State v. Bradley Cooper 03/16/11

Status
Not open for further replies.

less0305

The face is familiar, but I can't quite remember m
Reaction score
Website
Visit site
Hope it's okay that I started today's thread.

Jeremy Bergin - Police Officer Cary P.D. first up. In K-9 unit.
Edit to add:
Since 2005 in K-9 Unit.

Partner is Max - German Shepherd from Czech Republic.

Responded at 8pm to try to track for missing Nancy. After 12, 13 hours there were many people who had been in the house and around the house so he needed an item from Nancy to give to Max so that he would follow that odor and that odor only. He told Detective on scene he needed an item with her scent. 10 to 20 police officers and significant citizens on scene. 25 to 40 people around the area. Typically they track freshest odor. But could not track freshest odor. In this instance this is why he needed an item with Nancy's scent.

Contamination and time delay was going to make the track difficult. The closest item to an individual is best. He asked for items she may have been wearing night before because it would have been closest to what she smelled like. A shoe that is used over and over would have an odor signature that would be distinctive to her. Did not receive any clothing from night before. Detective got a running shoe.

At the time of track no one was in yard except BC and the detective, he and the dog. BC had gone in house to retrieve the shoe for detective. Max spent time with the shoe and then he gave command to track. Spent a few seconds in the yard and then over to the driveway, near a fence, and then back to the yard. This was casting - where he is just getting used to the scent - NOT tracking here. He was just looking for the odor that was presented in the shoe. Max never entered into the tracking mode. Max never indicated he found the odor and go into track mode.

Max went back to the steps to go into the house. P.O. pulled him back into the yard. Max went back to the steps to the house. P.O. pulled him back again. Again Max went to the house and to the stairs. P.O. found that Max's strongest odor was coming from inside the house and not out in the yard. Police knew she was not currently in the house and so they terminated because they were unable to pick up a track.

Do you have to be alive for the dog to pick up scent? I missed that part.

Max went back to the steps to go into the house. P.O. pulled him back into the yard. Max went back to the steps to the house. P.O. pulled him back again. Again Max went to the house and to the stairs. P.O. found that Max's strongest odor was coming from inside the house and not out in the yard. Police knew she was not currently in the house and so they terminated because they were unable to pick up a track.
Officer was working a missing persons case at this time.

Cross - Didn't you put in your narrative that it was closer to 14 hours since missing person last seen? Yes.

Brad appears relaxed this morning. Smiling and chatting with councel.

When my dog passed, my vet clinic made a contribution to Cary's K9 unit in my dog's name and I got a thank you letter (from the Cary PD).

I'm so glad monies are donated for this program. The amount of training it takes is amazing.

I hate when they turn the cameras and audio off.

That's the advantage of sitting in the gallery...you still get to see what's happening.

Thank you Less for todays play by play. Arthritis won't let me keep up. :)

SG, that is a good cause for sure. I have a friend who does Search and Rescue with her dog and I was going to take some training classes on it, but my friend tried a few basic training exercises with her and we decided that like flyball, agility, sheep herding, it'd be another thing on the list that my couch potato dog didn't enjoy doing. LOL

I just got in from walking my couch potato and turned on the video just in time for the whole, "Is the camera on?" followed by it being turned off.

What is going on?

The state had announced they were going to call Officer Dismukes to the stand and then the judge cut everything off, so we don't know what exactly is happening at this point.

I think it has to do with the issues yesterday...the introduction of evidence by the defense during the Prosecution CIC.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrsrb10