TX - 21 arrests in gang rapes of 11yo girl, Cleveland, 2010

wfgodot

Former Member
Reaction score
At least 18 charged in alleged gang rape of Texas girl
(CNN) -- Thirteen adults and five juveniles have been arrested as part of an investigation into the alleged rape of a Texas girl, police said.

Darrell Broussard, assistant police chief for the Cleveland, Texas, Police Department, said Monday that the investigation into the incident "is continuous," with more significant developments possible. Cleveland is about 50 miles northeast of Houston.

"There have been leads during our investigation that have alerted us to other possible persons of interest," Broussard said. "The investigation is ongoing."

The assistant chief said that the 18 individuals charged thus far are between 14 and 27 years old.
---

CLEVELAND, Texas – Four more Cleveland ISD students were arrested Friday in connection with the alleged gang rape of an 11-year-old middle school student, district officials said.

The four new suspects bring the total number of arrests in the case to 15.

A district spokesperson said the students will face charges of aggravated sexual assault of a child, a first-degree felony.

Their names have not been released, because Cleveland police said the suspects are minors.

Investigators say the incident occurred over the Thanksgiving holiday in an abandoned mobile home in Cleveland.

The girl reported the alleged assault to her principal’s office in early December. She told school officials she was raped by as many as 20 men and boys.
---

http://www.khou.com/home/4-more-Cle...d-in-alleged-gang-rape-of-girl-117435633.html

more at the links above

Houston Chronicle story: Girl's sex assault rocks Cleveland

HORRIBLE!
What I find appalling is that she told and then they turned around and pulled her form her home and put her in foster care.....
Where statistically she'll likely to be abused further :( :(
It sates they are not worried about just the girls safety but that of the entire family so why not put the whole family in protective custody????

God help that family and that little girl :(

CPS leaves kids in need in bad homes and takes kids out of good homes to protect the family???something wrong here!

The Houston Chronicle article in the first post is a disturbing must-read.

Inside a Trailer
---
The assaults happened Nov. 28 after a 19-year-old with prior drug convictions persuaded the young girl to leave her house and go "riding around" with him and two other young men, according to a Cleveland police officer's sworn statement.

They first went to the blue house, where she was ordered to disrobe. If she refused, the statement said, she was warned other girls would beat her up and she would never get a ride back home.

Soon she was having sex with multiple young men there, the statement said. Someone used a phone to invite four more men, who soon arrived.

Not long afterward, the group fled through a back window when they heard a relative of one of the teens arriving at the blue house. The 11-year-old left behind her bra and panties as the group moved to the nearby abandoned trailer, where the assaults continued. As the men had sex with the girl, others used their cell phones to take photographs and video, police said.

Familiar faces in video

Over the next two days, the recordings went viral around school. One student who recognized the girl and several of the young men, including star athletes, in the videos, alerted school authorities and triggered the investigation.

So far, 17 suspects have been charged, ranging in age from a middle-schooler to a 27-year-old. Seven are high school students, including two members of Cleveland's state-ranked basketball team. Another is the 21-year-old son of a school board member. Several have prior criminal records for drug sales, aggravated robbery and manslaughter.

James D. Evans III, an attorney who represents three of the defendants, insists: "This is not a case of a child who was enslaved or taken advantage of."

Investigators note an 11-year-old can never legally give consent.
---

much more at http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/metropolitan/7459716.html

Can they slap producing/distributing kiddie *advertiser censored* charges on top of the rape charges?

I haven't seen where any of the arrested were members of this poor girl's family. That said, WHY IN THE HE77 DID THEY REMOVE HER???? ITA it doesn't make any sense.

But then again, look at what I'm dealing with down here with the Barahona's; the mother and other two children in Delray and now the 2 yr old in the hotel.

DCF is a complete and utter joke! It needs to be completely disbanded and we should start over.

This poor child. I truly hope she gets the help she needs and it continues - it is going to take her years to get through this!!!

I do not have all the particulars but sometimes when a child is victimized and there is some dysfunction in the family, DHS will place the child in a specialized treatment foster home, on a temporary or emergency basis. There are many reasons for this. Treatment foster parents are trained to respond to the child's trauma and to log disclosures. And sometimes, not all the facts are in immediately and there could be a possible danger to the girl in her own home. Personally, I'd rather see DHS err on the side of caution. We'd all be up in arms if this child returned home and wasn't safe.

As I said, I don't know all the details but this has been my experience in the past. A judge will rule within a set number of days as to the safety of the child in returning home. She is entitled to visits with her family if the judge believes that it is in her best interest. She and her parents will all be assigned attorneys to sort things out. Remember, it's not about the parents' rights but the safety of the child.

