1050 users online (272 members and 778 guests)  

Websleuths News

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Teen Jumps From Golden Gate Bridge "for fun" - Survives

http://www.nbcbayarea.com/news/local...117769468.html

Windsor is very near where I live. The teens were on a field trip which included a walk across the bridge. He jumped from one of the lower southern portions of the bridge and did not suffer any life threatening injuries.

He did it for fun - apparently a dare devil type.

What an idiot is all I have to say.

Good Lord! It's a wonder any of us survive the teen years....
    I do not intend to tiptoe through life only to arrive safely at death!

belimom is offline Our lives begin to end the day we become silent about things that matter ~MLK Jr
    Quote Originally Posted by ziggy View Post
    http://www.nbcbayarea.com/news/local...117769468.html

Windsor is very near where I live. The teens were on a field trip which included a walk across the bridge. He jumped from one of the lower southern portions of the bridge and did not suffer any life threatening injuries.

He did it for fun - apparently a dare devil type.

What an idiot is all I have to say.
    The opening comments by the newscaster says it all: "...luckier than he is smart."
    Fly high and free, Jhessye ~

My posts are meant to help think through possibilities and are strictly an additional opinion under circumstances when many points of view need to be considered. I apologize in advance to anyone whose potential involvement is contemplated in error. Please understand that much of what is happening is merely brainstorming during unfortunate events.

I'm sorry. I'll apologize in advance, OK?

I wish they wouldn't charge him with trespassing.

I think this kid probably has a great since of adventure and is probably the type of person that explores the Amazon or climbs Mt. Everest. While I don't "recommend" that adventuresome people jump off of bridges, I kind of think we need people who are willing to take high risks in this world.

I am glad he is ok.

Truthful Lies is offline "Life shrinks and expands in proportion to one's courage" ~ Ana´s Nin
    I think he ought to have to pay for anything incurred by the city for his little stunt - if not mentally ill. And, I really hope he has insurance - it's just not fair that tax payers get saddled with the financial aftermath of crap like this. This was above and way, way, way beyond normal life risks.

I do hope they charge and convict. He's prob loving the attention...he shouldn't be rewarded for his reckless behavior. However, maybe it will deter other jumpers who wouldn't want to just end up injured.

I'd spank him, too, if he were my kid. =D

Moo.
    Where is Jennifer Kesse? www.findjenniferkesse.com

4 teens died in PA last week, in a car, trying to do a stunt to put on You Tube...it never ends and this kid is lucky. The sad thing is he'll probably be some kind of hero to his peers.
    Just my opinion, of course.

Quote Originally Posted by kgeaux View Post

I think this kid probably has a great since of adventure and is probably the type of person that explores the Amazon or climbs Mt. Everest. While I don't "recommend" that adventuresome people jump off of bridges, I kind of think we need people who are willing to take high risks in this world.

I am glad he is ok.
    I agree. Great post kgeaux!

Ever hear this redneck joke?

What is the last thing a redneck says before he lands in the ER....

"Hey dudes, watch this!"

The world is full of magical things patiently waiting for our wits to grow sharper.
    Bertrand Russell

Snipped from link in OP.

A field trip that included a walk along the Golden Gate Bridge ended with a student jumping off the bridge Thursday morning.
    Imagine how those chaperones felt when they looked away from what should be an almost grown man (17 yrs old) to be told that he jumped over the side. I can put myself in their shoes and say without a doubt I would have about had a heart attack. I'm sure I would also have had to be treated by paramedics if a minor in my care had done such a thing.

I don't see this as adventerous. I see this as an idiotic act. A sense of adventure by a young adult is usually tempered by enough common sense that won't result most of the time with a torn lung or death.

This reminds me of a teen that climbed into the ceiling portion of of the Rupp Arena in Louisville KY in the 1970's. They did a follow up article on him. He amounted to about what you would have expected from someone who was almost an adult but decided to climb up into a ceiling that was at least 50 feet or so above a basketball court in order not to have to pay and walk around intoxicated. Yeah buddy.

I was there at the game when he fell through. He missed taking out people when he fell by about 3 feet.

Bless this young man's family. They got their hands full. JMHO.

Quote Originally Posted by cluciano63 View Post
    4 teens died in PA last week, in a car, trying to do a stunt to put on You Tube...it never ends and this kid is lucky. The sad thing is he'll probably be some kind of hero to his peers.
    Look, I don't agree with kids, or anyone else doing stupid things, BUT, maybe we need some heroes. Take a minute to really think about it - what would we, today, think about Daniel Boone, Jim Bridger, or all the other mountain men and brave souls who settled this country? Yeah, some others died, died by stupidity, but that didn't make their bravery any less.

Okay, maybe the kid shouldn't have done that, but I think it beats sitting in front of the tube or playing video games, and getting too fat for fifteen, and killing yourself with food.

My opinion only

Quote Originally Posted by Trident View Post
    Look, I don't agree with kids, or anyone else doing stupid things, BUT, maybe we need some heroes. Take a minute to really think about it - what would we, today, think about Daniel Boone, Jim Bridger, or all the other mountain men and brave souls who settled this country? Yeah, some others died, died by stupidity, but that didn't make their bravery any less.

Okay, maybe the kid shouldn't have done that, but I think it beats sitting in front of the tube or playing video games, and getting too fat for fifteen, and killing yourself with food.

My opinion only
    How does jumping off a bridge for no apparent reason make someone a hero?

Quote Originally Posted by kgeaux View Post

I am glad he is ok.
    We can send him over to Japan where he can face many many risks, and possibly help too. Great community service!

MOO

Mel

The bluest skies you've ever seen are in...
    I have a hard time believing it was a stunt. GGB is the #1 choice for bridge jumping suicides. People with a death plan have traveled cross country to make the GG bridge their final leap. I have to wonder if it was a planned suicide attempt, with the added grandiosity of having his classmates see it happen. There is a reason people choose the bridge, it is a grandiose, fabled place to end it all, in dramatic style. (to the suicidal, depressed person). Jumping from it does not add up to a stunt, imo. All you have to do is look down to the water and you can easily calculate your odds of surviving...almost nil. He failed to succeed, so he says it was "for fun". JMO.

Perry, who was dubbed the "Velvet Hammer" by tweeters,
    went on to say that he believed there was sufficient evidence to sustain a
    first-degree murder conviction

"Justice has been served in the sense that the jury has spoken but justice will
    finally be served one day by the Judge of
    judges," Perry said during the morning show.
    "And she's going to live, deal with this for
    the rest of her life."

RIP Caylee Marie

Quote Originally Posted by Trident View Post

My opinion only
    As long as Darwin's theory applies . . . like it is with these kids who sit indoors & in front of the b**b tube playing video games & consume WAY too many calories. This generation is the 1st generation who will not live as long as their parents (imho).
    ~ krimekat ~
    Live in Peace & Peace will live in you

++++++++++++
    Forum Information & Esoterica

Quote Originally Posted by jjenny View Post
    How does jumping off a bridge for no apparent reason make someone a hero?
    Culture hero, maybe/maybe not. I'd really rather see someone, anyone, jump off a bridge than see them eat themselves to death, shoot someone in a drive by, or rape little girls. At least the kid would have gone out, and thankfully, he didn't, with a bit of bravery and guts - something I think is sorely lacking in today's society.

Quote Originally Posted by krimekat View Post
    As long as Darwin's theory applies . . . like it is with these kids who sit indoors & in front of the b**b tube playing video games & consume WAY too many calories. This generation is the 1st generation who will not live as long as their parents (imho).
    Thank you. If you're gonna do something, do it right, make a point, make a splash; don't sit there looking stupid with a bag of chips in your hand.

My opinion only

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast