State v Bradley Cooper 3.14 .2011 - 3.?.??

Status
Not open for further replies.

otto

Verified Expert
Reaction score
Let's start a new week thread ... looking forward to more testimony - hopefully not more neighborhood gossip.

I don't believe he was sleeping when she got home (at midnight - that early?). I also don't believe it was premeditated (for the sake of planning it before, but I understand the state's charge of premeditation for strangulation and agree). It seems like it was an argument that escalated and then everything that happened next was planning to cover it up (exactly like SG spelled out in her recent post).

Re: the phone (VOIP or no-VOIP). I wonder if the defense is just trying to confuse the jury with the v-tech phone claim. My understanding of Voip is you can use whatever phone you want (hardware) as long as you have the connection to the computer line, no? If so, they could have a V-Tech phone (actual piece of hardware) on a Voip line. Is that possible?

Midnight, or even 10 o'clock, is not that unusual for someone that normally gets up at 6, works professionally, is upgrading degrees and works out. It isn't early for many people that are staying in. Why would he stay up until midnight unless he was angry and couldn't sleep?

Cover up is not evidence of pre-meditation.

It could have been an argument started by Nancy when she returned home. She had been drinking, and she was upset about not getting her allowance.

Here's part of Mr. Kurtz's opening statement I'm having trouble with. Almost at the very end he talks quickly about a tarp. IIRC he says BC bought it at Nancy's request the day before she went missing. He said Nancy called him and requested he pickup a tarp for the painting she was doing at Jessica's, and that we will see video of him buying the tarp and a photo of the unopened tarp.

SERIOUSLY?! BC went out of his way to pick up a tarp for work Nancy was doing at Jessica's?!

I recall during the custody depos he said he left work and the only place he stopped was Lowe's Food for beer and then went straight to the Duncan's.

Interesting, no?

I also recall Brad's lawyer state that Brad wasn't always truthful ... perhaps the reason previous statements have to be brought in ...

The tarp. That sounds like neighborhood gossip. It was not used in the murder, therefore it is not evidence of the murder. The prosecution seems to be trying to argue that it was highly unusual for Brad to buy something for Nancy. Buying gas, clothing for work, and ... painting equipment? Because she was on a tight budget, we are to believe that Brad could only have purchased the tarp because he intended to murder his wife ... but then instead decided to clean out the garage.

Back in 2008, we tracked the AT&T towers to check the triangulation of the cell coverage, and thus tracking capability. The HT , the vacant lot where body was dumped and the home were close enough that he was on the same tower the whole time. I bet he was smart enough to disable the GPS tracking that AM and thus the tracking would be within a large 3-4 mile area, not right to his home.

Who? So GPS could track him, but he was smart enough to rig phone calls ... not smart enough to disable GPS? Or smart enough to re-route GPS?

Found ANOTHER inconsistency regarding the tarp!

In listening to (Part 2) of Kurtz' opening, he claims no one knew Nancy had plans to paint at Jessica's, because Nancy had planned to take a run and then watch the girls while Brad played tennis with Mike Hiller @ 9:30am, so Nancy going over to JA's house wouldn't have made any sense. Plus he says JA didn't have the painting plans in her calender. So Kurtz is trying to claim that JA made this up in some way since other people thought Nancy would be running/exercising then watching the kids.

Hokay....

Then why again was Brad buying a TARP the night before? Supposedly he doesn't know about these painting plans. Kurtz claims the tarp is for Nancy to use when painting (at JA's house). Nancy wasn't painting at her own house. She didn't need a tarp. All supplies had already been purchased by JA.

Well you can't have it both ways...

Did Brad buy the tarp for Nancy or not? (NOT).

Did Brad know Nancy had plans to paint at JA's house? (I suspect he did not).

Was Brad okay with Nancy painting over at JA's house the few days before to earn some money? (He was NOT! In fact he refused to give her the weekly allowance because she already had earned some money).

Then why again would Brad purchase a tarp for Nancy for a painting job he didn't KNOW about and wouldn't approve of if he had known? (ummm....)

LIES LIES LIES by the defense.

So first he says that no one knew that she had painting plans that day so she went for a run (although this doesn't completely conflict with when she left ... 7 and expected back ...8:30?), and then his lawyer announces during opening arguments that the unused tarp was bought for her to paint? Sounds desperate. At the same time, her friends were under the imrpession that it was a secret - yet her husband knew?

I don't see why he wouldn't be okay with Nancy earning a bit ... and I can see why he would deduct that earning from her allowance (they were in divorce, finances were separate) - perhaps hoping that she was finally contributing financially.

