Page 15 of 59 FirstFirst ... 5678910111213141516171819202122232425 ... LastLast

Thread: Japan: 9.0 Earthquake-Tsunami-Nuclear Reactor Developments #2

Not meaning to be a purveyor of panic of doom and gloom, but I do have something to say.

First, I, personally, do not believe everything I hear. Me, and my children sat there, like sitting ducks when the Chernobyl cloud went over us. We lived up north, almost in a direct line from that cloud. No one really warned us or told us what to do. Possibly, as a consequence, my youngest child now has incurable cancer. Let me reiterate - we sat there like a bunch of stupid sheep, not knowing what to do.

Now, I realize most of the pundits are saying this won't affect us. Sounds good, and I pray that's the truth - who knows.

What I'm trying to say is this - check with your health department, doctor, pediatrician, ask what steps can be taken to protect your children, those whose thyroid glands are not fully developed yet. Yeah, I know they'll say, "don't worry, be happy," but the problem is your health and the health of your children is in the balance. There's still time, call around, find out, do not let your children suffer because you believed everything you heard.

Let me say in advance that I'm sorry to have to say this, and I only say this to spare someone, somewhere from the horrors that may be a possibility.

Sometimes I feel like John the Baptist.

2. The Following 15 Users Say Thank You to Trident For This Useful Post:

I caught part of Nightline last night, and they showed in one area, the only sign of life was a horse standing at the side of the road, just staring them down...and all I could think of were the bands of wild horses that now run wild in Chernobyl and Pripyat.

Sorry, I'm tired and that was a random thought.
    JMO. Unless there's a link, I can't prove it.

4. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to not_my_kids For This Useful Post:

Obama Stands by Nuclear Power

WASHINGTON—Obama administration officials Monday brushed aside calls for a freeze on new U.S. nuclear power development, and sought to reassure the public the nation's nuclear facilities are safe and the threat of harmful radiation reaching U.S. soil from Japan is minimal.

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB1000...DDLETopStories

We should freeze new nuclear power plants until we better understand how to contain these meltdowns. What happens if an earthquake hits here in the U.S. near one of our nuclear sites if we're this worried about a meltdown this far away?

6. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Reality Orlando For This Useful Post:

Well, here is what I am going to do - just because I feel I have to do something. I am going this afternoon and purchasing a few cases of water, making sure I have some rice and beans, and getting some extra Vitamin D. There are some studies that suggest Vitamin D may help protect against cancer. I would not take more than the recommended amount because that would be stupid. It can't hurt to take these few steps, and I will feel better for having done something.

8. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Reannan For This Useful Post:

I found this about the herb Rosemary to help with radiation poisoning. Also I posted earler somewhere that Kelp was helpful.

http://www.naturalnews.com/026079_ro...er_health.html

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to hockeymom For This Useful Post:

A sliver of good news: Two Dogs Defy the Wave

"Two days after the earthquake, Mr. Kikuchi ventured out from the evacuation center where his family had reunited unharmed. He walked in rubber boots on the debris-covered roads still covered in floodwater with his feet sinking in the thick mud below.

When he finally got to the house, sidestepping a car that had shifted to block the entrance to the driveway, he could hear the barking.

"I was happy to see them because I had felt badly about leaving them behind," said Mr. Kikuchi. He gave them water, food and brought them inside after cleaning them up."

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB1000...710073008.html

12. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Reality Orlando For This Useful Post:

Regular iodine in controlled doses can help prevent radioactive iodine (one of the byproducts in the "possibly" boiling containment pool) from entering the body and attacking the thyroid. And always clean water, as much radioactive material passes through urine, and the more you clean the system, the more you flush out and dilute. MOO.

14. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to not_my_kids For This Useful Post:

Officials Report Progress at Nuclear Plant

"Japanese officials appeared to have regained some control of a troubled nuclear power plant, at least for now, after spikes in radiation levels that followed a new explosion at one reactor and a fire at another put the nation on high alert."

http://online.wsj.com/public/page/ne...nav_world_main

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Reality Orlando For This Useful Post:

I saw some nuclear expert on MSNBC,and they asked him what would happen if the 50 workers decide to leave. The guy had difficulty even answering.He did not want to even say. All he said is that "difficult decisions would have to be made". What does that mean? Also the other guest who is with some nuclear watchdog group says,this is no longer a Japanese issue it is an International issue.
    So how long until radiation gets to the US? Seriously, I want to know exactly what wll happen and exactly how long it will be until th ewind blows this way!! I'm seriously frightened for my friends and relatives on the West coast.

18. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to hockeymom For This Useful Post:

We can only hope this is a realistic assessment, but I will note it was written by a guy pushing for alternative energy:

Japan Does Not Face Another Chernobyl

"The containment structures appear to be working, and the latest reactor designs aren't vulnerable to the coolant problem at issue here."

"On all Generation II reactors—the ones currently in operation—the cooling water is circulated by electric pumps. The new Generation III reactors such as the AP1000 have a simplified "passive" cooling system where the water circulates by natural convection with no pumping required.

If the pumps are knocked out in a Generation II reactor—as they were at Fukushima Daiichi by the tsunami—the water in the cooling system can overheat and evaporate. The resulting steam increases internal pressure that must be vented. There was a small release of radioactive steam at Three Mile Island in 1979, and there have also been a few releases at Fukushima Daiichi. These produce radiation at about the level of one dental X-ray in the immediate vicinity and quickly dissipate.

If the coolant continues to evaporate, the water level can fall below the level of the fuel rods, exposing them. This will cause a meltdown, meaning the fuel rods melt to the bottom of the steel pressure vessel."

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB1000...p_mostpop_read

20. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Reality Orlando For This Useful Post:

This is the latest update from the IAEA. More to this update and previous updates at link:

Japanese Earthquake Update (15 March 11:25 UTC)
    Fukushima Daiichi Nuclear Power Plant Update

Radiation Dose Rates Observed at the Site
    The Japanese authorities have informed the IAEA that the following radiation dose rates have been observed on site at the main gate of the Fukushima Daiichi Nuclear Power Plant.
    At 00:00 UTC on 15 March a dose rate of 11.9 millisieverts (mSv) per hour was observed. Six hours later, at 06:00 UTC on 15 March a dose rate of 0.6 millisieverts (mSv) per hour was observed.
    These observations indicate that the level of radioactivity has been decreasing at the site.

http://www.iaea.org/newscenter/news/...iupdate01.html

22. The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to JBean For This Useful Post:

Well I hope the wsj is right. Now the danger level has been upgraded to a 6 out of 7. Chernobyl was a 7,three Mile Island was a 5. I don't believe anyone,and I don't think anyone really knows whats going on in Japan. Power company is not forthcoming.

24. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to hockeymom For This Useful Post:

gypsyblue is offline this is not what Haleigh would have wanted
    HLN just said an earthquake has hit Tokyo, not an aftershock....anyone else catch this? off to find....
    QQQQQQQQQQ~nightmare the cat

26. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to gypsyblue For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by hockeymom View Post
    Well I hope the wsj is right. Now the danger level has been upgraded to a 6 out of 7. Chernobyl was a 7,three Mile Island was a 5. I don't believe anyone,and I don't think anyone really knows whats going on in Japan. Power company is not forthcoming.
    I totally agree. I don't understand why our government isn't issuing statements to reassure the American people. We've yet to hear from our president...I don't remember ever before a time when our president did not at least hold a press conference long before where we are now to touch base with us and enlighten us as to what is really going on which leaves me to believe one of two things: either this adminstration is incapable of gathering intelligence in a timely manner or things are much worse than anyone is letting on and the White House is postponing the news as long as possible until they can put things in place to deal with the panic that will follow. Either way, I find it appalling.
    Last edited by Reality Orlando; 03-15-2011 at 09:59 AM.

28. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Reality Orlando For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by gypsyblue View Post
    HLN just said an earthquake has hit Tokyo, not an aftershock....anyone else catch this? off to find....
    OMG, no.

I don't think our government knows what is going on...therefore they are opting to stay silent.

31. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to not_my_kids For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by hockeymom View Post
    I found this about the herb Rosemary to help with radiation poisoning. Also I posted earler somewhere that Kelp was helpful.

http://www.naturalnews.com/026079_ro...er_health.html
    My garden has plenty of rosemary growing..I always use it for cooking and herbal tinctures, as for bug bites, etc..

thanks for the link

eta, im praying for the people and animals in Japan
    my other car is a broomstick

Q: What's the best advice you can give to a witch on a broomstick?

A: Don't fly off the handle!

