periodically.

Michael M

P.S. - Recently, we visited and left a small marker on the trail (attached). We also arranged Prayers of Intention at the Sacred Heart Catholic Church of Newport, Oregon on June 10th, 2018. Please pray for her soul's safe passage and safe keeping in Christ's custody.

Attachments

• DSC_0486 resized.jpg
    DSC_0486 resized.jpg
    162.6 KB · Views: 5
It might be a long shot, but I submitted Margaret as a potential match for Jane Doe 1683UFOR - found in Florence, OR, on August 18, 2013. Although there is a 24 mile distance between where Margaret's car was found and where Jane Doe was found in Florence, I thought the location and timing was a good match.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shmoozie
Back