Teen Jumps From Golden Gate Bridge "for fun" - Survives

ziggy

Reaction score
Website
Visit site
http://www.nbcbayarea.com/news/loca...s-Jump-From-Golden-Gate-Bridge-117769468.html

Windsor is very near where I live. The teens were on a field trip which included a walk across the bridge. He jumped from one of the lower southern portions of the bridge and did not suffer any life threatening injuries.

He did it for fun - apparently a dare devil type.

What an idiot is all I have to say.

The opening comments by the newscaster says it all: "...luckier than he is smart."

I'm sorry. I'll apologize in advance, OK?

I wish they wouldn't charge him with trespassing.

I think this kid probably has a great since of adventure and is probably the type of person that explores the Amazon or climbs Mt. Everest. While I don't "recommend" that adventuresome people jump off of bridges, I kind of think we need people who are willing to take high risks in this world.

I am glad he is ok.

I think he ought to have to pay for anything incurred by the city for his little stunt - if not mentally ill. And, I really hope he has insurance - it's just not fair that tax payers get saddled with the financial aftermath of crap like this. This was above and way, way, way beyond normal life risks.

I do hope they charge and convict. He's prob loving the attention...he shouldn't be rewarded for his reckless behavior. However, maybe it will deter other jumpers who wouldn't want to just end up injured.

I'd spank him, too, if he were my kid. =D

Moo.

4 teens died in PA last week, in a car, trying to do a stunt to put on You Tube...it never ends and this kid is lucky. The sad thing is he'll probably be some kind of hero to his peers.

I think this kid probably has a great since of adventure and is probably the type of person that explores the Amazon or climbs Mt. Everest. While I don't "recommend" that adventuresome people jump off of bridges, I kind of think we need people who are willing to take high risks in this world.

I am glad he is ok.

I agree. Great post kgeaux!

Ever hear this redneck joke?

What is the last thing a redneck says before he lands in the ER....

"Hey dudes, watch this!"

:innocent:

Snipped from link in OP.

A field trip that included a walk along the Golden Gate Bridge ended with a student jumping off the bridge Thursday morning.

Imagine how those chaperones felt when they looked away from what should be an almost grown man (17 yrs old) to be told that he jumped over the side. I can put myself in their shoes and say without a doubt I would have about had a heart attack. I'm sure I would also have had to be treated by paramedics if a minor in my care had done such a thing.

I don't see this as adventerous. I see this as an idiotic act. A sense of adventure by a young adult is usually tempered by enough common sense that won't result most of the time with a torn lung or death.

This reminds me of a teen that climbed into the ceiling portion of of the Rupp Arena in Louisville KY in the 1970's. They did a follow up article on him. He amounted to about what you would have expected from someone who was almost an adult but decided to climb up into a ceiling that was at least 50 feet or so above a basketball court in order not to have to pay and walk around intoxicated. Yeah buddy.

I was there at the game when he fell through. He missed taking out people when he fell by about 3 feet.

Bless this young man's family. They got their hands full. JMHO.

4 teens died in PA last week, in a car, trying to do a stunt to put on You Tube...it never ends and this kid is lucky. The sad thing is he'll probably be some kind of hero to his peers.

Look, I don't agree with kids, or anyone else doing stupid things, BUT, maybe we need some heroes. Take a minute to really think about it - what would we, today, think about Daniel Boone, Jim Bridger, or all the other mountain men and brave souls who settled this country? Yeah, some others died, died by stupidity, but that didn't make their bravery any less.

Okay, maybe the kid shouldn't have done that, but I think it beats sitting in front of the tube or playing video games, and getting too fat for fifteen, and killing yourself with food.

My opinion only

Look, I don't agree with kids, or anyone else doing stupid things, BUT, maybe we need some heroes. Take a minute to really think about it - what would we, today, think about Daniel Boone, Jim Bridger, or all the other mountain men and brave souls who settled this country? Yeah, some others died, died by stupidity, but that didn't make their bravery any less.

Okay, maybe the kid shouldn't have done that, but I think it beats sitting in front of the tube or playing video games, and getting too fat for fifteen, and killing yourself with food.

My opinion only

How does jumping off a bridge for no apparent reason make someone a hero?

I am glad he is ok.

We can send him over to Japan where he can face many many risks, and possibly help too. Great community service!