33. The Following User Says Thank You to imawitch For This Useful Post:

Death toll rises, stocks plunge, foreigners flee as nuclear crisis escalates

TOKYO — Torn up and terrified by a disaster that keeps on getting worse, Japan has transformed in just four days from one of the world’s most comfortable countries into one of its most distressed

Thousands of people along the northeastern coast of Asia’s richest country are dead, and tens of thousands have gone days with little food, little water and almost no heat. Their towns have been demolished into soggy fields.
    And Tuesday, amid an escalating nuclear emergency, a dangerous plume of radioactive material leaked from a coastal power plant, causing panic among stock traders, triggering evacuation orders from foreign companies and generating a deep sense of unease among millions of residents concerned about radiation exposure.
    http://www.washingtonpost.com/world/...ieW_story.html

35. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to JBean For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by not_my_kids View Post
    I don't think our government knows what is going on...therefore they are opting to stay silent.
    How can the U. S. Government NOT know? It's called Intelligence gathering. I can't recall any other disaster where we didn't hear from our President within a short time after the occurance simply to touch base with the American people. I feel lost...like there's no one manning the ship.

37. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Reality Orlando For This Useful Post:

yes, another, M5.8 - If I'm reading the map right.
    http://earthquake.usgs.gov/earthquak...usc00023fq.php

39. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to not_my_kids For This Useful Post:

I am not a sheeple and i want an independent source to go look at what they can see and take radiation level samples etc.. then report back to the people of Japan and the world... with the truth

41. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to peeples For This Useful Post:

43. The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Adrienne37 For This Useful Post:

http://earthquake.usgs.gov/earthquak...egion/Asia.php

Earthquake Details

• This event has been reviewed by a seismologist.
    Magnitude6.1Date-Time
    • Tuesday, March 15, 2011 at 13:31:46 UTC
    • Tuesday, March 15, 2011 at 10:31:46 PM at epicenter
    Location35.322°N, 138.552°EDepth1 km (~0.6 mile) set by location programRegionEASTERN HONSHU, JAPANDistances
    • 40 km (25 miles) NNE (20°) from Shizuoka, Honshu, Japan
    • 42 km (26 miles) S (182°) from Kofu, Honshu, Japan
    • 104 km (65 miles) NE (48°) from Hamamatsu, Honshu, Japan
    • 115 km (72 miles) WSW (251°) from TOKYO, Japan
    Location Uncertaintyhorizontal +/- 12.4 km (7.7 miles); depth fixed by location programParametersNST=364, Nph=368, Dmin=139.1 km, Rmss=0.71 sec, Gp= 40°,
    M-type=teleseismic moment magnitude (Mw), Version=ASource
    Event IDusc00023fx

45. The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to JBean For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by not_my_kids View Post
    yes, another, M5.8 - If I'm reading the map right.
    http://earthquake.usgs.gov/earthquak...usc00023fq.php
    Followed by a 6.1 four minutes later a little further south.

http://earthquake.usgs.gov/earthquak...usc00023fx.php
    HANNAH GRAHAM TIP LINE (434) 295-3851
    EMAIL: CPDtips@charlottesville.org

Muddy water in the street
    ; Muddy water 'round my feet... as sung by the inimitable Bessie Smith, "Muddy Water (A Mississippi Moan)"

47. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to bessie For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Reality Orlando View Post
    How can the U. S. Government NOT know? It's called Intelligence gathering. I can't recall any other disaster where we didn't hear from our President within a short time after the occurance simply to touch base with the American people. I feel lost...like there's no one manning the ship.
    How can they know? Intelligence gathering is one thing. You monitir the media, you interview, you send people into the affected/suspect area, and you investigate the outcome/consequences of past similar incidents.

In this case, that's not possible. The media is all over the place, the Japanese government is desperate to try and keep their economic infrastructure intact, which does not lend itself to truthfulness, we aren't barging in unless we are invited, there is no one to interview that is likely to be honest at this point, the affected area is too dangerous to send anyone into or over, since there is a no fly zone, and there has never been an incident quite like this one for comparison. (Chernobyl, I feel is a weak comparison, and if there is full meltdown of three reactors, will be considered tiny in comparison.)

Maybe in light of the fact that there is no news to report, they are afraid of having to resort to the same doubletalk that the japanese government is using. Or they are afraid of inciting further panic by saying they don't know what will happen, and subscribing to the no news is good news theory.

49. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to not_my_kids For This Useful Post:

Page 15 of 59 FirstFirst ... 5678910111213141516171819202122232425 ... LastLast