GUILTY PA - Joseph, 70, Susan, 64, & James McAndrew, 23, slain, Upper Merion, 5 March 2011

Filly

KICKING AND SHINING
Reaction score
Joseph McAndrew, Jr. aged 23 of Montgomery County was found by police in his driveway covered in blood.

Inside the home his twin brother and his parents were found murdered from lacerations and cuts. A sword was found at the scene.

How very, very sad.

http://www.nbcphiladelphia.com/news/local/117493828.html

Joseph McAndrew, Jr. aged 23 of Montgomery County was found by police in his driveway covered in blood.

Inside the home his twin brother and his parents were found murdered from lacerations and cuts. A sword was found at the scene.

How very, very sad.

http://www.nbcphiladelphia.com/news/local/117493828.html

This is horrible. Have there been any details released yet as to what caused him to do this? The manner in which he did it is just so full of hatred and rage. I am really interested in knowing WHY.

It just doesn't stop...one incredibly shocking crime after another.

Words are failing me when I read these stories. Prayers are all I have left.

When asked what happened McAndrew said exterminated. When asked who did it he said "person named attacker". When asked who the people were that were murdered he replied "person named mother", "person named father", and "person named brother".

http://www.reuters.com/article/2011/03/07/us-crime-triplehomicide-idUSTRE72653420110307

The person who was supposedly renting a room in the house is the one that alerted police. That man came and got his belongings and packed them into a car with Ohio license plates. Gotta wonder how that man feels, and who he is.

So very sad. I have no doubt this young man's family tried to get him help.

What is up with murdering your parent with a samurai sword? We read this all the time. People with a history if mental illness murdering with a samurai sword. My heart aches for this poor family. That's unimaginable.

O/T I found a link to Linked. could almost say positively that it's this young man. I wonder if he ever attended CCP? I know it says he never attended a college, but maybe he went to CCP? It's a few years old. Maybe he suffered more recently?

RIP McAndrew family.

i'm guessing the man who rented the room in that house was named "craig" and that the mother was yelling to him to call 911.
how did craig escape this massacre? why did he not jump in to help the family defend themselves against the son? would he be physically capable of helping in defense?

"Craig Noce, a tenant at the family’s house, reported hearing commotion in the residence about 6:53 p.m. Saturday, then heard Susan McAndrew yelling “Craig call 9-1-1.” After the sound of breaking and a loud crash, an eerie quiet followed. Noce called for police."
http://timesherald.com/articles/2011/03/07/news/doc4d7518390f382790918350.txt?viewmode=2

i don't want to make the tenant feel guilty, however i would have tried to help and overpower the brother, it may have made a difference. then again if craig is older or not physically capable he couldn't have...

i'm guessing the man who rented the room in that house was named "craig" and that the mother was yelling to him to call 911.
how did craig escape this massacre? why did he not jump in to help the family defend themselves against the son? would he be physically capable of helping in defense?

"Craig Noce, a tenant at the family’s house, reported hearing commotion in the residence about 6:53 p.m. Saturday, then heard Susan McAndrew yelling “Craig call 9-1-1.” After the sound of breaking and a loud crash, an eerie quiet followed. Noce called for police."
http://timesherald.com/articles/2011/03/07/news/doc4d7518390f382790918350.txt?viewmode=2

i don't want to make the tenant feel guilty, however i would have tried to help and overpower the brother, it may have made a difference. then again if craig is older or not physically capable he couldn't have...

I think he did the right thing. No need for there to be another senseless death.

A man swinging a sword in a murderous way is not someone who needs to be approached close up or try to take it away from the one who is swinging it, imo. It is a formidable extremely lethal weapon. Imo, he would have murdered Craig too if he had come into close contact with him.

IMO

Swords and mentally ill young men. It does seem to be a oft-seen theme. Twenty-three is a prime age for mental illness onset and the onset often involves grandiosity, violence and rage. Young males have always seemed interested in knives, swords and all things sharp. I think when you put the two together, a tragedy such as this ensues. Bless that young man's heart for trying to help and calling 911. The attacker could have moved on to other victims.

Prayers for this family and yes, for the attacker too. I don't believe he truly knew what he was doing. I'm sure Filly is right about the family trying to get help. It's almost impossible to access right now. Callers are told that harm has to be imminent to access services. By, that time, IMO, it's too late. And the vast majority of mentally ill people are highly decent-looking and acting people--when they are on their appropriate meds.

I think he did the right thing. No need for there to be another senseless death.

A man swinging a sword in a murderous way is not someone who needs to be approached close up or try to take it away from the one who is swinging it, imo. It is a formidable extremely lethal weapon. Imo, he would have murdered Craig too if he had come into close contact with him.

IMO

Although I completely and totally agree with you, I think *I* would have tried to do something more... what?, I don't know.

"Broken Brother"

http://www.philly.com/philly/news/117568003.html?cmpid=15585797

A friend of James McAndrew who attended Penn State with him said his friend thoroughly loved and appreciated what his parents had done for him. He said James would often make the more than three hour drive home from Penn State to spend time with his family. ***I personally felt that he was almost over attached to his family and this would potentially hurt his future, BUT given the state of his brother this makes more sense to me now.***.

Just another example of how people just have no flippin idea of what is going on in others lives. You just don't know. It's so immensely sad that mental illness still carries such a stigma. It's also immensely sad that there's not always enough help out there. If there is often people don't know how to obtain it.

Everybody is facing their own personal war out there is how I try and see life. Everyone has their own he*l. Just because they aren't out there yapping about it does not mean it does not exist. I'd be a hypocritical fool if I said I can live by that every single day, but it's a start to know people are suffering.

This is all so tragic .

The difference being another dead person. Unless that guy had a loaded firearm and was prepared to use it correctly I don't think he'd have stood a chance.

They believe from the description of the sword it's a Japanese Tanto sword. Sharp, sharp, sharp. 18 inches long. A mentally ill young man most likely with dellusions.

Chemcopout I think it is human nature that makes us believe/hope/want to help or think we'd want to. That's how my grandfather was murdered by a sawed off shotgun trying to help a woman.

Swords and mentally ill young men. It does seem to be a oft-seen theme. Twenty-three is a prime age for mental illness onset and the onset often involves grandiosity, violence and rage. Young males have always seemed interested in knives, swords and all things sharp. I think when you put the two together, a tragedy such as this ensues. Bless that young man's heart for trying to help and calling 911. The attacker could have moved on to other victims.

Prayers for this family and yes, for the attacker too. I don't believe he truly knew what he was doing. I'm sure Filly is right about the family trying to get help. It's almost impossible to access right now. Callers are told that harm has to be imminent to access services. By, that time, IMO, it's too late. And the vast majority of mentally ill people are highly decent-looking and acting people--when they are on their appropriate meds.

Per our crackerjack Daily News:

Some other sword slayings:

In November actor Michael Brea murdered his mother with a samurai sword.

In June Stephen Clancy Hill the *advertiser censored* actor allegedly murdered one of his co-workers and injured two others with a "samurai style sword".

July 2008, James Jones of Ridley Township, PA used a "samurai style" sword to to murder his family's dog.

In 2003 in Bensalem, PA Robert Corsaro, Jr. murdered his father with a 3 foot samurai sword. Corsaro who was drug addicted was convicted of manslaughter.

On top of this little paragraph our Daily News put a "For support call the Mental Health Association of Southeastern PA." They included the phone number.

Apparently you can purchase a Tanto sword at gun shows or at Kendo martial arts clubs. Either way they are deadly.

The difference being another dead person. Unless that guy had a loaded firearm and was prepared to use it correctly I don't think he'd have stood a chance.

They believe from the description of the sword it's a Japanese Tanto sword. Sharp, sharp, sharp. 18 inches long. A mentally ill young man most likely with dellusions.

Chemcopout I think it is human nature that makes us believe/hope/want to help or think we'd want to. That's how my grandfather was murdered by a sawed off shotgun trying to help a woman.

Filly, I agree 100%. When I was in high school, my father quit going to his weekly bridge games because one of his bridge partners had filed for divorce from her mentally troubled husband, and the estranged husband was making vague threats about getting back at her friends from bridge for "talking her into it." I remember being all 17-year old feisty and telling my father, "Who is he to scare you away from playing bridge? You can't let some bully keep you from your hobbies! It's not fair!!! You should go to that bridge game just to show him!" (Granted, I probably just wanted my dad out of the house so I could sneak out and party, but still...) Anyway, to this day I remember my father telling me, "Crazy and possibly armed is a combo that you never want to get involved with. Never." Now, my father is built like a tank, has past careers in the military and law enforcement, and kept plenty of guns in the house. (And he also always told me, "If someone is trying to break in, kill him while he's still in the yard. And then call me so I can help you drag the body through the window, so it looks like you were in imminent danger. And then call the police.) So he certainly wasn't one to be afraid or to back down in most situations. But I've always, always remembered his advice of "Crazy and weapons? Do not get involved. Period."