My thoughts and prayers are with this little girl.

When the little girl was kidnapped and raped in Yreka, CA by Kody Kaplon (still waiting on trial BTW), she was not returned immediately to family either. Sometimes, I think that DHS and LE feel that an environment is simply too volatile for a traumatized child to return to.

When our children were raped, we were actually given the opportunity to have them placed temporarily in a respite home as my husband and I were knocked flat. We chose to rely on every support system possible and keep everyone together but I know that not everyone can pull that off after a trauma like this.

The bottom line is that if there's nothing wrong at home, she'll be headed back quickly as Texas certainly has no extra funds for children in care. And she wouldn't be going to a typical foster family. She'd be going to a highly trained "trauma response" home. That's very different.

I understand what you are saying Missizzy however, this little girl NEEDS HER MOTHER especially at a time like this. From what I have seen - the mother did nothing wrong. I saw a statement that said she was removed because LE fears for the safety of THE WHOLE FAMILY!!! So why split them up? This poor little girl needs her mother. Now, if the mother has said some things or knew of these guys or maybe dated these guys or whatever - then yes. But until I see where there was immediate danger from her mother I say this agency is a joke. Common sense.

We have battered woman's shelters all over. I'm quite sure her and her mother could have gone there or what about a Ronald McDonald house near the hospitals? I'm sure they coiuld have found "a placement" for both the girl and her mother.

It makes sense to me that the authorities have put this girl into another house. Eighteen rapists and their families would love nothing more than to find her. IMO, her parents should be glad that the state is willing to pay to protect her. Do they want her at home to be an easy target for revenge? I am appalled at the idea that eighteen guys in this small town would not only rape a child, but that now they and their relatives and friends (probably) want to harm her and her family. And the attorney who implied she was complicit? Dirtbag, through and through. The very sad reality is that in many cases like this, especially if some of the perps are sports stars, the community tends to side with the perps.

I'm with WhyaDuck -- the videos and pictures must definitely be child *advertiser censored*, and those charges should be brought, too.

Someone has been making phone calls to Maria's house. Police fear they're coming from people seeking retribution.
"They keep calling and asking for her," said Maria, whose last name is not being printed to protect her daughter's identity. "They don't believe me when I say she's not here and cuss us out. They're trying to find her. This is the time when she needs us the most. . .

The police think we may be in danger. Because if they can't get my 11-year-old, they might take out their revenge on us," said Maria, as extra patrols are making rounds down her street."
http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/metropolitan/7459716.html

For some reason the links aren't working for me but I don't think this has been posted:

http://www.khou.com/home/--Police-4...lleged-sexual-assault-of-Cleveland-girl-.html

Son of school board member among suspects in rape of Cleveland girl

"Police on Friday released the identities of four men accused in the sexual assault of a middle school student in Cleveland.

The suspects are Jared Len Cruse, 18; Isaiah Rashad Ross, 21; Timothy Daray Ellis, 19; and Rayford Tyrone Ellis, Jr., 19. All four men are from Cleveland.

Ross is the son of Cleveland ISD School Board Vice President Billy Ross, Jr. The elder Ross is also a City of Cleveland employee.

Court records show Rayford Tyrone Ellis, Jr., was charged with manslaughter in March of last year in an unrelated case..."

more at link

For some reason the links aren't working for me but I don't think this has been posted:

http://www.khou.com/home/--Police-4...lleged-sexual-assault-of-Cleveland-girl-.html

Son of school board member among suspects in rape of Cleveland girl

"Police on Friday released the identities of four men accused in the sexual assault of a middle school student in Cleveland.

The suspects are Jared Len Cruse, 18; Isaiah Rashad Ross, 21; Timothy Daray Ellis, 19; and Rayford Tyrone Ellis, Jr., 19. All four men are from Cleveland.

Ross is the son of Cleveland ISD School Board Vice President Billy Ross, Jr. The elder Ross is also a City of Cleveland employee.

Court records show Rayford Tyrone Ellis, Jr., was charged with manslaughter in March of last year in an unrelated case..."

more at link

The fact that one of the men is a known killer shows that she had good reason to believe that she was in danger of her life during the rapes. Not that it wouldn't have been rape anyway. But I hope the community sees that, whatever skewed picture of her they are getting, she was a little girl undergoing a horrifying, brutal assault.

t makes sense to me that the authorities have put this girl into another house. Eighteen rapists and their families would love nothing more than to find her.

