Japan: 9.0 Earthquake-Tsunami-Nuclear Reactor Developments #2

Status
Not open for further replies.

nursebeeme

Reaction score
8:02 p.m. ET A third blast in four days rocked the quake-damaged Fukushima Dai-ichi nuclear plant early Tuesday, the country's nuclear safety agency reported.

The explosion at Dai-ichi Unit 2 -- at 6:10 a.m. Tuesday local time -- followed two hydrogen explosions as authorities try to avoid a catastrophic release of radiation in the tsunami-devastated area, The Associated Press reported.

Plant owner Tokyo Electric Power Co. said the blast happened near the suppression pool in the reactor's containment vessel. The pool was later found to have a defect. The company said some employees were temporarily evacuated following Tuesday's explosion.

http://www.pbs.org/newshour/rundown...clear-plant-at-least-10000-believed-dead.html

Thread#1

Japan's nightmare gets even WORSE: All THREE damaged nuclear reactors now in 'meltdown' at tsunami-hit power station
By RICHARD SHEARS
Last updated at 5:09 PM on 14th March 2011
Comments (168)
Videos
Add to My Stories

Fuel rods appear to be melting inside three over-heating reactors
Experts class development as 'partial meltdown'
Molten fuel could burn through reactor safety shields
Earlier blast at Fukushima nuclear plant felt 25 miles away
Eleven workers injured after hydrogen ignited
180,000 people have been evacuated from the area
Engineers desperately trying to cool reactors with sea water
Up to 160 people so far exposed to radiation

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...plosion-rips-nuclear-plant.html#ixzz1GbKyHZEc

This is the article with peeples map.

Ok - just heard another lil tidbit.

She said that 3200 micro sievert per hour was measured at 9PM last night and that 3200 was 6 times the normal level.

Sooooooooo, 8217 would be almost 3 times higher or 18 TIMES normal levels. Me thinks that is very very dangerous.

Off hand I don't know what the radiation reports mean in measurement, not wrapped my head around it yet.

BREAKING NEWS: Radiation at Fukushima plant briefly hits 8,217 micro sievert per hour: TEPCO

BREAKING NEWS: TEPCO detects radiation of 8,217 micro sievert per hour, 8 times annual limit

BREAKING NEWS: Water level rises to cover 1.2 m of No. 2 reactor's fuel rods: TEPCO

Blast heard at Fukushima's No.2 reactor: gov't

NEWS ADVISORY: 1,300 people isolated in Kesennuma, Miyagi Pref.

BREAKING NEWS: Lower pressure after blast suggests damage to suppression pool: agency

BREAKING NEWS: Lower pressure after blast triggers damage to suppression pool: agency

BREAKING NEWS: Radioactive materials feared to be leaking: safety agency

BREAKING NEWS: Higher radiation levels measured in Ibaraki -- south of Fukushima

BREAKING NEWS: Some workers begin to evacuate No. 2 reactor: TEPCO

AT&T, Verison offer free int'l calling, text messages to Japan

BREAKING NEWS: Radiation tops legal limit after blast heard at Fukushima nuke plant

http://english.kyodonews.jp/news/

URGENT: Blast heard at Fukushima's No.2 reactor: gov't

omg... Thank you for posting the free calling from Verizon. I'm bawling just knowing this. (I'm on Verizon.) I've been trying to call my friend every day using Vopium on my BlackBerry and it just doesn't work. The program is fine but I think his cell is toast at this point, and the restaurant varies but nothing. Nobody.

Ok - just heard another lil tidbit.

She said that 3200 micro sievert per hour was measured at 9PM last night and that 3200 was 6 times the normal level.

Sooooooooo, 8217 would be almost 3 times higher or 18 TIMES normal levels. Me thinks that is very very dangerous.

This is starting to move out of the realm of my understanding.

Let me say this now, before anything worse happens. IF there is danger of a cloud going 'round and 'round and dumping radiation on the earth with every turn, take care with your young children - the ones roughly under 7, the ones who's thyroid glands are not finished growing. It is my understanding, from my cancerous daughter, that thyroid cancer gets in there prior while before the thyroid is finished growing. Perhaps nurse can help out on this one.

I'm not sure how anyone can protect them, but it might be worthwhile to look into it.

Don't mean to be Debbie Downer, or a rabble rouser, just saying, read up on it and take care - IF this develops into something as bad as Chernobyl.

Wow, I've never seen semantics applied like I have for this. Explosion is now "a sound", evacuation of operators is now "temporary". Keeps stating radiation level from last night before this recent incident.

ETA: they are calling an explosion a "big sound"

all these semantics are for panic control imhoo..

not.

working.

eta: if a nuclear reactor with the rods exposed is making a "big sound"... man... I have no words at all...

do they realize that we are not sheeple?

I like their high tech picture board. lol

cnn live: they are saying that all operators not involved in water injection have been evacuated

Kind of OT... There are cancer clusters east of TMI #2 that most people don't know about... and that was a small leak...

Oh, and it's not from the radiation... btw... sure it's not.

Same where I grew up -- we have a much higher cancer rate than the rest of the U.S. I was 6 years old and living 15 miles away when this accidental release of tritium occurred:

Significant quantities of radiation have also leaked into the environment. In 1974 the operators of the huge Savannah River weapons facility at Aiken, South Carolina, accidentally released some 435,000 curies of radioactive tritium in a single day--the largest single tritium emission ever reported in the U.S. Studies of the local water system show serious contamination, and there are preliminary indications of an escalated cancer rate among people living near the plant.

http://www.ratical.org/radiation/KillingOurOwn/KOO8.html

they just said there are cracks where liquid could leak out

cnn live

Man, watching the news is just making me want to CRY! People are hungry. Bodies are strewn around with no way to dispose of them. Humanitarians can't get in there. And those who ARE brave enough to go in are putting their own lives at risk because of the nuclear plants.

This is just beyond horrible!

:praying:

Man, I am getting PO'd at the doubletalk.

965.5 microsievert ((current reading)) near the crack

cnn live

Wow.... this news just keeps getting worse! If the No. 3 reactor core has been breached and radioactive water has "leaked" out, that means problems for a long, long, time. I sure hope it doesn't get into the groundwater because that could spread the contamination to a large area of Japan! I can't even imagine how they are going to have to clean up radioactive water... it will leave everything it touches contaminated. Does anyone have any knowledge about the water tables and source of drinking water in Japan?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zipperoni