I'd like to think that I'd jump in to help. But the few times that I've honestly thought, for a few heart-stopping moments, that I was genuinely in danger (someone trying the doorknob in the middle of the night, husband surprising me in the shower when I didn't hear him come in, etc.), my reaction--every single time--has been to just freeze solid and stop breathing, like I'm hoping the bad guy won't know I'm there, and will just go away. I can't help it--in my mind, I'd be a hero, but in reality, I'm a rabbit, every time. (Of course, it's a different story if I'm angry, because then I will wade right in without a second thought. If heaven forbid I am ever in a situation like this, I just hope that the perpetrator pisses me off by, I don't know, insulting my shoes or something, because that will snap me out of rabbit mode and into redneck woman in a barfight mode in record time.)

Now, my father is built like a tank, has past careers in the military and law enforcement, and kept plenty of guns in the house. (And he also always told me, "If someone is trying to break in, kill him while he's still in the yard. And then call me so I can help you drag the body through the window, so it looks like you were in imminent danger. And then call the police.) So he certainly wasn't one to be afraid or to back down in most situations.

Mouse, are you my sister from the same Mister?:D Twin dad's.Military, Law Enforcement, and if you're going to shoot you better be ready to kill anyone with nary a toe in the door. Oh wait my dad wasn't built big. :crazy: However my grandpop was. A very big man with a booming voice and a bigger heart. Sadly jumpy kids with sawed off shotguns get shocked when a big man comes to the aid of a lady.

From as long as I can recall I was taught to call 911. You don't help anyone. You call the cops. No doubt that horrific murder which stole a husband and father from his family dictated that.

It really breaks my heart for this family. I wish they could have gotten their son help somehow. Better help. Any help. Mental Health Care is so hard to get.

Oh yeah Miss Redneck lady in a barfight. I wouldn't fight ya.;):D

I'm glad the tenant didn't try to save the family because I doubt if he would have been successful. I am however glad that they have an eyewitness that will clinch the deal on a solid conviction. It's easy to say you would have done this if it were you, but in reality how could you approach a frenzied person with a Samaria sword? I'm glad we have a LIVE witness.

Per our crackerjack Daily News:

Some other sword slayings:

In November actor Michael Brea murdered his mother with a samurai sword.

In June Stephen Clancy Hill the *advertiser censored* actor allegedly murdered one of his co-workers and injured two others with a "samurai style sword".

July 2008, James Jones of Ridley Township, PA used a "samurai style" sword to to murder his family's dog.

In 2003 in Bensalem, PA Robert Corsaro, Jr. murdered his father with a 3 foot samurai sword. Corsaro who was drug addicted was convicted of manslaughter.

On top of this little paragraph our Daily News put a "For support call the Mental Health Association of Southeastern PA." They included the phone number.

Apparently you can purchase a Tanto sword at gun shows or at Kendo martial arts clubs. Either way they are deadly.

You can pretty much purchase a sword of any kind from anywhere. Even Mall stores have them. They are quite popular. I know wives that have bought a special kind of sword for their spouses. Lots of collectors out there who collects different types of swords.

While we do see a sword being used as a murder weapon it is still extremely rare when it comes to the weapon of choice by the perpetrator. Most prefer guns or knives.

IMO

I'm glad the tenant didn't try to save the family because I doubt if he would have been successful. I am however glad that they have an eyewitness that will clinch the deal on a solid conviction. It's easy to say you would have done this if it were you, but in reality how could you approach a frenzied person with a Samaria sword? I'm glad we have a LIVE witness.

I totally agree with this.

We all would like to think we would become some type of superhuman hero in times like this but the mind senses extreme danger and is geared more to self preservation.

It would have been foolish for the tenant to rush this deranged man when he had nothing but his own strength to try and overcome him. He had to know one swing of that very sharp sword could leave him mortally wounded or worse.

Imo he did the right thing.

IMO

IMO

i wasn't saying he did the wrong thing.

what i was saying was if he was physically able to help (rather i was in his shoes) i'd have tried to help. his twin brother showed a lot of defensive wounds. possibly another person could have helped.

on the contrary when one is in a psychotic rage, it may take 8 or more people to hold them down.

it's obvious this was not a premeditated murder. a murderer with logic would take out his twin brother first, as he would present the largest threat. this guy didn't do that. his reasons may be something delusional if he is mentally ill.

i'm glad the tenant didn't try to save the family because i doubt if he would have been successful. I am however glad that they have an eyewitness that will clinch the deal on a solid conviction. It's easy to say you would have done this if it were you, but in reality how could you approach a frenzied person with a samaria sword? I'm glad we have a live witness.

a tazer.
obviously i doubt "talking him down" would have worked

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
legalpyro74