1118 users online (221 members and 897 guests)  

Websleuths News

OK - Hmong dad brutally beaten for running over dog

Family: Father brutally beaten for running over dog
    A man received a brutal beating that left him in the hospital with shattered bones after he accidentally ran over a dog in Vinita, his family members said.

Neng Yang was driving to a family farm when he ran over a dog and was confronted by the owner.

The last thing he remembered was the owner yelling at him and then hitting him once in the head, said Yang's daughter Pashia Yang.

Yang is currently in the hospital since the beating on Tuesday and was only able to communicate well about the incident on Thursday, she said.
    ---
    The man who allegedly beat him then forced Yang to shake his hand, let him leave and told him not to do anything stupid, Yang's daughter said.
    ---
    Stephen Vang, public relations liaison for Hmong American Association of Oklahoma, said he thought the beating approached a hate crime because of the severity of the attack on Yang, who is Hmong.

Vang said although there weren't obvious signs indicative of a hate crime, if Yang wasn't Hmong, he wouldn't have been subjected to that much brutality.
    ---
    Craig County Sheriff's Department Undersheriff B.J. Floyd confirmed officers were investigating the incident but would not comment until the investigation was complete.

Floyd indicated that assault charges were possible but could not speculate until the investigation was handed over to the Craig County District Attorney's Office.
    ---
    much more, including pictures of the victim, at Tulsa World link above.

While no charges have yet been filed, I posted this in Crimes in the News.
    We shall see if Oklahoma authorities agree that charges do need to be filed.

honestly if someone ran over our dog, i think that my wife would beat them as well. that's like running over a child to us. (although my wife be more brutal than me

i've never hit an animal. neither has she. people shouldn't drive so fast that they don't have good response time in case they need to stop.

as for yang to pull the race card, that's inane and ridiculous. obviously some people love their pets like children. if someone hit your child, i think a lot of mothers would need to be restrained from hurting that person.

yang blacked out and mentions nothing of anyone calling him hate names. sounds like another way to make money or charges stick. agh!

IMO, people who allow their dogs to be in the street are the ones responsible if their dogs get run over. I feel exactly the same way about children who are in the street. The street is for vehicles; it's not an extension of your yard or a public playground or dog run. People can't expect drivers to be hyper-vigilant and drive under the speed limit, when they themselves can't be bothered to watch out for their charges themselves. Avoiding a dog or child darting out into the street is almost impossible.

I have no idea if this beating was a hate crime. I suspect that it was, but it could also have been a result of the dog owner's high emotions and displacement of his own guilt.

My Dad, at 43 yrs old.... Decided he needed to ride a motorcycle again... And on his second week, driving home from work, a german shepard darted in front of him.

He was going about 20 mph, and after a "lets dance" routine between dog and him lol, he ran over the poor thing. Dog was wedged under the bike, and dad threw his legs down to stabilize so as not to drop the bike, and fall himself. Well the owners came out running, dad was freaked for a second....

And he tried to get off the bike to move and get the dog out, and realized in his adrenaline induced stop, he shoved 2 femurs into his hips His core body balance was keeping him upright on the bike, but he couldn't move anything else.

Those owners helped dad off, and called 911, and even kept his bike safe in their garage until he got out of the hospital. And then apologized profusely for what happened.

They knew their dog should not have been running out in the road.

( BTW, The dog was ok, just bruising)

I am fully aware that accidents happen, and pets are loved as much as children in many homes, however, if you are a true good compassionate person, who loves animals and people alike.... You can understand an accident. It is emotional, but still, acting like a raging lunatic will not solve the issue!

Now if this person was speeding, and swerving, and hit a dog on the sidewalk, I could understand a strong reaction, but in the road? Really? It was an accident!

I think both sides are out of line, unless I see more proof that this happened because of race, I believe someone acted out of rage, and it should not have happened! Accidents happen all the time.

Prayers for his recovery.

WoW .... prayers for this man and his family. I am not certain why the man who beat him is not in jail right now, dog or not you do not beat someone like this...
    What lies behind you and what lies in front of you pales in comparison to what lies inside of you....
    Ralph Waldo Emerson ~

I am surprised that there has not been an assault charge. I'm not sure this is a hate crime based on anyone's "race." It does sound to me like a crime though.
    When my dog was hit by a car, my first response was NOT to beat the guy! It was to get to my dog! So who knows what this guys motivation was to become violent? I think the story will come out with more information. I hope the victim gets better soon!
    The best advice I give to my children: Tell the truth - whether you like it or not.

Quote Originally Posted by STEADFAST View Post
    IMO, people who allow their dogs to be in the street are the ones responsible if their dogs get run over. I feel exactly the same way about children who are in the street. The street is for vehicles; it's not an extension of your yard or a public playground or dog run. People can't expect drivers to be hyper-vigilant and drive under the speed limit, when they themselves can't be bothered to watch out for their charges themselves. Avoiding a dog or child darting out into the street is almost impossible.

