Hugh Martin, "Have Yourself a Merry Little Christmas" Songwriter, Dies at 96

Dark Knight

Reaction score
"Have Yourself a Merry Little Christmas" songwriter Hugh Martin has died. He was 96.

Martin is best known for composing the score to the 1944 musical Meet Me In St. Louis, in whichJudy Garland famously performs the song that became a seasonal classic. Martin and songwriting partner Ralph Blane received an Academy Award nomination for Best Original Song for writing the film's "The Trolley Song." The duo also were nominated in 1947 for "Pass the Peace Pipe" from Good News.

http://omg.yahoo.com/news/hugh-mart...-little-christmas-songwriter-dies-at-96/58350

One of my favorite Christmas songs, RIP Hugh!

I like this song too! RIP

Thanks for posting this, DK. I'm reading a book now about someone who worked a lot with Hugh Martin in the past. Mr. Martin was interviewed for the book and is mentioned several times. I JUST Googled him last week to see if he was still alive! RIP.

Oh noooooooooooo. My mom and brother will be in mourning. What a talented man.

"Meet Me In St. Louis" is on my list of my top five fave films. "The Trolley Song". Classic production number. "Pass That Peace Pipe" again classic. I'm going to have to dig out the old DHS's and watch those films.

RIP Hugh Martin.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DazzelleShafer
Back