945 users online (122 members and 823 guests)  


Websleuths News


Results 1 to 11 of 11
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    16,784

    Plotting the Highway of Tears

    shadowraiths was kind enough to send me new links to the crime map and article from the original thread.

    You can find a really good crime map on SW's website:

    http://crimsonshadows.net/crimemaps/...ghway-of-tears

    And the article:
    http://crimsonshadows.net/articles-m...ghway-of-tears

    Please discuss the map here, and connections between the locations. I think it might be helpful to start considering the geography.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    16,784

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    New England
    Posts
    17,856
    Are you aware of anything similar for Alberta/Saskatchewan/Manitoba women?
    Opinions expressed are strictly my own (who else would they belong to???)

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    16,784
    Quote Originally Posted by carbuff View Post
    Are you aware of anything similar for Alberta/Saskatchewan/Manitoba women?
    Not off hand, though the www.highwayoftears.ca and "Missing Aboriginal Women" websites would be the best bet for that info. The maps mostly focus on Highway 16 portion in BC, echoing the E-Pana investigation.

    I would really be interested in seeing one for all of Prince Rupert to Winnipeg.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    New England
    Posts
    17,856
    Quote Originally Posted by WhyaDuck? View Post
    Not off hand, though the www.highwayoftears.ca and "Missing Aboriginal Women" websites would be the best bet for that info. The maps mostly focus on Highway 16 portion in BC, echoing the E-Pana investigation.

    I would really be interested in seeing one for all of Prince Rupert to Winnipeg.
    Yeah, that's what I was thinking -- there are several very similar cases on the east-west road. Maybe even clear into Ontario. I can see why they're focusing on the BC side of the problem, but I don't think that's the entire story.

    I think the information is there, just needs to be put together. I'll start taking notes for that as I read.
    Opinions expressed are strictly my own (who else would they belong to???)

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    16,784
    Quote Originally Posted by carbuff View Post
    Yeah, that's what I was thinking -- there are several very similar cases on the east-west road. Maybe even clear into Ontario. I can see why they're focusing on the BC side of the problem, but I don't think that's the entire story.

    I think the information is there, just needs to be put together. I'll start taking notes for that as I read.
    The "E" in E-Pana refers to E-division of the RCMP, which is BC, so it makes sense for that investigation to focus on this specific locale.

    The "Highway Murders" investigation of the 1980s was much, much wider - at least into Alberta, IIRC, but I think it also included some LE from Sask and Man. You can also check out the Manitoba RCMP investigation, which looks at connections from out of province - they are asking whether there are serial killers involved in their length of highway.

    I am hoping the Missing Women commission suggests a nation-wide inquest. It would be great if the Manitoba serial killers project could be extended across the west.

    Take a look at the "unofficial victims" lists I have compiled here - they include a lot of missing/murdered from the Highway Murders investigation, and others. Feel free to add to those lists, and start discussion threads in the appropriate parts of the missing forums.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    New England
    Posts
    17,856
    Quote Originally Posted by WhyaDuck? View Post
    The "E" in E-Pana refers to E-division of the RCMP, which is BC, so it makes sense for that investigation to focus on this specific locale.

    The "Highway Murders" investigation of the 1980s was much, much wider - at least into Alberta, IIRC, but I think it also included some LE from Sask and Man. You can also check out the Manitoba RCMP investigation, which looks at connections from out of province - they are asking whether there are serial killers involved in their length of highway.

    I am hoping the Missing Women commission suggests a nation-wide inquest. It would be great if the Manitoba serial killers project could be extended across the west.

    Take a look at the "unofficial victims" lists I have compiled here - they include a lot of missing/murdered from the Highway Murders investigation, and others. Feel free to add to those lists, and start discussion threads in the appropriate parts of the missing forums.
    I have the Manitoba website and information; it's very helpful. Didn't know about the 1980's highway murders investigation, though. Thanks! I'm looking mainly at missing women who might have been dumped in the US, where there are a bunch of UIDs of probably "native" origin. Seems like many of them are in the upper Mississippi area, which makes Saskatchewan/Manitoba much more likely.
    Opinions expressed are strictly my own (who else would they belong to???)

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    16,784
    Quote Originally Posted by carbuff View Post
    I have the Manitoba website and information; it's very helpful. Didn't know about the 1980's highway murders investigation, though. Thanks! I'm looking mainly at missing women who might have been dumped in the US, where there are a bunch of UIDs of probably "native" origin. Seems like many of them are in the upper Mississippi area, which makes Saskatchewan/Manitoba much more likely.
    There's a thread here in this forum for the Highway Murders investigations from the 1980s.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    New England
    Posts
    17,856
    Quote Originally Posted by WhyaDuck? View Post
    There's a thread here in this forum for the Highway Murders investigations from the 1980s.
    Yep, got it now, thank you!
    Opinions expressed are strictly my own (who else would they belong to???)

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    36
    It's important to pay some attention to the criminals at first - that's how we know if there's something in the system to blame for their crimes - something for which we can demand change. But when they become more famous than their victims, we've gone too far.

    Let's keep our minds on the victims. Let's not let the people who destroyed their lives get the attention they crave. Let's not give them a reason to be copycats. Let's focus on the woman whose family and friends are using a sunflower to symbolize her - perfect for the warm and happy person she was.

    http://www.sunnewsnetwork.ca/sunnews...11-075949.html


  11. #11
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    36
    Dance as though no one is watching you.
    Love as though you have never been hurt before.
    Sing as though no one can hear you.
    Live as though heaven is on earth…Noelle certainly did.

    this was on Noelles obituary,,,, very nice!! RIP Noelle



Similar Threads

  1. Possible Suspects on the Highway of Tears
    By WhyaDuck? in forum Western Canada's Highway of Tears
    Replies: 58
    Last Post: 09-04-2016, 12:57 AM
  2. Educational Resources about the Highway of Tears
    By WhyaDuck? in forum Western Canada's Highway of Tears
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 03-29-2011, 12:44 PM
  3. Male Victims on the Highway of Tears?
    By WhyaDuck? in forum Western Canada's Highway of Tears
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 02-20-2011, 04:32 PM
  4. Highway of Tears Symposium, 2006
    By WhyaDuck? in forum Western Canada's Highway of Tears
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 02-17-2011, 05:44 PM