I have no idea if this beating was a hate crime. I suspect that it was, but it could also have been a result of the dog owner's high emotions and displacement of his own guilt.
    i'm curious to what makes you suspect this is a hate crime? the man was passed out so he couldn't hear them yelling any racist comments, nor has he claimed they had said anything racial.

is it possible that the dog's owner was already having a bad day, maybe a bad month or year, coupled with a bad temper, etc possible alcoholism, and this all was a combination of disaster the dog being hit being the straw that broke the camel's back and thus the owner beating up the man who hit his dog?
    these random things happen in life.

we have never let our dog off her leash or let our cats outside, as we understand that these things happen. my wife is over paranoid about it. so i do agree with you that people should keep their dogs leashed and inside their yards.

at this point in time the only person who is calling it a hate crime is yang's lawyer and that says a lot. his lawyer is probably just thinking about money. the lawyer, vang (not yang) even claims that there are no signs indicating a hate crime. the lawyer seems to contradict himself.

"Stephen Vang, public relations liaison for Hmong American Association of Oklahoma, said he thought the beating approached a hate crime because of the severity of the attack on Yang, who is Hmong.

Vang said although there weren't obvious signs indicative of a hate crime, if Yang wasn't Hmong, he wouldn't have been subjected to that much brutality."

Read more from this Tulsa World article at http://www.tulsaworld.com/webextra/c...0_ULNSbY113455

yang's daughter said yang said the last thing he remembered was the man yelling at him and hit him in the head. no one specified racist terms were used. i would guess the man was cursing or just "yelling" in general. sounds like a loose cannon.

who is vang? does that article mean yang or his lawyer?

to say that if yang wasn't hmong he wouldn't be subjected to that much brutality <modsnip> based on what logic?
    Last edited by believe09; 03-09-2011 at 01:20 PM. Reason: confusion

Our dog got loose 1 morning the kids left the door standing open. She saw a squirrel and just darted across the road. A lady on her way to work at our elementary school hit her.

The poor lady was soo shook up. After making sure the dog was stable I gave the lady a hug and gave her my # and told her to call if there was any damage to her vehicle or if she wanted to check on our dog because she kept sobbing I love animals!! I felt so bad for her!!
    Our doggie needed some staples and stitches but was otherwise ok. I still feel bad as it's our job to protect our pets and our children.

How i reacted is how anyone should react if their dog is in the road and gets hit.
    The kids also learned a lesson that day too. No amt of me saying Shut the door so the dog and kitty don't get out did what seeing the after affects to our doggy did. It's been several years and the older ones still remember and never leave the door open.

Quote Originally Posted by peeples View Post
    Our dog got loose 1 morning the kids left the door standing open. She saw a squirrel and just darted across the road. A lady on her way to work at our elementary school hit her.

The poor lady was soo shook up. After making sure the dog was stable I gave the lady a hug and gave her my # and told her to call if there was any damage to her vehicle or if she wanted to check on our dog because she kept sobbing I love animals!! I felt so bad for her!!
    Our doggie needed some staples and stitches but was otherwise ok. I still feel bad as it's our job to protect our pets and our children.

How i reacted is how anyone should react if their dog is in the road and gets hit.
    The kids also learned a lesson that day too. No amt of me saying Shut the door so the dog and kitty don't get out did what seeing the after affects to our doggy did. It's been several years and the older ones still remember and never leave the door open.
    thank god your dog turned out okay! when i was 10 i was riding my bike with a couple friends and saw a dog get hit by a car and i nearly lost my dinner and it haunted me a long while.

how the owner reacted towards you is very nice. the owners of the dog that got hit that i witnessed, had ran and carried it back towards their house with a blanket. they were all crying, even a lady who stopped and didn't hit it was crying.

i'd say the normal reaction would be what you encountered. almost always it's an accidental thing.

i think the guy is just a loose cannon in general, was looking for a fight and found one.

In case anyone is wondering, my reason for believing that it's likely this was a hate crime is twofold. One, I am very familiar with the area and culture around Vinita, OK, and "diversity" of any kind is more than unwelcome, as a general rule. Two, do we have evidence that the perp was known to be a hot-head, who habitually or even occasionally beats people almost to death? If not, then it's likely that some strong emotion besides sudden anger -- something like built up resentment and hate -- caused him to act in the brutal way he did.

Now, for all we know, the perp is a tolerant fellow whose love for his dog was so great it made him snap suddenly (though not great enough to keep his dog out of the road) or possibly he's a serial assaulter, who assaults all races and creeds alike. But we don't know at this point, and I, personally, think it's likely that racial hate fueled this crime. Not that I think it could be proven.

Arrest made in Craig County beating incident
    VINITA - A Vinita man was arrested Thursday on allegations that he severely beat another man who had run over his dog.

Scott Osborn, 29, was booked into the Craig County Jail on one complaint of aggravated assault and battery for allegedly beating Neng Yang.
    ---
    The last thing Pashia Yang said her father remembered was Osborn yelling at him and hitting him in the head.

Osborn told the Tulsa World Monday that he confronted Neng Yang to get insurance information to pay for the dog but that Yang put his hands up as if he was going to hit him.

“When I hit him, he went flying and hit the door and hit the ground,” he said.
    ---
    the rest, w/picture of the accused, at link above

Quote Originally Posted by wfgodot View Post
    Arrest made in Craig County beating incident

the rest, w/picture of the accused, at link above
    I enjoyed reading the comments after the article at the link.

Good grief, even w/o seeing a picture of Mr. Yang, i suspect he is somewhat petite---Osborn looks like he probably would outweigh him by about 100 lbs. And he's claiming self-defense?