FL-Parents upset over "sexual" quiz given to AP psych students

peeples

Reaction score
http://www.cbs12.com/articles/big-4731416-hard-down.html

link to the quiz
http://www.cbs12.com/articles/quiz-4731419-big-down.html

"The quiz, labeled a "sexual tension quiz" and apparently intended to be humorous, was given to about 25 students ages 16 to 18 in Rozanski's advanced placement psychology class."

MOO-It's nothing the kids haven't heard and I actually saw it on facebook myself and got a chuckle out of it... however.. I'm 30 years old. I DO NOT think it was appropriate for school at all and I usually give schools LOTS of leeway and tend to think parents get heated for no reason.. but I wouldn't be happy with this.

Entirely inappropriate for students at an age that our society labels as children, and entirely inappropriate for a classroom setting of any kind. Yet another example of the decline of the American education system.

That being said, I can understand why the teacher is confused about appropriate material since prime time television targeting this age group is ripe with sexual innuendo as well as explicit sex content.

I expect teachers to have common sense. Common sense would clearly dictate that that is not an appropriate quiz.

hey I got them all correct.:) Guess it depends on where your mind is LOL.
Quiz sounds like it came right out of prime time TV.

Seriously?

Some people are incredibly stupid. And need to grow up.

I assume since these kids are in AP classes they are probably quite bright. Apparently the same can not be said of their teacher! Despite the fact that these students are probably more intelligent than some of their schoolmates, they are still children and their intelect has nothing to do with their maturity level.

Bad form Teach

Ok, the quiz reads like a frat house quiz meant to illicit giggles and dirty minded images. Not sure if it was school learning appropriate, but I can understand both sides arguments.

Entirely inappropriate for students at an age that our society labels as children, and entirely inappropriate for a classroom setting of any kind. Yet another example of the decline of the American education system.

That being said, I can understand why the teacher is confused about appropriate material since prime time television targeting this age group is ripe with sexual innuendo as well as explicit sex content.

WTF?

I was all set to defend the teacher on the ground that an AP class is a college-level course and different standards should apply.

But there's nothing in that test I would have given to students of mine at any age, not even grad students.

Maybe if it had been even slightly amusing...

WTF?

I was all set to defend the teacher on the ground that an AP class is a college-level course and different standards should apply.

But there's nothing in that test I would have given to students of mine at any age, not even grad students.

Maybe if it had been even slightly amusing...

Exactly.

I have no objection to sex as a subject in high school courses. If handled properly, sex education can help young people to understand their own bodies and health and can gain experience discussing openly and maturely important issues such as contraception, sexual orientation, family planning, and sexual abuse. Unfortunately, this juvenile "quiz" works against the benefits of sex education.

If this is what they are spending time on in high school classes, I have a better understanding of why so many students are arriving at college ;acking proficiency in reading, writing and critical thinking. Even students who have had AP classes are often lacking in basic skills.

Nothing educational about the Quiz. Zip. Zero. Nil. I think the teacher in this classroom lacks personal boundaries with her students and that is something that I would be concerned about for my child.

I disagree. It's all about perspective!

The filth would be in the mind of the reader.

I would bet if you gave the quiz to a 1st grader they would have gotten more than a few of the answers correct.. So what does that say about society in general and the minds of 17 year old youth?

I thought this was serious. Bah! All riddles and innuendo. It does exercise the brain, but other than that, I can't see a purpose in the classroom. Maybe in the hall?

This wasn't a sex education class, it was a psychology class.

"The principal at Dwyer says Rozanski gave the quiz because his psychology class was studying social norms and how social situations make people think a certain way. The teacher has been "disciplined," according to school officials, but they won't say how. He will not be fired.

Some parents find the whole thing hard to believe. "It's just sexual innuendo questions, kind of questions and I don't like that at all," one parent said."

I think its the parents that need to develop some 'critical thinking' skills. Personally, I don't see a problem with it. I think like many things these days, its all been blown totally out of out of proportion.

It reminds me of the table rattling incident in some ways. I honestly don't know why anyone would want to teach in these times. Its too dangerous.

hey I got them all correct.:) Guess it depends on where your mind is LOL.
Quiz sounds like it came right out of prime time TV.

I missed the peanut butter one, but got all the others correct. My mind is obviously in a very safe, clean place! (Poor Hubby!)

I think why I am so upset by it is that it really is sort of a jokey sort of thing, with no educational value that I can see. I don't think it is EVER appropriate for students and teachers to interact in a jokey, lighthearted, uneducational way about sex. I think it blurs a very important (to me) line between student and teacher. IMO, we need those lines or we will have many more teachers and students crossing other "role" barriers with one another.

I realize my own personal baggage and history may make me hypersensitive to adults interacting with children about adult things.

I do not want my post to come of as trying to convince anyone of the rightness or wrongness of their own thoughts. I know I don't articulate my objection to this sort of teaching very well. Sex ed is one thing. Then, by all means educate them, be relatable but serious about a serious topic.

A joke test in an AP HS psych course just seems different to me.

I think the critical thinking skills taught by this particular test are minimal.

Last year, my niece was taking an Honors Classics course and she was given a similar exercise, one in which the teachings of ancient philosophers had been paraphrased as advertising slogans. THAT exercise required knowledge of ancient philosophy PLUS an ability to critically examine the language of modern marketing.

This wasn't a sex education class, it was a psychology class.

"The principal at Dwyer says Rozanski gave the quiz because his psychology class was studying social norms and how social situations make people think a certain way. The teacher has been "disciplined," according to school officials, but they won't say how. He will not be fired.

Some parents find the whole thing hard to believe. "It's just sexual innuendo questions, kind of questions and I don't like that at all," one parent said."

I think its the parents that need to develop some 'critical thinking' skills. Personally, I don't see a problem with it. I think like many things these days, its all been blown totally out of out of proportion.

It reminds me of the table rattling incident in some ways. I honestly don't know why anyone would want to teach in these times. Its too dangerous.

I have to agree with you. Contrary to what many seem to think, I think that the test was an excellent example of exactly what he was trying to demonstrate to the class. The class was studying social norms and how social situations affect our thinking. People's thinking is influenced by things in their society such as using sex to sell products. We have sex thrown at us constantly, in magazine ads, in television commercials and in movies which influences our thinking. Take the influence of that "sexual" thinking out of the equation and it is easy to come up with answers that have absolutely nothing to do with sex. The parents need to get a grip and grow up IMO. It was only a "sex" test if one wanted it to be based on their own thinking. Perhaps they need to clean up their own minds before they worry about anyone else.

Just to be clear: I think this exercise was a bad idea. I would not, however, fire the teacher over it. It was an AP class, after all, which is presumably college level.

Teachers make value judgments every day. I think we can disagree with one without canning an otherwise valuable instructor.

Well then. I don't see how I could have been offended at this being given to my 18 year old student...they would have been an adult, and therefore, well, adult, nuff said.

However, any teacher that gave this quiz to my sixteen year old, different story. I'd want their head on a platter. If I, as a parent, am sitting at home, trying to teach my child to think, speak, and act maturely about sex, then the last thing I need is some teacher using their eighth grade sense of humor to undermine what I am doing as a parent. Of course, I wouldn't have felt the same way in high school, since in high school, I protested the suspension of a teacher that told us "This quiz is easier than a drunk cheerleader on prom night".

I hate to say that he should be fired, since we do trust our children's teachers to make judgment calls, and sometimes, just like parents, they don't make the right ones, but this is a little overboard on the bad judgment scale. I'm sure there's some kind of sensitivity training they can give him, as well as a nice stern warning to be a bit more PC in the future.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dil2288
Back