945 users online (122 members and 823 guests)  

Websleuths News

Plotting the Highway of Tears

shadowraiths was kind enough to send me new links to the crime map and article from the original thread.

You can find a really good crime map on SW's website:

http://crimsonshadows.net/crimemaps/...ghway-of-tears

And the article:
    http://crimsonshadows.net/articles-m...ghway-of-tears

Please discuss the map here, and connections between the locations. I think it might be helpful to start considering the geography.

Are you aware of anything similar for Alberta/Saskatchewan/Manitoba women?
    Opinions expressed are strictly my own (who else would they belong to???)

Quote Originally Posted by carbuff View Post
    Are you aware of anything similar for Alberta/Saskatchewan/Manitoba women?
    Not off hand, though the www.highwayoftears.ca and "Missing Aboriginal Women" websites would be the best bet for that info. The maps mostly focus on Highway 16 portion in BC, echoing the E-Pana investigation.

I would really be interested in seeing one for all of Prince Rupert to Winnipeg.

Quote Originally Posted by WhyaDuck? View Post
    Not off hand, though the www.highwayoftears.ca and "Missing Aboriginal Women" websites would be the best bet for that info. The maps mostly focus on Highway 16 portion in BC, echoing the E-Pana investigation.

I would really be interested in seeing one for all of Prince Rupert to Winnipeg.
    Yeah, that's what I was thinking -- there are several very similar cases on the east-west road. Maybe even clear into Ontario. I can see why they're focusing on the BC side of the problem, but I don't think that's the entire story.

I think the information is there, just needs to be put together. I'll start taking notes for that as I read.

Yeah, that's what I was thinking -- there are several very similar cases on the east-west road. Maybe even clear into Ontario. I can see why they're focusing on the BC side of the problem, but I don't think that's the entire story.

I think the information is there, just needs to be put together. I'll start taking notes for that as I read.
    The "E" in E-Pana refers to E-division of the RCMP, which is BC, so it makes sense for that investigation to focus on this specific locale.

The "Highway Murders" investigation of the 1980s was much, much wider - at least into Alberta, IIRC, but I think it also included some LE from Sask and Man. You can also check out the Manitoba RCMP investigation, which looks at connections from out of province - they are asking whether there are serial killers involved in their length of highway.

I am hoping the Missing Women commission suggests a nation-wide inquest. It would be great if the Manitoba serial killers project could be extended across the west.

Take a look at the "unofficial victims" lists I have compiled here - they include a lot of missing/murdered from the Highway Murders investigation, and others. Feel free to add to those lists, and start discussion threads in the appropriate parts of the missing forums.

The "E" in E-Pana refers to E-division of the RCMP, which is BC, so it makes sense for that investigation to focus on this specific locale.

The "Highway Murders" investigation of the 1980s was much, much wider - at least into Alberta, IIRC, but I think it also included some LE from Sask and Man. You can also check out the Manitoba RCMP investigation, which looks at connections from out of province - they are asking whether there are serial killers involved in their length of highway.

I am hoping the Missing Women commission suggests a nation-wide inquest. It would be great if the Manitoba serial killers project could be extended across the west.

Take a look at the "unofficial victims" lists I have compiled here - they include a lot of missing/murdered from the Highway Murders investigation, and others. Feel free to add to those lists, and start discussion threads in the appropriate parts of the missing forums.
    I have the Manitoba website and information; it's very helpful. Didn't know about the 1980's highway murders investigation, though. Thanks! I'm looking mainly at missing women who might have been dumped in the US, where there are a bunch of UIDs of probably "native" origin. Seems like many of them are in the upper Mississippi area, which makes Saskatchewan/Manitoba much more likely.

I have the Manitoba website and information; it's very helpful. Didn't know about the 1980's highway murders investigation, though. Thanks! I'm looking mainly at missing women who might have been dumped in the US, where there are a bunch of UIDs of probably "native" origin. Seems like many of them are in the upper Mississippi area, which makes Saskatchewan/Manitoba much more likely.
    There's a thread here in this forum for the Highway Murders investigations from the 1980s.

There's a thread here in this forum for the Highway Murders investigations from the 1980s.
    Yep, got it now, thank you!

It's important to pay some attention to the criminals at first - that's how we know if there's something in the system to blame for their crimes - something for which we can demand change. But when they become more famous than their victims, we've gone too far.

Let's keep our minds on the victims. Let's not let the people who destroyed their lives get the attention they crave. Let's not give them a reason to be copycats. Let's focus on the woman whose family and friends are using a sunflower to symbolize her - perfect for the warm and happy person she was.

http://www.sunnewsnetwork.ca/sunnews...11-075949.html

Dance as though no one is watching you.
    Love as though you have never been hurt before.
    Sing as though no one can hear you.
    Live as though heaven is on earth…Noelle certainly did.

this was on Noelles obituary,,,, very nice!! RIP Noelle