TX - Mya Wallace, 6 mos, dies in hot car, New Braunfels, 8 March 2011

wfgodot

Former Member
Reaction score
New Braunfels infant dies in hot car
NEW BRAUNFELS – A 6-month-old girl is dead after being left in a hot car for more than eight hours on Tuesday.
---
Lt. Michael Penshorn, NBPD, said information indicates the mother came to work around 8 a.m. and inadvertently left the child in the vehicle.

As she was leaving work for the day, she noticed that the child was still in the vehicle.

According to the the New Braunfels Herald-Zeitung, the mother, Kayla Carlson is an employee at the newspaper.

The article also said that Carlson forgot to drop the child off at daycare before she came to work.

The publisher of the Herald-Zeitung, Doug Toney, is quoted as saying:

“The New Braunfels Herald-Zeitung family is devastated ... Kayla is a valued employee. We all were able to watch her and support her in her pregnancy; her colleagues here threw her a baby shower at work.”
---
KENS 5 chief meteorologist Bill Taylor said the high in New Braunfels on Tuesday was 84 degrees.

more, including video, at KENS 5 link above

I have been soo sleep deprived I was on the verge of hallucinating. and having 5 kids in 4 different schools my schedule is NEVER consistant. I HAVE NEVER FORGOTTEN MY CHILDREN!
I don't buy it "I forgot my baby".. i just can't in these cases.
RIP poor angel, you deserved better

Oh man, not another one. This happens way too often.

Bless that poor baby.

I do not understand this and never will. I know, without a doubt, I could never have done this when my babies were young. We just had a case tried here in Vegas where the parents left their 4-year-old, disabled son in the car for 17 hours. What???? How in the HE!! do you forget about your own child for 17 hours?

Putting the diaper bag next to your purse/briefcase in the front seat should remind a person. So sad...

My daycare has a rule - if my son is an hour late for daycare, and I haven't called to say he's not coming, they call me and ask.

How many lives could be saved if this was law?

It is just difficult to comprehend how one can be so preoccupied as to forget caring for your child.

I don't understand how you could forget your child in the car for a second..let alone all day.

Rest in peace little one. :rose:

I have been soo sleep deprived I was on the verge of hallucinating. and having 5 kids in 4 different schools my schedule is NEVER consistant. I HAVE NEVER FORGOTTEN MY CHILDREN!
I don't buy it "I forgot my baby".. i just can't in these cases.
RIP poor angel, you deserved better

The fact that your schedule is never consistent is the key here, these tragic cases most often happen when there is a deviation from the usual routine, for example the mother always drops the children off at the nursery but one day the dad does it and forgets. People get their head in to their usual routine and forget the quiet child in the back of the car.

Every time I hear about yet another of these cases I am grateful I don't drive because I believe everyone has the potential to make a terrible mistake.

I agree with the person who said a call from the nursery/child minder would make all the difference. I wish more places did it. Hopefully it would save some lives.

My big fear was accidentally locking the keys in the car with my baby in there. I was hyper aware, all the time. So so sad. :(

The fact that your schedule is never consistent is the key here, these tragic cases most often happen when there is a deviation from the usual routine, for example the mother always drops the children off at the nursery but one day the dad does it and forgets. People get their head in to their usual routine and forget the quiet child in the back of the car.

Every time I hear about yet another of these cases I am grateful I don't drive because I believe everyone has the potential to make a terrible mistake.

I agree with the person who said a call from the nursery/child minder would make all the difference. I wish more places did it. Hopefully it would save some lives.

I'm sorry - but I have to disagree. As a parent, your routine may deviate, but you're a parent, regardless of your routine. This is so much more than a "mistake."

HOW do you forget about your own child??? HOW??? No. I don't understand it at all.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2009/02/27/AR2009022701549.html

This is a very thoughtful, well written piece from the Washington Post on how good, caring, careful parents can, in fact, accidentally leave kids in the car. Heartbreaking, well worth reading the entire thing.

Thanks for posting this. It's an excellent article, and heartbreaking is the perfect word for it. I remember hearing about one of the cases mentioned in the article when it happened.

I read an article that said to put your purse or cell or attache, etc, in the back seat near the baby to remind you.

What kind of world is it where parents would forget their kid but not their cell phone?

I read an article that said to put your purse or cell or attache, etc, in the back seat near the baby to remind you.

What kind of world is it where parents would forget their kid but not their cell phone?

Just to be clear, I am not blaming anyone, as that is not my role. Just concerned that people are so wired in and preoccupied that the moments are lost, if that makes sense.

poor little one. Will reserve judgment. While I cannot imagine forgetting a baby in my backseat, I can allow that it could happen.

Putting the diaper bag next to your purse/briefcase in the front seat should remind a person. So sad...
I always put my purse next to the baby so I wouldn't forget my purse.

I dont get it either. When I drop jr off at daycare my mind always goes back to what he is doing that day etc. I always miss my son and silently say a prayer that he is having a good day. How do you forget your own kid is in the seat? especially if your kid is an older baby. I know my son makes noises and babbles and he is only 10 1/2 months.

maybe i'm just an extra paranoid parent, but I even look in the back seat just in case. Sometimes I think these people are on drugs, mentally ill or just bad parents. Sorry guys IMO

I don't understand how you can forget your baby in the car. I always look in the back seat when I get out of my car, just because Im paranoid like that. Even when I know that my baby is at home with my husband. Such a tragedy when all it takes is one sec to take a glance. At this point this has become a common thing we hear of, why not just make it a habit of looking in your back seat whenever you get out of the car?

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JR Rainwater
Back