Japan: 9.0 Earthquake-Tsunami-Nuclear Reactor Developments #1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Peliman

Reaction score
Upgraded to 8.8

TOKYO (AP) - Japan was struck by a magnitude 7.9 earthquake off its northeastern coast Friday, shaking buildings in Tokyo for several minutes and prompting a tsunami warning.

Japan's meteorological agency warned that a tsunami as high as 20 feet (6 meters) could strike the coast near Miyagi prefecture, closest to the epicenter.

Smaller tsunamis of up to 50 centimeters reached some coastal communities, the agency said.

The Pacific Tsunami Warning Center in Hawaii said a tsunami warning was in effect for Japan, Russia, Marcus Island and the Northern Marianas.

http://thestar.com.my/news/story.asp?file=/2011/3/11/nation/20110311142627&sec=nation

Just had breaking news here Peliman thanks for bringing this here. (I'm in Hawaii).

We are on a Tsunami watch and if there is one the first wave would be predicted to hit about 3 AM our time ( not in print that I know of, local news).

We live in the center of the island close to the top of one of the volcanic ridges. Which makes it cooler here at my home (at least 10+ degrees cooler than the beach areas) plus very wet and rainy almost everyday. The plus side is that we at a much higher elevation.

Hopefully if this did generate one, we will have good evac to my area and other areas from the beach areas.

Again Thanks Peli!

I am seeing live video of the 13 ft tsunami which hit the coast. Another big wave may be coming anytime. That was a big quake.

TOKYO – Japan was struck by a magnitude 8.9 earthquake off its northeastern coast Friday, unleashing a 13-foot (4-meter) tsunami that washed away cars and tore away buildings along the coast near the epicenter. There were reports of injuries in Tokyo.

In various locations along Japan's coast, TV footage showed massive damage from the tsunami, with dozens of cars, boats and even buildings being carried along by waters.

A large ship swept away by the tsunami rammed directly into a breakwater in Kesennuma city in Miyagi prefecture, according to footage on public broadcaster NHK.
Officials were trying to assess damage, injuries and deaths from the quake but had no immediate details.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20110311/ap_on_re_as/as_japan_earthquake

A 13 foot tsunami is huge! Fervent prayers for everyone affected, in Jesus' Name, amen!

OMG. Im watching CNN and Fox. Devastating

FOX national has helicopter footage of the tsunami hitting the coast - wow - all that water

Watching AlJazeera on tv and OMG that area's airport is flooded from the tsunami. :(

ETA: 7th at 6.3mag

Wow, those fires are huge, and the tsunami is continuing it appears. This is just unreal, praying so hard for them.

I just saw the people waving white sheets at the TV choppers from the upstairs of their houses begging for rescue. :(

FOX just said they have upgraded from a tsunami watch to a tsunami warning for Hawaii

There will be a series of waves. Its not over.

Wave will hit Hawaii.

They are announcing where its going to hit. Dear Lord.

FOX just said they have upgraded from a tsunami watch to a tsunami warning for Hawaii

The first of a series of waves is expected to hit there and numerous other countries, wow, just wow, more prayers going out. Stay safe WS'ers.

Aftershocks are hitting downtown Tokyu, including one over a 6. Fires everywhere in addition to the water.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bosie