MOO

Mel

I have a hard time believing it was a stunt. GGB is the #1 choice for bridge jumping suicides. People with a death plan have traveled cross country to make the GG bridge their final leap. I have to wonder if it was a planned suicide attempt, with the added grandiosity of having his classmates see it happen. There is a reason people choose the bridge, it is a grandiose, fabled place to end it all, in dramatic style. (to the suicidal, depressed person). Jumping from it does not add up to a stunt, imo. All you have to do is look down to the water and you can easily calculate your odds of surviving...almost nil. He failed to succeed, so he says it was "for fun". JMO.

My opinion only

As long as Darwin's theory applies . . . like it is with these kids who sit indoors & in front of the b**b tube playing video games & consume WAY too many calories. This generation is the 1st generation who will not live as long as their parents (imho).

How does jumping off a bridge for no apparent reason make someone a hero?

Culture hero, maybe/maybe not. I'd really rather see someone, anyone, jump off a bridge than see them eat themselves to death, shoot someone in a drive by, or rape little girls. At least the kid would have gone out, and thankfully, he didn't, with a bit of bravery and guts - something I think is sorely lacking in today's society.

As long as Darwin's theory applies . . . like it is with these kids who sit indoors & in front of the b**b tube playing video games & consume WAY too many calories. This generation is the 1st generation who will not live as long as their parents (imho).

Thank you. If you're gonna do something, do it right, make a point, make a splash; don't sit there looking stupid with a bag of chips in your hand.

My opinion only

Culture hero, maybe/maybe not. I'd really rather see someone, anyone, jump off a bridge than see them eat themselves to death, shoot someone in a drive by, or rape little girls. At least the kid would have gone out, and thankfully, he didn't, with a bit of bravery and guts - something I think is sorely lacking in today's society.

Bravery? If he jumped to save someone, well, that would be bravery. Him jumping off for no apparent reason, how is that bravery? And then presumably people had to go get him out of the water, take him to the hospital, treat him for his injuries, etc, etc.
Again, how does that translate to bravery?

Darwin's theory? Well if broke his neck jumping off a bridge for no apparent reason,I'd think Darwin's theory would apply.

Bravery? If he jumped to save someone, well, that would be bravery. Him jumping off for no apparent reason, how is that bravery? And then presumably people had to go get him out of the water, take him to the hospital, treat him for his injuries, etc, etc.
Again, how does that translate to bravery?

Well, it takes more nerve than I have to jump off that bridge, and if he wanted to kill himself, it took more nerve to jump than eat himself to death.

Hero or not, I remember the line in the song, "Billie Joe McAllister jumped off the Talahatchie Bridge". Hero, or not to some, I can relate to guts/nerve, rightly or wrongly. What I cannot relate to is the constant concern about how much it costs to remove the body from the river. How much do you think it costs to remove a morbidly obese teen from their bedroom littered with fast food wrappers, then hiring a big truck to transport he/she to the hospital, as opposed to getting someone out of a river?

Maybe everything is relative and says a lot more about our "current" nanny state, national mind set that it's okay to sit back, play games, twitter, watch TV, eat yourself to death, just so long as we don't make waves, than we want to admit.

Could be wrong, and my opinion only

http://www.nbcbayarea.com/news/loca...s-Jump-From-Golden-Gate-Bridge-117769468.html

Windsor is very near where I live. The teens were on a field trip which included a walk across the bridge. He jumped from one of the lower southern portions of the bridge and did not suffer any life threatening injuries.

He did it for fun - apparently a dare devil type.

What an idiot is all I have to say.

BBM (sqee)

He didn't jump from the highest point of the bridge. That, to me, says he wasn't trying to kill himself. He's 17, he's gotta know that more height = better chance of death.

Well, it takes more nerve than I have to jump off that bridge, and if he wanted to kill himself, it took more nerve to jump than eat himself to death.

Hero or not, I remember the line in the song, "Billie Joe McAllister jumped off the Talahatchie Bridge". Hero, or not to some, I can relate to guts/nerve, rightly or wrongly. What I cannot relate to is the constant concern about how much it costs to remove the body from the river. How much do you think it costs to remove a morbidly obese teen from their bedroom littered with fast food wrappers, then hiring a big truck to transport he/she to the hospital, as opposed to getting someone out of a river?

Maybe everything is relative and says a lot more about our "current" nanny state, national mind set that it's okay to sit back, play games, twitter, watch TV, eat yourself to death, just so long as we don't make waves, than we want to admit.

Could be wrong, and my opinion only

I fail to see what morbidly obese teens have to do with jumping off a bridge. The solution for morbidly obese teens would presumably be diet and exercise, and not jumping off bridges.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shmoozie
Back