784 users online (82 members and 702 guests)  

Websleuths News

Page 3 of 77 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 13 53 ... LastLast
    Thanks, That's a much longer time span then I realized a very long time. they all went missing when the Weather was warm. That Call may not mean anything it's hard to tell. But MSG and Times Square are right in the Middle of Manhattan, traveling from Manhattan all the way out to the Island is not something a City Person does. I mean if you hang out in the City and Know who's who on the Street it's because your from the City. Going to long island is the same as going to Florida. Everything is in the City already. People come into Manhattan. The Girls I could understand going out to the Island to meet someone, outcall. One thing The Train that goes out to the island Leaves from MSG/ Penn Station. As for the Burlap Bag where did that info come from? That's not something LE is going Leak, each Girl 4 Burlap Bags. Or was it one of the girls? it is a clue, a big one. If you have a House on the Island there would be a reason to have that type of Bag even if it was old, the bag. Someone in the City isn't going to have that in the Apartment.

Righteous1, The information about the burlap bags is from an article in the case archives link. It is titled 4 Women were Probably victims of Serial Killer, N.Y. officials Say. It is dated Jan 25, 2011 and I found it on pg 2. (Sorry IDK how to bring it over here)

Also, Amber Costello was the only one who lived on LI according to the article. I just wanted to clarify that. (She is originally from Wilmington NC). Hope this helps.

wm
    ...and be sure your sin will find you out.

Numbers,32:23

OK thanks, Those Bags could be used for Seafood.

I wonder if the authorities can tell if the bags were used for seafood. It seems like there would be a stench to them but maybe that is the killers MO to cover up decomp odor. It is likely that there are fish remnants in the bags if that is the case, ie. fish scales, oyster shell remnants.

This is a good suggestion righteous1. I have thought that the killer may be a truck or delivery driver with a route from the city to LI or vice versa. Maybe he delivers fish to restaurants and fish markets.

As a matter of fact, my son owns a seafood biz. He delivers NC seafood to the gulf states (he started this biz after the gulf oil spill occured) and has a refrigerated truck.
    I will ask him if his different types of seafood is separated into burlap bags.

This killer is mobile for sure based on the calls from the city and the location of the bodies. What would be a better way to transport a dead body than a refrigerated truck?
    Great thinking Righteous! I am glad you joined us here.

All MOO

wm

I sent a message to my son via facebook asking him about the burlap sacks. He is en route to AL so I didn't want to distract him from driving that truck by calling

I also asked him if I can have one if he does indeed pack his fish in this way. I am 5' tall and want to see if I can fit into one. Will let you all know when I hear from him but it may be a day or two. Thanks, wm

Quote Originally Posted by waltzingmatilda View Post
    I sent a message to my son via facebook asking him about the burlap sacks. He is en route to AL so I didn't want to distract him from driving that truck by calling

I also asked him if I can have one if he does indeed pack his fish in this way. I am 5' tall and want to see if I can fit into one. Will let you all know when I hear from him but it may be a day or two. Thanks, wm
    Wow, waltzingmatilda, I like your dedication! Let us know what you find out. My question is did they say burlap bags in the reports or just burlap and does burlap come in rolls? I don't know why it would matter exactly and I don't really trust reporters with details like that anyway but I feel like bags vs. rolls would have different uses in different occupations (like clamming vs. landscaping or something). To answer my own question thanks to google, it does come in rolls or bags. I agree that the burlap over the years is EXTREMELY relevant to this case, wish they released more details about it. Was it two or three of the girls in it? I remember hearing it wasn't all of them. I wonder which of them it was (from a timeline perpective). Also, I'm gonna look up how burlap biodegrades... seems like a substance that would almost disappear into the soil after time.

http://www.gardenguides.com/115892-l...ernatives.html

Interesting bit on burlap taken from the above gardening website, bolding added by me because the wording stood out to me:

"Buy burlap by the yard. It won't last as long as landscape fabric but will do the job of allowing moisture to reach the landscaping plants and smothering weeds while allowing the plants to grow. Since the burlap is brown it looks like dirt from a distance and may not need to be covered with mulch to disguise it. Like newspapers, burlap will eventually decompose."

Seems like a "good" (for lack of a better word) substance to use to transport and dispose of a body outside, especially in an area such as the place these women were discovered as it's durable, camouflages with nature, and eventually disappears.
    Last edited by svpernin; 03-23-2011 at 11:41 AM. Reason: typo

Thanks svpernin! Please let us know what you learn about the burlap. What sizes are the bags? The sizes of the sheets,rolls etc.

The article dated Jan. 25, 2011 on the photobucket archive that Amandareckonwith has compiled for us states......ALL were WRAPPED in burlap. (It's on pg 2 of #17)

If the bodies were WRAPPED, then I would think landscaping. If they were placed in burlap bags, then I lean towards the fishing industry.

I wish we knew more. I don't always trust the media reporting these days. MOO

wm

Quote Originally Posted by svpernin View Post
    http://www.gardenguides.com/115892-l...ernatives.html

Interesting bit on burlap taken from the above gardening website, bolding added by me because the wording stood out to me:

"Buy burlap by the yard. It won't last as long as landscape fabric but will do the job of allowing moisture to reach the landscaping plants and smothering weeds while allowing the plants to grow. Since the burlap is brown it looks like dirt from a distance and may not need to be covered with mulch to disguise it. Like newspapers, burlap will eventually decompose."

Seems like a "good" (for lack of a better word) substance to use to transport and dispose of a body outside, especially in an area such as the place these women were discovered as it's durable, camouflages with nature, and eventually disappears.
    You go svpernin! Great info! This information makes me think someone familiar with landscaping techniques planned the disposals. Perhaps someone who landscapes for a municipality or the state who maintains the roadside growth and has access to a truck and wears a uniform which wouldn't arouse suspicion for bypassing motorists during the disposal.?! Just typing out loud....

I agree it sounds like a 'good' substance to use for such a crime. I will not be surprised to learn, when this perp is caught (and he will be) that this person is also of small stature. JMO.

wm

You go svpernin! Great info! This information makes me think someone familiar with landscaping techniques planned the disposals. Perhaps someone who landscapes for a municipality or the state who maintains the roadside growth and has access to a truck and wears a uniform which wouldn't arouse suspicion for bypassing motorists during the disposal.?! Just typing out loud....

I agree it sounds like a 'good' substance to use for such a crime. I will not be surprised to learn, when this perp is caught (and he will be) that this person is also of small stature. JMO.

wm
    ps....apologies for the above run on sentence

http://www.bestpakcompany.com/burlap_bags.htm

just based on this site, it looks like they come in a wide range of sizes... the potato sack race ones are big enough to hold a person and I'd venture to say conceal an entire petite person in a crouched or fetal position for sure (the big ones on this site are 23.5 X 40). I work better in terms of feet and that's about 2 feet by 3.

wm
    I totally agree, I don't think this is gonna end up being a big guy. And I am sure they'll catch him sooner rather than later. Interesting thought about municipal landscaping, it'd be the perfect cover for disposal.

What are the theories on when these bodies were dumped? All at once (or in same short timespan) in months before they were discovered after being moved from another site? Or do you think they were there all along and dumped as they were killed? Either is plausible I think. I don't think they were in a noticeable place with much if any foot traffic as it was the side of a parkway and not too close to any pedestrian beaches (surprised I haven't driven out there yet to check for myself... I was waiting til it got warmer to see if I could look around the area WITH A BIG STRONG MAN AND PEPPER SPRAY (for any potential stalkers out there) and the burlap obviously helped conceal them. I'd like to know how extensive the initial search for Shannan was though, I feel like they should have found the bodies back then if they were there. Then again, the search details are SO SKETCHY AND CONFLICTING as are reports on Shannan's disappearance.

Sidenote, cause I'm posting like a maniac today, My job often allows me tons of free time to websurf so I figure causes like this are the best dedication of that time. I sincerely think that people like us on WS in this day and age can likely find things online in that LE hasn't found or connected yet.

http://www.bestpakcompany.com/burlap_bags.htm

just based on this site, it looks like they come in a wide range of sizes... the potato sack race ones are big enough to hold a person and I'd venture to say conceal an entire petite person in a crouched or fetal position for sure (the big ones on this site are 23.5 X 40). I work better in terms of feet and that's about 2 feet by 3.
    Oh my! I didn't even think about the potato sack races. This brings back memories of our Field Day event when I was teaching elementary school. I now have another potential suspect to add to our list....elementary school PE teacher.

The PE teachers that I worked with all kept their supplies under lock and key. They would pull out much of the equipment needed for field day once per year. Some was used in PE lessons as well as field day. Teachers in NC receive a supplement once per year for supplies. 4 burlap bags going missing over a 2 year period would be nothing based on my experience of continuously replacing supplies that went missing. (Also, most (not all)of the male PE teachers I worked with were horndogs.) No disrespect intended as my experience is not meant to reflect the dedicated professionals as a whole.

maybe we should begin a list of potential suspects based on the evidence we have....the danged BURLAP!

Landscaper
    Fisherman
    Seafood industry
    Truckdriver/delivery person
    PE instructor

Everyone, please add to this list with your own thoughts and ideas! We can amend and omit later if more info comes out.

wm

They also use burlap for those huge slides at carnivals, which are every where on LI from the early summer to fall months.

I totally agree, I don't think this is gonna end up being a big guy. And I am sure they'll catch him sooner rather than later. Interesting thought about municipal landscaping, it'd be the perfect cover for disposal.

What are the theories on when these bodies were dumped? All at once (or in same short timespan) in months before they were discovered after being moved from another site? Or do you think they were there all along and dumped as they were killed? Either is plausible I think. I don't think they were in a noticeable place with much if any foot traffic as it was the side of a parkway and not too close to any pedestrian beaches (surprised I haven't driven out there yet to check for myself... I was waiting til it got warmer to see if I could look around the area WITH A BIG STRONG MAN AND PEPPER SPRAY (for any potential stalkers out there) and the burlap obviously helped conceal them. I'd like to know how extensive the initial search for Shannan was though, I feel like they should have found the bodies back then if they were there. Then again, the search details are SO SKETCHY AND CONFLICTING as are reports on Shannan's disappearance.

Sidenote, cause I'm posting like a maniac today, My job often allows me tons of free time to websurf so I figure causes like this are the best dedication of that time. I sincerely think that people like us on WS in this day and age can likely find things online in that LE hasn't found or connected yet.
    Yes!! BE sure to have A BIG STRONG MAN AND SOME PEPPER SPRAY when you go LOL! It would be great to hear your description of the area.

I remember reading in one of the articles in the photobucket link that one of the ladies bodies was skeletonized but I cannot remember who.

All the articles are there and they are sequenced from last to first. I have only read the first 2 pages so the info should be there.

I would also like to thank Amandareckonwith for taking the time to archive everything for us with just a click of the mouse! A GREAT resource for us.

I guess I should add municipal worker to the suspect list....

MOO wm

Page 3 of 77 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 13 53 ... LastLast