Canada - Police can detect computers accessing child *advertiser censored*

Valleyboy

Grumpy Old Man..
Reaction score
Police can detect computers accessing child *advertiser censored*

http://www.thestar.com/news/article...rs-accessing-child-*advertiser censored*?bn=1

Halton police say technology is helping them pinpoint predators in their war on child *advertiser censored*.

A one-second snapshot of Internet use on Wednesday morning showed six Oakville computers, seven in Burlington, four in Halton Hills and five in Milton were accessing child *advertiser censored* sites at that moment, said Det.-Sgt. Brad Cook.

Police also detected 158 computers in Halton that accessed child *advertiser censored* last month, he said.

But Cook said police won’t reveal how they can track Internet traffic for fear of giving an upper hand to those who troll child *advertiser censored* sites.

Police departments around the world are engaged in an evolving game of technological cat-and-mouse with web offenders. In 2005, Halton was one of several Canadian police departments that adopted the Microsoft Child Exploitation Tracking System (CETS).

The program was developed after a Toronto police officer in the child exploitation unit asked Microsoft founder Bill Gates for help, frustrated by the lack of technological resources in chasing offenders. The software company has since invested $4.5 million in the program.

The CETS database acts as an information repository, helping officers organize data and share information across jurisdictions.

Halton is among 18 police services across Ontario involved in a joint forces strategy to protect children from sexual abuse and exploitation.

OPP Staff Sgt. Frank Goldschmidt, the program manager, said sharing expertise and technology allows police to more easily seek out Internet predators. “They’re always a step ahead of us, but we’re not too far behind,” he said.

Wendy Cukier, a research associate at Ryerson’s privacy and cybercrime institute, says new technology is a boon to law enforcement.

“Given the growing prevalence and sophistication of the full range of cyber and technology enabled crime, the police need advanced technology tools and know-how as well as up-to-date legislative frameworks to do their job,” she said.

But some civil liberties experts worry the tech race is a slippery slope that will leave the law behind.

“I’m always suspicious when police are using technology which allows them to get information which traditionally would only be available by getting a warrant,” said Richard Rosenberg, president of the B.C. Freedom of Information and Privacy Association.

Halton police also announced the arrests of four men for possession and distribution of child *advertiser censored* over the Internet.

The arrests came after a two-month investigation revealed widespread access to *advertiser censored* sites across Halton, said Det. Insp. Al Albano.

The accused men did not know each other, but were engaged in similar activities, police said.

Charged with possessing child *advertiser censored* and making it available are Robert Knight Bowley, 31, and Andrew Rutledge, 18, both of Burlington, Cody Crocker, 20, of Oakville, and Gerald Legere, 62, of Campbellville.

sounds about right to me

I understand the civil liberties concerns but at this point I'm more worried about children being raped & abused & trafficked

I actually think it's kinda funny that all those PREDATORS/PEDOPHILES think they're hiding their nasty perversion and the cops already know who they are & where they live - HAH!

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Smokylotus
Back