855 users online (112 members and 743 guests)  

The Killing Season - Websleuths

Websleuths News

17th century witch chronicles put online

LONDON (Reuters) A 350-year-old notebook which documents the trials of women convicted of witchcraft in England during the 17th century has been published online.

The notebook written by Nehemiah Wallington, an English Puritan, recounts the fate of women accused of having relationships with the devil at a time when England was embroiled in a bitter civil war.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20110304/...lings_notebook

Follow me on the Twitter! @EricDiesel1972

Deuteronomy 18:10-12 (KJV)

10 There shall not be found among you anyone who makes his son or his daughter pass through the fire, or one who practices witchcraft, or a soothsayer, or one who interprets omens, or a sorcerer, 11 or one who conjures spells, or a medium, or a spiritist, or one who calls up the dead. 12 For all who do these things are an abomination to the Lord. (KJV)

Follow me at my Biblical Blog: http://scripture-demystified.blogspot.com

Baruch ha Shem Adonai.

1645 was the year that so-called "Witchfinder General" Matthew Hopkins began his infamous but mercifully brief reign of terror. He served as an assistant at the Chelmsford trials.

I don't think I'd be able to read them because it is so sickening that something like that was done, and was later done in this country in the name of religion. It's always seemed to me that another big reason was just wanting the "witches'" property by killing them.

I wonder how carefully this document has been scrutinized?
    It sounds a bit like the 'Hitler Diary' and the Jack The Ripper Diary' hoaxes to me.

Being from the UK (DH as well), I'll have to give it a read. Hubby is still enthralled with JTR after all these years.

Thanks, DK.

Mel

Quote Originally Posted by mgardner View Post
    Being from the UK (DH as well), I'll have to give it a read. Hubby is still enthralled with JTR after all these years.

Thanks, DK.

Mel
    Hehehe, so am I. Do we have a thread on him?