Photos of Hitler’s Wife Stir the Web

Dark Knight

Reaction score
At first glance, these pictures are so ordinary that they could come from anyone’s dusty old family album. There are picnics and parties, pets and silly poses — all the normal things you might associate with a middle-class family on holiday.

The most photographed figure is a young woman who sunbathes, exercises by a lake, rows a boat and poses semi-nude behind an umbrella — a young woman enjoying the prime of her life. But this is no ordinary woman.

The photographs are of the notorious Eva Braun — Hitler’s consort and, for about 40 hours, his wife.

At first glance, these pictures are so ordinary that they could come from anyone’s dusty old family album. There are picnics and parties, pets and silly poses — all the normal things you might associate with a middle-class family on holiday.

What a wasted life

What caught my eye was the school picture, where they didn't smile and they all crossed their arms. That must have been the fashion at the time, but I don't recall seeing any like that in either my grandmother's photos or my dads. (She was between the two in age).

Thanks DK, I didn't know that about Eva Braun and that she was married to Hitler for only 40 hours. For some reason, I thought they were married longer. Also interesting is that she attempted suicide twice during their relationship (eventually killing herself on the 3rd go with a cyanide tablet)!

Thanks for bringing me up to speed on my history!

Mel

What a wasted life

What caught my eye was the school picture, where they didn't smile and they all crossed their arms. That must have been the fashion at the time, but I don't recall seeing any like that in either my grandmother's photos or my dads. (She was between the two in age).

I always commented about that in my grandma's old photos and she said people just didn't think to smile in the photos. Some of them outright scowl, lol. Smiling like we do now just wasn't something people thought to do, apparently.

I always commented about that in my grandma's old photos and she said people just didn't think to smile in the photos. Some of them outright scowl, lol. Smiling like we do now just wasn't something people thought to do, apparently.

It probably wasn't an issue for our grandparents, but for their parents, exposure times were longer and it would have been harder to hold a smile perfectly still. It may have taken a generation or two for smiles to become the fashion.

Thanks for the pics DK. I have never seen these and I studied this period.

Very interesting.

I too feel she led a wasted life.

Goz

Thank you, DK, for the pictures. I had never seen them either.
Chilling , is the word that comes to mind. My family was all a part of that generation and it is difficult to fathom the difference in what was going on behind those seemingly "normal" looking faces and places and the people I grew up knowing.
"who KNOWS what evil lurks in the hearts and minds of men"?
"the Shadow"?
No, only GOD!
jmo

PS......I read a comment beneath the photos about taking Hitler's name out of history and I find that alarming. History is what history is and though it has been said that "we learn from history that we learn nothing from history" we should never forget what some of those people in those pictures were "scheming" and the destruction they heaped upon their fellowman.
again, jmo

Those were chilling. The lack of emotion is interesting.
I don't agree with taking Hitler out of history, how can we learn to ensure terrible things like that do not happen again. Erasing history is an absurd idea.

Thanks for the pics DK. I have never seen these and I studied this period.

Very interesting.

I too feel she led a wasted life.

Goz

Goz, did you ever see Eva Braun's home movies? They're readily available. We had them on VHS.

Berchtesgaden is so beautiful and these "new" photographs show alot of it.

Thanks for the link, DK.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Semh
Back