780 users online (116 members and 664 guests)  

Websleuths News

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

FL-Parents upset over "sexual" quiz given to AP psych students

http://www.cbs12.com/articles/big-47...hard-down.html

link to the quiz
    http://www.cbs12.com/articles/quiz-4...-big-down.html

"The quiz, labeled a "sexual tension quiz" and apparently intended to be humorous, was given to about 25 students ages 16 to 18 in Rozanski's advanced placement psychology class."

MOO-It's nothing the kids haven't heard and I actually saw it on facebook myself and got a chuckle out of it... however.. I'm 30 years old. I DO NOT think it was appropriate for school at all and I usually give schools LOTS of leeway and tend to think parents get heated for no reason.. but I wouldn't be happy with this.
    Last edited by peeples; 03-12-2011 at 06:47 PM.

Some people just use no common sense at all.

Entirely inappropriate for students at an age that our society labels as children, and entirely inappropriate for a classroom setting of any kind. Yet another example of the decline of the American education system.

That being said, I can understand why the teacher is confused about appropriate material since prime time television targeting this age group is ripe with sexual innuendo as well as explicit sex content.

I expect teachers to have common sense. Common sense would clearly dictate that that is not an appropriate quiz.

hey I got them all correct. Guess it depends on where your mind is LOL.
    Quiz sounds like it came right out of prime time TV.

Seriously?

Some people are incredibly stupid. And need to grow up.

I assume since these kids are in AP classes they are probably quite bright. Apparently the same can not be said of their teacher! Despite the fact that these students are probably more intelligent than some of their schoolmates, they are still children and their intelect has nothing to do with their maturity level.

Bad form Teach
    Websleuths now on Facebook

Welcome to all new members. Thank you for joining the conversation. Please take a moment to become familiar with the TOS and rules, etiquette and information.

mni wiconi - Lakota for Water is Life.

Ok, the quiz reads like a frat house quiz meant to illicit giggles and dirty minded images. Not sure if it was school learning appropriate, but I can understand both sides arguments.

Quote Originally Posted by Cypros View Post
    Entirely inappropriate for students at an age that our society labels as children, and entirely inappropriate for a classroom setting of any kind. Yet another example of the decline of the American education system.

That being said, I can understand why the teacher is confused about appropriate material since prime time television targeting this age group is ripe with sexual innuendo as well as explicit sex content.
    WTF?

I was all set to defend the teacher on the ground that an AP class is a college-level course and different standards should apply.

But there's nothing in that test I would have given to students of mine at any age, not even grad students.

Maybe if it had been even slightly amusing...

Quote Originally Posted by Nova View Post
    WTF?

I was all set to defend the teacher on the ground that an AP class is a college-level course and different standards should apply.

But there's nothing in that test I would have given to students of mine at any age, not even grad students.

Maybe if it had been even slightly amusing...
    Exactly.

I have no objection to sex as a subject in high school courses. If handled properly, sex education can help young people to understand their own bodies and health and can gain experience discussing openly and maturely important issues such as contraception, sexual orientation, family planning, and sexual abuse. Unfortunately, this juvenile "quiz" works against the benefits of sex education.

If this is what they are spending time on in high school classes, I have a better understanding of why so many students are arriving at college ;acking proficiency in reading, writing and critical thinking. Even students who have had AP classes are often lacking in basic skills.

Nothing educational about the Quiz. Zip. Zero. Nil. I think the teacher in this classroom lacks personal boundaries with her students and that is something that I would be concerned about for my child.

I disagree. It's all about perspective!

The filth would be in the mind of the reader.

I would bet if you gave the quiz to a 1st grader they would have gotten more than a few of the answers correct.. So what does that say about society in general and the minds of 17 year old youth?

Nosy by Nature and a Websleuther by choice

I thought this was serious. Bah! All riddles and innuendo. It does exercise the brain, but other than that, I can't see a purpose in the classroom. Maybe in the hall?

This wasn't a sex education class, it was a psychology class.

"The principal at Dwyer says Rozanski gave the quiz because his psychology class was studying social norms and how social situations make people think a certain way. The teacher has been "disciplined," according to school officials, but they won't say how. He will not be fired.

Some parents find the whole thing hard to believe. "It's just sexual innuendo questions, kind of questions and I don't like that at all," one parent said."

I think its the parents that need to develop some 'critical thinking' skills. Personally, I don't see a problem with it. I think like many things these days, its all been blown totally out of out of proportion.

It reminds me of the table rattling incident in some ways. I honestly don't know why anyone would want to teach in these times. Its too dangerous.

Quote Originally Posted by JBean View Post
    hey I got them all correct. Guess it depends on where your mind is LOL.
    Quiz sounds like it came right out of prime time TV.
    I missed the peanut butter one, but got all the others correct. My mind is obviously in a very safe, clean place! (Poor Hubby!)

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast