1054 users online (228 members and 826 guests)  

Websleuths News

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

NY - George Delany, 21, Rochester, 12 March 2011

I thought his case had already been posted. New updates to come....seems more serious now.

http://online.wsj.com/article/AP420c...ef59a67a1.html

WAYLAND, N.Y. New York State Police say they're searching for a college student from Maryland who hasn't been heard from since leaving his off-campus residence in suburban Rochester last weekend.

Troopers say George Delany's car was found Sunday afternoon abandoned in a field in the rural village of Wayland, in northern Steuben County about 40 miles south of Rochester.

Police say the 21-year-old from Frederick, Md., was last seen Saturday leaving his apartment in the town of Chili (CHYE'-lye). Police say when he left he said he would be right back. He was officially reported missing Tuesday.

Delany attends the Rochester Institute of Technology, where he's a junior political science major.

Police have searched an area around a lake near where Delany's car was found. They plan to resume the search Wednesday morning

I had not heard of this young man at all yet. Hopefully he will be found safe, but having his car that far away without any sign of George is not good.
    "The opinion prevailed among advanced minds that it was time that belief should be replaced increasingly by knowledge; belief that did not itself rest on knowledge was superstition, and as such had to be opposed." - Albert Einstein

http://www.wetmtv.com/news/local/sto...A3tywU7LQ.cspx

Police have been searching the woods for 21 year old George Delany of Frederick, Maryland, who's been missing since Saturday.
    But they’ve found no trace of him.
    George Delany was last seen Saturday by his roommate, Andrew Baker, leaving his apartment in the town of Chili.

"We were getting ready to go to the gym-- and he said be right back and that's the last we heard from him."
    New York State Police Captain Rick Allen says, “When he didn't arrive back, his mom became worried and contacted public safety at RIT and the balls went rolling from there."
    Delany is a junior Political Science major at the Rochester Institute of Technology.

According to State Police, Delany's car was found Sunday afternoon abandoned in a field off Ward Road in the Village of Wayland, about 50 miles South of Rochester.
    State police say they will continue the search through the evening.

No foul play is suspected.

UPDATE

http://www.13wham.com/news/local/sto...Zr2mFRigg.cspx
    Wayland, N.Y. - There’s new information on the search for a missing RIT student. State Police have spoken to a witness who saw George Delany on Saturday, the night he disappeared. For the first time we also hear from or his worried parents.“There’s a quarter of my life that’s just not there,” says his father who is also named George. George Delany spoke from the family home in Frederick, Maryland. He says his son was under stress at school and work but it was nothing out of the ordinary. “He had no fear in him. I said okay, he’s had a tough few days but he’s getting better.”
    The search for the 21-year-old who’s in his third year at RIT is centered on two locations in Steuben County. State Police say his car was found off Ward Road in the Town of Wayland. Police also received a ping from his cell phone 4 miles from that location.On Wednesday morning K-9 units began a grid-pattern search of the both areas. Captain Rick Allen of the NY State Police says it looks as though Delany pulled off on a logging trail, perhaps to turn around, then became stuck in the mud. A driver crossed paths with the car twice. The first time he offered help.
    “He talked to him, he declined help and said he knew someone in the area,” explains Captain Allen. “When he (the Good Samaritan) came by later, there was a white Ford Escape hooked up to the car trying to pull it out.” But the car was never moved.
    It sits empty in the same location.
    State police now want to talk with the driver of the Ford Escape or anyone who saw the SUV. They do not suspect foul play but it is one of several leads they are following. They also say Delany’s cell phone has been shut off or is out of power and that a small amount of money was withdrawn from his bank account through an ATM near where the car was discovered.
    His parents hope he was headed home to Maryland. “I’m just sort of numb, and I just know he’s out there,” says his mother Susan Delany. “If you see this, George we love you.”

Not sure whether that info makes things better or worse.Why wouldn't he just have called for help once he realized his car was stuck? AAA or his parents or a friend?
    "The opinion prevailed among advanced minds that it was time that belief should be replaced increasingly by knowledge; belief that did not itself rest on knowledge was superstition, and as such had to be opposed." - Albert Einstein

George's FB page: http://www.facebook.com/#!/george.delany

Two very different looks George is sporting:

Quote Originally Posted by TripleA View Post
    Not sure whether that info makes things better or worse.Why wouldn't he just have called for help once he realized his car was stuck? AAA or his parents or a friend?
    True. So many questions with this new info. Did he WALK 4 miles from the scene? Does the ATM have video shots?? Is the other 'eye witness' just a good samaritan or is he the actual last person to see George (i.e. no other vehicle).

Also, his friend at RIT says that they were about to go to the gym and George said he would be right back. But, according to LE, the car was found 40 miles from RIT......way too far for him to 'be right back'. MOO.

I wonder which photo is more current...he looks entirely different, depending on the hair...
    Just my opinion, of course.

Quote Originally Posted by cluciano63 View Post
    I wonder which photo is more current...he looks entirely different, depending on the hair...
    This is JUST a guess, but I believe the long hair is more recent. First, it's his FB profile pic. Second, his friends and roomates at RIT all have longer hair, while his old high school friends from back home in Maryland are all sporting very short hair cuts.

Again, no real knowledge....just thinking that he was likely fitting in with his friends at RIT. MOO.

Quote Originally Posted by cluciano63 View Post
    I agree..looks totally different. Since the long-haired one is his FB profile pic, I would say that is the most recent.

They should probably just use the one, whichever it is, that looks most like him, unless it gets to a point where he is gone so long that they think maybe he changed his look...but it doesn't really sound like he just decided to take off to me.
    Just my opinion, of course.

George's car was NOT assisted out of the mud:

http://www.eveningtribune.com/newsno...nt-intensifies

Search for missing RIT student unsuccessful

State Police searched by helicopter for a missing Rochester Institute of Technology student today, but to no avail.

[snip]

It’s unclear what troopers might do next. State Police were out from about 10 a.m. to 5 p.m. today, O’Donnell said. They traversed that area because of a possible match from Delany’s cell phone and a nearby cell tower, O’Donnell said.

More: http://www.democratandchronicle.com/article/20110318/NEWS01/110318048/0/webster/Search-missing-RIT-student-unsuccessful?odyssey=nav|head

this is from a Maryland based new org. Hopefully George is just having some emotional meltdown and is okay:

http://www.fredericknewspost.com/sec...StoryID=118544

Boy, this one hits close to home. I went to another university in Rochester, and many, many of my friends were RIT students.

I hope George just needed some time away and comes home soon. Thinking of his friends and family.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast