17th century witch chronicles put online

Dark Knight

Reaction score
LONDON (Reuters) – A 350-year-old notebook which documents the trials of women convicted of witchcraft in England during the 17th century has been published online.

The notebook written by Nehemiah Wallington, an English Puritan, recounts the fate of women accused of having relationships with the devil at a time when England was embroiled in a bitter civil war.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20110304/od_nm/us_witch_killings_notebook

1645 was the year that so-called "Witchfinder General" Matthew Hopkins began his infamous but mercifully brief reign of terror. He served as an assistant at the Chelmsford trials.

I don't think I'd be able to read them because it is so sickening that something like that was done, and was later done in this country in the name of religion. It's always seemed to me that another big reason was just wanting the "witches'" property by killing them.

I wonder how carefully this document has been scrutinized?
It sounds a bit like the 'Hitler Diary' and the Jack The Ripper Diary' hoaxes to me.

Being from the UK (DH as well), I'll have to give it a read. Hubby is still enthralled with JTR after all these years.

Thanks, DK.

Mel

Being from the UK (DH as well), I'll have to give it a read. Hubby is still enthralled with JTR after all these years.

Thanks, DK.

Mel

Hehehe, so am I. Do we have a thread on him?

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Robbi708
Back