Who? So GPS could track him, but he was smart enough to rig phone calls ... not smart enough to disable GPS? Or smart enough to re-route GPS?

Reread the post otto.....I said he likely disabled GPS on his cell phone.
Triangulation is the cell signal that can be tracked from the closest tower. This is often several miles, and thus the location that is registered with AT&T will be within a radius of several miles (HT, dump site and his home), not his pinpoint location as GPS would show.

So first he says that no one knew that she had painting plans that day so she went for a run (although this doesn't completely conflict with when she left ... 7 and expected back ...8:30?), and then his lawyer announces during opening arguments that the unused tarp was bought for her to paint? Sounds desperate. At the same time, her friends were under the imrpession that it was a secret - yet her husband knew?

I don't see why he wouldn't be okay with Nancy earning a bit ... and I can see why he would deduct that earning from her allowance (they were in divorce, finances were separate) - perhaps hoping that she was finally contributing financially.

This is a fresh thought and has not been vetted by too much reality checking, but I wonder if it might have played out like this.

NC Gets home and BC said something about getting the tarp for her painting Saturday (I know, unlikely, but stick with me a second). She has not told him anything about painting on Saturday, thereby discovering that he has been getting illicit copies of her e-mail. She is tipsy and already ticked off, so she lays into him, or plans to take the kids and leave then, but he - stops her.

I have never met BC, but what I see and some of the things I have picked up (Blog, etc.) seem to indicate that he feels pretty superior and thinks he is smarter than the average. He might be, but I can also see where this could cause a boiling rage when things are not going according to plan. An example, I know how to get the ISP to send a secret copy of mail from one account to another. There is no trace on the local computer, because the mail server is creating the copy. He had this in place for several months, and I am sure was laughing up his sleeve about how he was pulling one over on NC, if he slipped and said something, she would have been pretty ticked.

Kurtz will show video of him buying the tarp at Home Depot. I think his whole point was he was being a caring, helpful husband and this counters what the state said about being very mad she was doing painting for hire. They can say he bought the tarp for painting, but he did not know what specific day or time she planned to use it.

This is a fresh thought and has not been vetted by too much reality checking, but I wonder if it might have played out like this.

NC Gets home and BC said something about getting the tarp for her painting Saturday (I know, unlikely, but stick with me a second). She has not told him anything about painting on Saturday, thereby discovering that he has been getting illicit copies of her e-mail. She is tipsy and already ticked off, so she lays into him, or plans to take the kids and leave then, but he - stops her.

I have never met BC, but what I see and some of the things I have picked up (Blog, etc.) seem to indicate that he feels pretty superior and thinks he is smarter than the average. He might be, but I can also see where this could cause a boiling rage when things are not going according to plan. An example, I know how to get the ISP to send a secret copy of mail from one account to another. There is no trace on the local computer, because the mail server is creating the copy. He had this in place for several months, and I am sure was laughing up his sleeve about how he was pulling one over on NC, if he slipped and said something, she would have been pretty ticked.
Sounds good to me -- I think I am not doing a lot or hard-core reality-checking myself.... I'm not up on the ISP copy part (I'm a retired mainframe programmer/analyst of 30+ years) but your scenario is much like what I imagined.... NC's a bit tipsy and she has just "had-it" with BC and his near-adolescent (read "sociopathic" IMO) cruelty and superiority and gas-buying, etc., etc., and things just take off from there. It had to have gotten started somehow like you present, IMO....

Witness Ross T. attended <walked to> Duncan party.

Was a friend to Nancy...kids attended same daycare...saw Brad occasionally at neighborhood events. Visited each others homes occasionally.

Brad was responsible for care of Bella and Katie @ the party.

Katie became fussy, Nancy told Brad to "figure it out".

Brad left before many of other guests to go put Katie to bed.

Spoke to Nancy one on one, was aware Nancy was planning on moving back to Canada, then that plans were cancelled.

Nancy said they were in separate bedrooms, relationship was like a pendulum...swung between tolerable and hate, at night of party was hate mode.

She painted Jessicas home for money and Brad had found out and with held weekly money.

After Brad Katie Bella left party Mike H. approached and asked about tennis with Brad.

Nancy made call to Brad for Mike to schedule tennis.

Present when Nancy made plans w/ Jessica to paint again.

He just confirmed Brad had tennis plans on Saturday. And confirmed that Nancy had plans to paint on Saturday. ?????

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CarpSleuth