They also said they are worried for the entire family so why can't the entire family be put into protection....... You're missing the point they took the girl and what left her family to be killed???? including her 16 yr old sister...... told them to move away..

that isn't right now matter how they try to paint it...

I have to agree with Steadfast on this one, Wise Old Owl, safety comes first. This is a small town and it must be an extremely toxic environment right now. This child must stay safe. Not allowing the mother to speak to her child about the rapes is common. We had to wait 10 months to speak to our children about their rapes and to comfort them in any but the most benign fashion. The child's testimony cannot be tainted. Isn't that the most deplorable statement for a mother to type? But it's true IF we all want these men tried and convicted.

I have a hunch that there's a tiny bit still not being revealed. Let's wait and see. You know that I want children with their mothers but possibly this mother was just not strong enough to handle what this child needed right now. The links finally opened and I see that she's in a "safe house". That tells me a whole lot.

Also, has this been seen:

http://www.khou.com/video/featured-videos/116790428.html

Cleveland mom outraged as son is accused in gang rape

This little girl does not need to be exposed to this type of community reaction.

Nope this just isn't right

the older kids are all in band and advanced placement classes.. the 11 yr old is in gifted and talented programs.. these are NOT dangerous abusive parents.. NOPE not at all.... these are loving parents......

and this: restricted her family from even speaking to her, the family said.

SOO WRONG!

I have to agree with Steadfast on this one, Wise Old Owl, safety comes first. This is a small town and it must be an extremely toxic environment right now. This child must stay safe. Not allowing the mother to speak to her child about the rapes is common. We had to wait 10 months to speak to our children about their rapes and to comfort them in any but the most benign fashion. The child's testimony cannot be tainted. Isn't that the most deplorable statement for a mother to type? But it's true IF we all want these men tried and convicted.

I have a hunch that there's a tiny bit still not being revealed. Let's wait and see. You know that I want children with their mothers but possible this mother was just not strong enough to handle what this child needed right now. The links finally opened and I see that she's in a "safe house". That tells me a whole lot.

Also, has this been seen:

http://www.khou.com/video/featured-videos/116790428.html

Cleveland mom outraged as son is accused in gang rape

This little girl does not need to be exposed to this type of community reaction.

YOu know I've been where you are and while yes speaking about the sexual assualt is off limits.. they weren't allowed to speak to her at all!!

"My daughter was crying and crying and hugging on me," Maria said. "She didn't want to leave. She misses her family and wants to come home."

This is interesting......................

Report: Son of school board member among suspects in rape of Cleveland girl
by khou.com staff
khou.com
Posted on February 18, 2011 at 4:16 PM

Updated Friday, Feb 18 at 5:30 PM

Court records show Rayford Tyrone Ellis, Jr., was charged with manslaughter in March of last year in an unrelated case.

**more at link**

It just doesn't seem right.. I don't deny she needs protection but they feretted her off (their witness) to a secure place and left the rest of the family including a 9 yr old to be sitting ducks while telling them for their own safety they should relocate..... doesn't sound like they can afford to..... yet with .limited means look what they ahve done for their kids.. AP classes, band talented and gifted programs etc.....
are they going to keep her locked away from even her family till trial.. my god that could be years.... i'm just sitting here shaking my head. I was raped as a young child and the only person in the world I wanted was my mommy, I would have DIED inside if they had taken me away form her....

I think this child's saftey could have been addressed by moving the family temporarily out of the town or the county rather than ripping her from her family into special foster placement. To this child, this action may very well feel like punishment for coming forward. She may very well be feeling all of this is her fault. I am not sure how this helps her to heal her psychological wounds from being raped. Being pulled from her home, her family, all things familiar and comforting.

I get that her safety comes first, but I do feel there had to have been a better option than foster placement.

It just doesn't seem right.. I don't deny she needs protection but they feretted her off (their witness) to a secure place and left the rest of the family including a 9 yr old to be sitting ducks while telling them for their own safety they should relocate..... doesn't sound like they can afford to..... yet with .limited means look what they ahve done for their kids.. AP classes, band talented and gifted programs etc.....
are they going to keep her locked away from even her family till trial.. my god that could be years.... i'm just sitting here shaking my head. I was raped as a young child and the only person in the world I wanted was my mommy, I would have DIED inside if they had taken me away form her....

BBM

First, I'm so sorry for what you went through.

Being a mother myself - man I can tell youif this had happened to my daughter you would have to literally shackle me to keep me away from her!!!!!!! No kidding. I just don't understand and never will.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
L1752
Back